Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice for program selection - desperate for direction!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advice for program selection - desperate for direction! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 00:52
This is my first post here and hope you guys don't find it ridiculous!
I'm a computer engineer (worked for IBM for 5 months, quit and then) did 2 yr full time Post Graduate Diploma in Business Mgmt (considered an MBA for all practical purposes in India) majored in Finance and for past 3 yrs have been working as an Investment Banker (jointly also doing the role of Exec. Assistant to the MD so for 2 yrs exposed to Strategy & General Management)

Now I want to get out of the domestic rut. Thought going back to the school for a 1 yr course is a good option and a program in US/UK/Canada (in that order of preference) that combines Technology, Finance & Strategy - would be perfect for me. However, so far am unable to find any course that fits the bill so have started looking at MS in MIS, MS Fin, MS in Management and even Post-MBA 1 yr full time course from some place like Thunderbird.

I have word-list phobia - have tried and abandoned the plans to write GRE. Hence taking GMAT now. So the course that I apply to needs to be accepting GMAT score rather than GRE.

As for MBA/Post MBA program at a good school, am sure having an MBA-sort of a degree is a deterrent and besides most of these don't have any aid programs and the tuition is prohibitively expensive. So for the most part my only option is an MS program (so it seems).

Am thoroughly and royally confused about giving any direction to my career and any suggestion/direction/tip/advice from you'all will be a huge help!

Thanks !
Am
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: Need advice for program selection - desperate for direction! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:10
If you were unable to study for the GRE, how will you be able to study for the GMAT? The test format is very similar.

Given your experience, an MBA might be the way to go. Whatever you choose to do will depend on your career goals. What are you trying to do after your degree?

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: Need advice for program selection - desperate for direction!   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2013, 10:10