Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Need urgent advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SpiritualAtheist,

Since this is a score report for GMAC CAT 5, I have to assume that you've taken the prior 4 Official CATs. You have not provided any basis for comparison though, so we need to know more about how this score compares to your prior scores. I also have a few questions about how you took your CATs:

1) How did you score on each CAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi SpiritualAtheist,

Since this is a score report for GMAC CAT 5, I have to assume that you've taken the prior 4 Official CATs. You have not provided any basis for comparison though, so we need to know more about how this score compares to your prior scores. I also have a few questions about how you took your CATs:

1) How did you score on each CAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I bought the complete set of exams by GMAC -- tried the 5th one directly -- Two months back, I gave the GMAC CAT 1 and scored 620 (Q-47, V-28) but it was not a serious attempt. Hence, I didn't report the score in this thread.

Following are the required answers to your questions :

1. Same as above
2. I took the entire CAT each time (including Essay and IR)
3. Yes, I took the exam at home (But, I tried to simulate the exam conditions w/o any distracting factors)
4. Yes, I took the exam at the same time as my official GMAT
5. Nope
6. Yes, as mentioned earlier, I took the CAT more than once. No questions were repeated.

I am not sure whether joining an online course for the next 30 days would help or not. I don't want to change my present style of approach at the final juncture. What do you recommend?

TIA. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SpiritualAtheist,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). By extension, your recent performance has shown no significant improvement over the initial CAT that you took 2 months ago. If 'your way' of studying is going to continue to earn you a score right around a 600, then there's no way that this approach can get you to a 700+ in 30 days. As such, you should seriously consider pushing back your Test Date. Beyond needing to learn/practice some new Tactics, you've likely developed some 'bad habits' during your studies that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). While you can certainly take the GMAT as planned, you'll almost certain end up paying to retake it again later.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SpiritualAtheist,

Since you have been studying for a number of months and are still pretty far away from your score goal, you may consider following my advice and adopting a more linear and targeted approach to your studying. Otherwise you may find yourself on a gerbil wheel (going round and round and not making any progress).

In regard to your verbal score, I understand that you are concerned about RC, given that it’s your weakest topic; however, you will also need to increase your SC and CR knowledge to drive up your verbal score.

So, although you seem set on taking the exam in 32 days, you still may consider rescheduling to a later date so you can adopt a new study approach.

Also, once you take my diagnostic, feel free to reach out to me directly so we can review the results together.

If you have any further questions let me know; I’m always happy to help.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot