Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Name vs Money vs Age [#permalink]
I agree with the two posters above, and would highlight one other thing from your original post. You seem to be keen on leaving your industry and possibly your function for something new. I think this is where a FT MBA can come in especially useful. With the added resources of the Career Services department, additional on-campus recruitment and information options, and generally much closer connections to your classmates/future network, I think career switchers benefit much more from a full-time program. I myself am going from non-profit/consulting to entrepreneurship.

Regarding finances, you may also be surprised at exactly how much money is out there for those who are seeking it. If non-profit (or B-Corps, or social entrepreneurship) is something you might consider in the future, many schools have very generous loan-forgiveness packages. Likewise, if you are any form of URM, and with your (assumed very high) GMAT score and prestige education, you have a relatively good chance to receive aid in the form of scholarships from these top schools.

I think the most telling argument will be made when you visit a campus and get a feel for what the full-time program is like. It is a very different feel from a part-time program – more familial, more intensive, and a greater sense of purpose, even though distractions occur in similar quantities. Go on some visits, and then go with your gut.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Kudos
So I was older than you when I matriculated, came from the financial services industry (buy side), was pretty sure I didn't want to go back. I don't know what it's like at a part time program, but if you go to a top full-time program pretty much every door is open to you. I'm heading to M/B/B consulting, and had the time of my life in the process. People quibble over loans and how much money it is to get the degree, but in the end you are going to make the money back many times over - look at the average salary statistics for graduates. I have had an amazing experience at Tuck, and the value I attained from the two years is worth much more to me than what I paid.

As for the have to work as a consultant to pay back the debt, I worked in tech strategy for my internship and the base salary for the offer was close to the consulting gig. You don't have to do banking or consulting to make good money.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi man.

I tend to discount the value of MBA, the opportunities it gives and how many "doors are open to you." given the time and money you spent there, your current experience, your current job position and salary.
Regarding opening many doors: career switchers or guys (without previous experience in PE/HF/IB) who want to work in PE or hedge fund or IB , now in current economic environment dont think that so many doors are open to them. Doors may be open, but not those they want.

I know some guys aged 27-31 (I talk about applicants from Eastern Europe, not US) who experience career progression, stay away from business schools, since they dont want to stop in their career growth.
For them the question is "why I need to spent 2 years away from work I like a lot, get a $200k loan and after graduation receive the same of or even lower salary that I can earn now or in couple of years."

You must know your goals, predict your career growth with or without MBA.

By the way consider European 1 -year MBA programs such as IMD or INSEAD, or LBS (15 months).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Kudos
I don't necessarily disagree with you - if you like/love your job, are on a clear and upward path, and can see good progression in the future it doesn't make much sense to drop off the track and get an MBA. I am not sure this is the situation for the original poster.

Maybe its different in Europe but here in the US your statement about not being able to go into banking without prior banking experience has not been the case in my experience. The top MBA programs are feeders into the bank associate programs and the majority of offers into banking (there were a lot) were people who had no banking experience, and a large amount with no previous finance experience at all. Those who did have previous experience in banking were trying to move into better companies, and they were definitely in the minority. As for PE/HF, it is definitely a harder path, but its hard in general to get into these industries. It depends on how bad you want it, how much you are willing to hustle, and how long you are willing to wait.

I think the 1 year euro programs are great, but if you want to career switch I think there are advantages to going to a two year program where you can 1) have an internship over the summer 2) have more time to figure out what you want to do.

PTK wrote:
Hi man.

I tend to discount the value of MBA, the opportunities it gives and how many "doors are open to you." given the time and money you spent there, your current experience, your current job position and salary.
Regarding opening many doors: career switchers or guys (without previous experience in PE/HF/IB) who want to work in PE or hedge fund or IB , now in current economic environment dont think that so many doors are open to them. Doors may be open, but not those they want.

I know some guys aged 27-31 (I talk about applicants from Eastern Europe, not US) who experience career progression, stay away from business schools, since they dont want to stop in their career growth.
For them the question is "why I need to spent 2 years away from work I like a lot, get a $200k loan and after graduation receive the same of or even lower salary that I can earn now or in couple of years."

You must know your goals, predict your career growth with or without MBA.

By the way consider European 1 -year MBA programs such as IMD or INSEAD, or LBS (15 months).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
A) Full-time program offers the collaboration and depth of networking that would be hard to emulate in a part-time program. Some full-time programs also offer better career exits, since school exclude part-timers from certain career related events. If you do decide to do part-time, go to a school that is inclusive of part-timers, and is close (so you can attend the events regularly).
B) This is not a problem. 29 is only slightly above the average age at b-school.
C) Debt can be repaid in time if you attend a top program. Plus, the salary isn't much lower in other industries, although the salary/bonus increase may not be as rapid as it is in banking.

Given your description, you seem to be someone who wants to pursue your own definition of “success.” I think you have to ask yourself what is your post-MBA goal. If you want to advance in consulting or banking, MBA is the right of passage. If you want to do something else, it may not be necessary to do full-time MBA. For example, some top leadership rotational programs also considers internal candidates. My boss during my summer internship had a part-time degree, and several of my future colleagues in an extremely competitive leadership development program attended MBA part-time. What do you want to do after your MBA?

Quote:
“I was told that I should go to the best graduate school that I could get in to.”

I don’t agree with this statement especially given what you have written. You need to pick the program that is right for you. Through my experience, I realized that as long as the companies/industries actively recruit for the role(s) you are looking for at the school, you are on good footing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I tend to agree with the above posters about the value of a FT MBA. But I think bschool is an immensely personal decision. Without more information about your current gig and future goals, we are really just articulating why FT bschool is right for us.

However, if I calculate a strict hard dollars only ROI, an MBA isn't a "good investment" for me personally.
But I judge the value of my education to include my personal development, professional development, network, friendships, break from consulting madness, future salary, time spent playing tripod hockey in NH, resume prestige-builder, and a whole host of other items that can't be so easily input into a spreadsheet.

Bottom line: there isn't a right answer, just a right answer for where you are and where you want to be.

PPS: at 29, I hardly think you've "aged out" of FT programs.
GMAT Club Bot