Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New York Columbia/NYU - transporation car/motorcycle

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

New York Columbia/NYU - transporation car/motorcycle [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 10:45
I was looking into Columbia/NYU housing and associated transportation. Since everyone in NYC uses the transit system and warns against having a car, what about using a motorcycle to move around the city? I don't have a car, but I have 3 motorcycles and I cant dream of selling any of them. Just wanted to know from native new yorkers/ columbia NYU applicants about the options of commuting from home to school on a motorcycle.

How is it in terms of parking for motorcycles? too hard to find on city streets? what about parking garages, or parking on streets between 2 cars or on sidewalks..

would love to hear about your comments on this - I am so used to using my motorcycles in Los angeles traffic - weaving all around traffic and scaring off all cars :P
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 16:15
I am applying to Columbia as well and I have never been to NYC. I would love to hear from New Yorkers about their town.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 17:48
I think it depends on the motorcycle and where you are living. Most people I know that have motorcycles or vespas or someother two wheel transport have a place to put them. One actually has a brownstone in Brooklyn and actually brings it inside...I don't know how his wife feels abou that but I think he wheels it through the first floor and in the back he has shed for it. I would be leery of parking one on the street, since its something easily stolen or messed with. NY winters can be nasty at times so you will probably not have much use unless you aren't phased by cold and snow for 3-4 months.

Overall parking in the city itself sucks. If you end up at NYU don't even attempt it. NYU is not a campus its a bunch of buildings that are in the middle of the city. The only thing that indicates you are at NYU are the flags on the sides of the buildings. I am looking at NYU and if thats where I end up I would definitely aim towards living in Brooklyn. You will get a lot more for you money there and its an easy train ride. I know from where my brother's place is, Park Slope, its a straight shot into the NYU area with no switching of trains and its only a 10 minute ride.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 17:50
Oh and one more thing in NYC the potholes will swallow your bike hole.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 17:55
The only people crazier than NYC drivers are the cabdrivers.

I have a co worker who rides in from Brooklyn. Commuter/daily parking is not that bad, but overnight might be an issue.

Also NYC weather is not conducive to motorcycles. I would stick to the subways.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 18:46
A recent article in the Intnl Herald Tribune mentioned that NYC was imposing a daily car tax of $8 or so. All the more reason to use public transport. Or you could nimbly make your way around like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCULS2kI ... ed&search=
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 23:02
Ya, I read about it - mayor michael bloomberg, inspired by the london success story of decongestion wanted to impose that tax, but it has been opposed by a whole load of politicians, unions, and the lot - so that won't pass - AND I usually ride my motorcycle like the bicyclist in the movie - else LA car drivers wont let me remain alive - its the rule of the strongest and the fastest.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: New York Columbia/NYU - transporation car/motorcycle [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 12:34
aviroop wrote:
How is it in terms of parking for motorcycles? too hard to find on city streets? what about parking garages, or parking on streets between 2 cars or on sidewalks..

I would not recommend parking garages unless you have money to burn. Calling it expensive would be a understatement. The only garages that have relatively reasonable parking rates are all the way on the west side of Manhattan (e.g 10th, 11th, 12th ave). But this becomes a huge hassle to get over there and get your car.

Parking on the street is much easier for a motorcycle in NY because you have the option of parking between 2 cars, so you'll never really go crazy looking for a spot like cars do.

As far as parking on the sidewalk, I've often seen motorcycles do it, but I don't know how legal it is, its something to look into but you might be rolling the dice on that one.

Personally I'd recommend subway/ bicycle.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 12:56
Wow.. I thought that post had long been buried...

My brother is going to have a heartburn when he finds out he cant ride a motorcycle easily in NY. He was in love with the idea of popping wheelies along park avenue. Guess I have to put a damper in his spirits!!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 18:32
No post is buried when you have infrequent visitors.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 08:15
I've been doing some research for apartments in NY and I've come across a few aparment buildings that advertise that they have a 24 hour attached parking garage. What I cant figure out is if that garage is included within the price of the rent or not. Most of them are about $3000 for a 500 sq ft studio.
  [#permalink] 20 Aug 2007, 08:15