Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Banjeerea thanks for the kinds words. I agree, you do have to expose yourself a little to the adcomm (not literally of course b/c that would surely result in a ding, think about it going to an interview stark naked saying, "I have nothing to hide" I think Winston Churchill did that once :lol: ). And yes I agree it is a game, but it is one where you balance that "mushy stuff" with actual legitimate stuff. I think achieving that balance is incredibly difficult. I was born in the US and have been here for a while so I have the "mushy stuff" down cold :-D But I don't think I did a good enough job of representing the importance of the legitimate stuff. Because I am a scientist I found it difficult to communicate effectively the importance and the relevance of what I do to the big picture without being technical and boring. So I focused a lot on the "mushy" stuff and if I were to redo the whole process again (please GOD let me get into Fuqua so I don't have too!!! Your prayers are needed and GREATLY appreciated Baneerjea!!!) I would try to incorporate in some more of the "legitimate stuff".
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great post green! I wholeheartedly agree with what you say. A perfect candidate would indeed not need an MBA and my stats are indeed less than perfect but I guess that's what the adcoms were looking for.

At times, I am even wondering how I got into B-school given my very modest CV. At those CV workshops at school, I had to do some major CV surgery and honestly, what it looks like today is nowhere like what it did when I applied to B-school. Writing your CV is an art, just as it is when you want to present yourself in a certain way in the application essays. I guess my CV now is still myself but embellished so as to make it look more presentable, competitive.

I understand the anxiety of going through the application process and respect the courage you have to talk about it, even before the potential good news. Not many people talk about the process unless they have good news to share. Good luck for Fuqua!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
greenandwise,
Thanks for sharing your experience and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the MBA application process. Getting into an MBA program is all about presenting yourself and not just GMAT...gees I am sick of this 4 letter word!

I know people who got into Stanford but were rejected by columbia and I am sure there are many people with such experiences. The moral of the story is that there is no right and no wrong, it's when, as banerjee states, you can melt an adcomm's heart!

I can understand the anxiety you are going thru as I too was waitlisted at NYU and then dinged. So hang in there my friend! Wish you all the best for Fuqua.

spiderman
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish you the best of luck with Duke.

I am, however, somewhat saddened by your post- I would have gladly helped you construct a portfolio of strong schools for free.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
My prayers r with u man! I do have a feeling that u will get in Duke. Ur "I have nothing to hide" comment had me in splits :lol:

One litmus test on style and content of ur essays is that if ur "mother" can't understand 100% of what u r saying in ur essay then ur essay is not complete yet. Revise and revise till a layman can understand ur essays 100%.Remember adcomms mite not know jack abt ur industry and its terms.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This thread has influenced me to comment on the selection of schools some people make and what a school's name and reputation really mean. I have had this "arguement" with a handful of applicants on the BW forums, and while I am no real expert - I only have my experiences as an applicant as evidence - I think my comments have some merit.

I think too many people place way too much emphasis on rank and reputation. As we all know the admission process is a mysterious and imperfect process, even to applicants with the best stats. Too many people apply to just H/S/W based on rank. These schools are so different from each other I cannot see how any one applicant can fit into each program. It is all about fit and the adcoms know this. But somehow some people think that going to a top 5 school is the only way to go anything less is unacceptable. While I think that rank holds some ground, I think it is WAY over emphasized. I hear about M7 schools and it is bunch of BS. Some schools offer better faculty in certain areas, but with all things equal if you go anywhere in the top 30 schools and you work hard you will get the same education as everyone else. Finance is finance, accounting is accounting, etc. The only thing a top ranked school will get you is better access to jobs directly after school. Five years after school, where you went doesn't really matter, it is your performance and drive, and those are things top 5 schools cannot teach you. My father got his MBA from a school not even in the top 50 and he successfully started his own PE shop and is about to finish completeing a 750 million dollar fund. Most of his partners got their MBA from smaller unknown schools. They are not the exception to the rule. If you look at the top leaders at fortune 500 companies, for those who have MBAs, most don't have them from a top 50 school.

Even when those who apply to the top 5 schools don't get into them, they stick to their guns and reapply to the same 3 top schools. They just cannot go to anything less. While I commend them on their determination, it is like investing your life savings in 3 very risky stocks. The stocks could grow, which would be great, but chances are that they won't. Like your stock portfolio, the schools you pick should be well diversified.

