Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need help! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 15:04
Ok, so I wrote a similar topic before but that was when this was a hypothetical situation..

I ultimately want to pursue a phd in organizational behavior but am taking a couple years off before graduate school and working. I currently have two job offers for the upcoming year:

one is a RA/lab coordinator job at a top university in a field related to what I would be interested in (but not quite) and has opportunities for publication;

the other is a research associate job at a company that does i/o psychology research and consulting for many different companies (including very well-known ones)

In terms of admissions for phd programs, which one would be more helpful? I need to get back to them quickly and I am completely torn. A couple other factors (which are less important) are that the one at the university would require me to relocate halfway across the country and also that it would pay less (but again, these are less important factors since this is more for the experience).

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for any help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 16:40
For the purpose of PhD admission, take the university job. It gives you an opportunity to get a strong recommendation from a faculty (read http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42808).

If you have sufficient space in your SOP, you can describe how you turn down an offer for a "research associate job at a company that does i/o psychology research" for the one at the university because you are really passionate about academic research.

Note: I have nothing against working in the industry. I myself worked for 6 years in the industry and value the experience. Actually, for OB, a little working experience may be good and useful. However, if you are very focus on getting a PhD, it is best to stick closely to anything academic & research.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 13:02
Thanks tkkoh! The recommendation would definitely help as my 3rd letter and of course, the connections I make with faculty there could also be valuable in the future. I think I will take your advice and go with the university research job.
  [#permalink] 22 Jun 2007, 13:02