Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
rankings aside (there's a whole other "firestorm" thread for that one ;)), I agree with riverripper that the top 15 schools as defined in the "Ultra-Elite" and "Elite" sections will all give you a pretty good GM education. It really depends on *where* you want to work and what you want to do with that education that matters for schools.

If you don't care where you work or what company/field you want to be in, then I would pick the schools based on their alumni base and how willing their alumni are in helping you find a job. That will probably benefit you long after the name of your MBA wears off.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop - I was under the impression that those 2 schools were taught in Spanish. If so, that poses a problem for me. Although I have a decent ability to speak the language, I would not feel 100% comfortable being educated in it.

As for Chicago, I definitely think I need to put it higher. I will probably try to visit it sometime in the near future since I am only 3 hours away.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
You maybe right. However they have english classes and they also teach in english and spanish - I have a vague recollection of reading it somewhere but I did not follow it up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
1. Harvard Business School (Boston, MA)
2. Stanford Graduate School of Business (Stanford, CA)
3. International Institute for Management Development (Lausanne, Switzerland)
4. University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business (Philadelphia, PA)
5. London Business School (London, England)
6. Dartmouth College, Tuck School of Business (Hanover, NH)
7. INSEAD Business School (Fontainebleau, France)
8. Yale School of Management (New Haven, CT)
9. Columbia Business School (New York, NY)
10. University of Chicago Graduate School of Business (Chicago, IL)
11. Instituto de Empresa Business School (Madrid, Spain)
12. University of California at Berkeley, Haas School of Business (Berkeley, CA)
13. Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management (Evanston, IL)
14. University of Cambridge, Judge Business School (Cambridge, England)
15. New York University, Stern School of Business (New York, NY)
16. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sloan School of Management (Cambridge, MA)
17. IESE Business School (Barcelona, Spain)
18. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Ross School of Business (Ann Arbor, MI)
19. University of Virginia, Darden School of Business Administration (Charlottesville, VA)
20. China Europe International Business School (Shanghai, China)
21. Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (Durham, NC)
22. University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson School of Management (Los Angeles, CA)
23. University of Oxford, Said Business School (Oxford, England)
24. HEC School of Management (Paris, France)
25. Cornell University, Johnson School of Management (Ithaca, NY)
26. ESADE Business School (Barcelona, Spain)

Updated my list. Included more as you can see, but this will of course be whittled down as the time goes on and I get closer to actually applying. I really like my Top 10. From there, it kind of gets a little sketchy for me in some places because none of them really stand out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Come up with a very high level requirement first - like I'll study in the US only, or I'll study in a school that's located in a Metro area, or I'll study at a Finance-heavy school etc etc.

This will bring your list down to 8-10 decent schools. Then start studying about them and decide. Right now you are playing with a lot of schools
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I would be happy with just the Top 10 listed above, but I would like to include a "safety," although Yale would probably be close.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great. The criteria of picking the top 10 schools already made your life much easier. Now first of all, forget about the schools from number 11 onwards. Researching the top 10 schools, weighing their benefits and your fit, finding people who know about those schools and planning visits to some of them is going to take a lot of time .. so you shouldn't even look at other schools.

I started my research with an ods sheet (Excel sheet for my Windows brothers) with 17 schools that I kinda liked. I wrote down their GMAT medians, avg salaries, selectivity percentages etc. Then I started looking at schools that are in metro areas (My wife should be able to work when I study) .. so that took some schools out (Although Tuck still calls out for me from time to time. I still have Tuck in my Sept-end east-coast visit plans too). Then I started researching the remaining schools .. and guess what .. I've been able to select only two schools so far (And I am feeling that Stan is going to be my school number 3 in R1). My research on other schools is still going on (And the pants pooping sections help) .. and will go on till Sept end.

Oh, we were talking about you! Yeah, so now that you're down to 10 schools, start researching them .. and I am pretty sure that you will be able to find your 4-6 gems :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]