I think I have rambled too much and have gone way off topic. I apologize. I guess the moral of the story is when you pick the schools to apply to based on rank and reputation you are doing yourself and every other applicant a disservice. Find one that fits your needs and your personality. Your hard work and determination will take you places, not your school's rank.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the well wishes guys!!!

Paul: I talk about the process even though I have had no success with it b/c there are many posts on gmayclub.com about how people aced the GMAT and/or got into their dream school with a high or low GPA/GMAT. Those who fail don't seem to write enough and in my life atleast I have learned more from failures than my successes. While I think the posts from sucessful applicants are useful and can give hope I feel that a fresh injection of realism is in order! :-D Also I completely understand how you feel with regard to your CV/Resume. Selling yourself is probably the best and most useful skill you learn during your MBA.

Spiderman: Thanks man. NYU does not seem to know what is good for it.

Hjort: When I read your post to read people's essays I was up and ready to take advantage of your service!!! But after I wrote my essays and checked back you had written a post saying that you were overflooded with essays. So I decided instead to use 4 friends to edit my essays and le me tell you that althouhgh I am grateful for their help, it was very difficult. It would have been much better to have someone like you. I am in the process of writing my "update" letter to Fuqua so that I can potentially get off the waitlist. I need help addressing things that I did not in my essays, could you help me????

Baneerjea: Thanks for the litmus test advice but I don't think it wil be very useful considering that my mom is a genius!! I 'll try dad :wink:

Chris: I agree with you wholeheartedly on the picking of the schools comment. It is true you can get a quality educaton anywhere. This is true for undergraduate as well. I went to Santa Clara U. A GREAT undergrad achool in my opinion but obviously nothing close to reputation to Stanford/Berkeley/UCLA. In the work place I had to work twice as hard to get what the people from Stanford and Berkeley got immediately, which is instant credibility. People just assumed these people were smart, and although most were, so was I, but I had to prove it. I eventually did but it would have been nice to have the benefit of the doubt and ultimately I think that is what going to one of those programs gives you, the benefit of thedoubt. You can be successful getting an MBA from anywhere. If ou have drive and ambition and just enough smarts, where you get your MBA is really irrlevant, but I don't want to have to go thru the hassle of having to prove to people that I am smart. I would rather have that assumption already made so I can blaze a path with the quality of work that I do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am so touched at your determination to suceed, Greenandwise. Somehow, we all cannot tell what adcom wants, as has been said. Frankly, I thought about lying (strong word - i'll rather say exargerating my achievements) in my application because i felt (just as you said), the naked one always gets dinged. It's a crazy (and annoying) process. I recently read of someone who had a perfect GMAT and GPA score and yet was dinged all the way to his pants! It does seem as if a couple of folks are pleased toying with ones b*lls.

Hang in there, my friend, and believe! Fuqua will take you. All of a sudden, I have started to believe in the power of prayers and i'll certainly be praying with you. Perhaps a special prayer for you tonight should start it.

(Just aside) Baner just reminded me of what i did while i was reviewing my essays. I am an IT person, with lots of IT junk in my techie-robot head and i actually read my essays to my mother (she has a high-school level certificate) just to be sure that she understood all the thrash i was talking about. I think it paid off. I made quite a number of ammendments after she reviewed the essays and the essays began to become crystal-simple.

Let's know how it goes man, and be optimistic. Have faith.

Arsene.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in at Fuqua. I just found out the day before yesterday. I really have NO IDEA what to do with myself but drink and go crazy!!!!!! Thank you all. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all of you who offered me your advice!!! I feel so lucky, so blessed, so grateful. I plan to make the best of it. I plan to blaze a trail. I have to. Too many people have talked me up with recommendation letters, I have to live up to all that they have written. I am off to celebrate more, but let this be a lesson for those of you who are underdogs. If you can't walk in with finesse, CLAW your way in.....grace is over-rated. :shock: :-D
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATS!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you Hjort. I am sorry I did not mention you specifically. Your help with editing my waitlist essay was extremely valuable and much appreciated. One of those many thank you was meant for you.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulation greenandwise! Fantastic news that to be accepted at Fuqua! I admire your determination and hardwork. Very inspiring! :good
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How could I miss this story? !???

Congratulations and good luck with everything!!!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats G&W!! I told you so :-D
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]