Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My TOEFL debrief : 111/120

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 1

My TOEFL debrief : 111/120 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
Took TOEFL 10 days back and received my score today.
R:27 L:26 S:30 W:28

After a lot of thinking on whether I should even take TOEFL ( I have graduated from a University where English is the medium of teaching), I registered for it since few of my R2 schools required it.

Since I was keeping too busy with work, all the preparation I did was 2-3 hrs of practice with the sample questions that I downloaded when I registered for iBT.

Experience with the real test

Reading
The passages are long but not difficult. If you have taken GMAT recently, you should be able to tackle this easily.
In my case, its been 4 months since I took GMAT and had lost practice with reading passages and answering questions.
Do keep an eye on the timer as you tend to take longer time on reading.

Listening
The accent is quite easy to understand especially if you have been watching english movies or listening to audiobooks. The biggest issue I faced here was to grasp all the information they were giving out as part of the conversations. I was scribbling down almost everything they were speaking as I didn't know from which part the questions would be asked.
On top of it, I was exhausted and hungry since I had reached the exam centre quite early in the morning and had a very early breakfast. I just wanted to complete the section and take the break.

Advice : Stay mentally alert in this section as you can easily miss information.

Break
I stepped out, washed my face, drank some chilled water and felt much better.

Speaking
Well, first of all I didn't expect a 30/30 considering I am an international applicant :-). So happy with this perfect 30.
During the test, the first question threw me off when I realised I had very less time to gather my thoughts and speak out the answer ( Note: I never practised this section before) . I did not complete my answer in the given time. The timer went off while I was still speaking.

After that I took control of myself and performed quite well on rest of the questions. I spoke quickly and always summarized my answer in the last few seconds. Making notes while listening / reading helped me frame my answers well.

Writing
Writing seemed the most relaxed of all the sections. I had ample time to write and review my answers. I used the templates I had prepared for AWA section of GMAT.

Overall, I am happy with my score. TOEFL is done!! yay!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q32 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: My TOEFL debrief : 111/120 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 05:12
Congrats on the score, and thanks for the debrief :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: My TOEFL debrief : 111/120 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 07:39
Congrats and thank you for sharing!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 118

Re: My TOEFL debrief : 111/120 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 20:25
Good job man.

I have mine scheduled for 4th of Mar. I am a little concerned about the speaking section being an international applicant (Indian). Hope things go fine.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: My TOEFL debrief : 111/120 [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 12:38
girlinblack, did you come across any of these question types?
Re: My TOEFL debrief : 111/120   [#permalink] 29 Feb 2012, 12:38