Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: My chances of harvard mba offer? [#permalink]
britishlawyer wrote:
Hi guys,

this is my first post here so not sure if I'm doing this right, so bare with.

i am a british student who is due to complete my post grad (Legal Practice Course i.e. the bar) in june 2014, and am aiming for a distinction (highest mark- i dont know what this would be in terms of GPA)
i've been thinking about applying for Harvard's MBA.

I did my undergraduate at a not so prestigious UK university (ex poly) graduating with a LLB Law 2.1 Hons (believe thats around the 3.5-7 mark right?). After speaking with my tutor and telling her about my MBA aspirations I've been doing GMAT mocks with her, amongst studying for grad school. My average marks so far have been around 725-30. I have a good level of experience and softs etc. I just wanted someone to give me an idea of my standing....?

I apologise if this message seems all over the place! Any insight would be extremely helpful! Thanks guys

The message is all over the place, to be honest.

1. Legal Practice Course -- honestly, that's probably not going to be of much relevance. It is by no means a very difficult or selective program (believe me, I've seen enough of the graduates of these programs in interviews and at work to be able to judge that it is a poor predictor of success in the practice of law--a better predictor is where they got their LLB) and isn't likely to compensate for any deficiencies in your undergraduate performance. Have you obtained a training contract with a law firm (and if so, please give a rough indication of the firm's standing, e.g. Magic Circle, Silver Circle, regional, you don't need to name names)? That will be another key data point. Based on the fact that you're doing the LPC, I'm going to assume (and you may correct me if I'm wrong) that you do not have much (if any) work experience as a lawyer.

2. A 2.1 Honours is by no means near a 3.5 - 3.7 GPA. Generally, that would indeed be closer to a 3.1 or 3.2 GPA, which is pretty far below the average at most top business schools. Also, the pedigree of your law school is definitely going to be an issue; at HBS (and any other top b-school) you will be competing against candidates with a 1st from Oxbridge. What makes you a better choice than one of them?

3. A decent GMAT score might help, especially if you manage to do well on the quantitative section. Did you have any quantitative coursework in school (probably not at university but at the GCE)?

4. What is your end goal post-MBA? Why do you NEED one? This matters a lot. What is your story? What differentiates you from hundreds of other applicants with equal or better experience, grades, and pedigree? What have you done that shows that you have the potential to change the world? Without this, you can have a 1st from Oxbridge, a job at a Magic Circle firm, and still not get an invite to interview, let alone an admit.

I'm not seeing a lot of coherence here and without further details, I'm going to hazard a guess that you'd be unlikely to be competitive.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived HBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our HBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated HBS Forum for all fresh things related to the HBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts