Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Human Resources, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: My First GMAT SCORE less than 500 [#permalink]
funguy1 wrote:
I am not trying to be mean, but do really think quitting your job would allow to get to a 720, 94th percentile? That means in a group of 100 you have to be the 6th best (94th percentile). The call of an MBA is great, but quitting your job seems like a bit much. Also had you taken practice tests, how were you doing on those. How focused was your ten day study period. If that was very focused I don't think studying more is going to make a 200 point difference? Please don't quit your job it is too much of a gamble. Also are you really good enough at math to work through the hard problems that quickly? I (luckily enough) can do 2/3 of the hard problems in my head, so I have a decent shot at at 52 in math because that gives me the time I need for the ones I can't. If you aren't close to that level on math you're not going to get a super high score. You might be able to do a bit better, but it seems like you have already put a bunch of time in an there are diminishing returns.

Hey, First of all thanks a lot for the reply. But yes , I really want to be the 6th best if at all it is possible. :) Lack of practice was a mistake , I thought knowing all the strategies would be enough , so concentrated on them . But I did not practice their application on the problems. I'm pretty much confident them i could solve any quant problem , But timing to solve them ?? very poor and bad , sometimes i even take 9 to 10 minutes. though end up with the answer being correct, when i see the clock it is almost 10 minutes, and that makes be very tensed. Plus , Data Sufficiency :( Awww , i just hate those. Coming on the Verbal part , Since English is not my native language , so you know how it gonna be. Again timing problem for comprehension . At the base , Grammar and vocabulary. Seeing on the whole, Yes i have to do a lot of hard work now. Actually I should start from the Bottom. But I'm ready to Do it . Kindly Help me on this. Before , I did not have any book to study. I used only few videos and online ebooks.

As soon as i reached home after my exam, I have ordered the Official guide of gmat -2016! And i also have the 9th guide - Integrated reasoning and AWA of MGMAT. What else should i buy ? I think there are enough materials in net , SO i 'm not planning to join any classes ??

The reason why i wanted to Quit is , I suppose You might know how most of the Indian I.T companies employees work. Moreover , every week i have alternate shifts and traveling from my home to office is nearly 60 kms ! totally 4 hours a day goes in travel itself :(
Your words will be helpful to me , thanks

Pradeep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pradeepbaskaran3,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their GMAT studies, so my immediate response to your situation is that you did not put in enough time and effort to score at a high level. I'll be happy to offer some advice, but I'd like to know a bit more about you overall goals/plans first:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) Do you know what Schools you're planning to apply to?

3) Assuming that you kept your job, how many hours could you commit to studying during a typical week (over the course of 3 months)?

In answer to your questions... It's okay that you cancelled your score (it would not have hurt your applications if you had kept it though). Most GMATers have busy lives outsides of studying, so you're not alone (and quitting your job is probably not necessary).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School? - 2016 applications
2) Do you know what Schools you're planning to apply to? - planning for Canada . McgHill / Alberta / Concordia
3) Assuming that you kept your job, how many hours could you commit to studying during a typical week (over the course of 3 months)? - I almost travel for 4 hours a day (2 hours up and 2 for down). Moreover alternate weekly Shifts. Probably i could use only the weekends :( Travelling makes very tired and unable concentrate, And Even if i could the I.T job nature shuts my mind :(

Please help me with a plan that i could use most effectively.
thanks a lot for the reply.

Pradeep
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Pradeep,

The amount of time that you have to spend traveling to your job will certainly make all of this challenging, but there are still ways to fit in some studying on a daily basis...IF you're willing to make some adjustments to your daily routine.

Most people do their best 'thinking' early in the day (as opposed to doing that thinking at the end of the day, when their minds are already tired). Could you wake up earlier and study before you go to work? Could you wake up earlier, get to your job early, then study for a bit beforehand?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot