Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 21:53
Hi guys !!!!
I really need your help to come to a decision.
In april i had applied to two colleges for an MFIN
1 > LSE
2 > HEC Paris

I got rejected at HEC but got an offer LSE. I am in the process of completing my documentation with LSE. my question is this should ijust forget about any other school and go ahead with LSE or should i differ the offer for next year and send applications to other schools ??
I have literally not applied to any other school besides the two mentioned above, as the deadlines for 2014 had already passed for most schools by the time i gave my gmat.
my profile
Asian
Fresher
Undergraduate in Commerce
GMAT score 710 ( i owe this to online forums like GMAT Club)

What I'm looking out for ?
1 > Knowledge - This is my most important need ... i want to learn and learn from the best at that.
2 > Brand - as i haven't decided where i would like to work and settle a bigger brand will help me gain access to a wide variety of regions even though an mfin is generally a localized course...

Some of the places I'd really like to apply to : Oxford, MIT Sloan, Princeton

So what is your take on this ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 6

Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 02:08
This post received
KUDOS
darkwraith wrote:
Hi guys !!!!
1 > LSE
2 > HEC Paris

I got rejected at HEC but got an offer LSE. I am in the process of completing my documentation with LSE. my question is this should ijust forget about any other school and go ahead with LSE or should i differ the offer for next year and send applications to other schools ??
I have figuratively not applied to any other school besides the two mentioned above, as the deadlines for 2014 had already passed for most schools by the time i gave my gmat.
my profile
Asian
Fresher

1 > Knowledge - This is my most important need ... i want to learn and learn from the best at that.
2 > Brand - as i haven't decided where i would like to work and settle a bigger brand will help me gain access to a wide variety of regions even though an mfin is generally a localized course...

Very hard to answer the questions until we know:
1) What are your career goals?
2) Where do you plan to pursue your career? (Asia, Europe, US)
3) Which program is this LSE Mfin? Finance and Economics? Finance? or Risk and Finance?
4) All the schools have different programs, from the list you have mentioned. MIT is an MFin. Princeton is basically a fin math or engg degree and Oxford is financial economics degree.
So what do you wanna study?
Intern
Intern

Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 05:03
SamuraiJack wrote:
darkwraith wrote:
Hi guys !!!!
1 > LSE
2 > HEC Paris

I have figuratively not applied to any other school besides the two mentioned above, as the deadlines for 2014 had already passed for most schools by the time i gave my gmat.
my profile
Asian
Fresher

Very hard to answer the questions until we know:
1) What are your career goals?
2) Where do you plan to pursue your career? (Asia, Europe, US)
3) Which program is this LSE Mfin? Finance and Economics? Finance? or Risk and Finance?
4) All the schools have different programs, from the list you have mentioned. MIT is an MFin. Princeton is basically a fin math or engg degree and Oxford is financial economics degree.
So what do you wanna study?

Hi samuraijack !
thank you for a quick response
about my personal plans

1 > the way i see it, i wish to land a job in an organization that deals with invesments( IB, VC, MF) ... as i still don't have any experience about which role suits me best my plans here are flexible... but yes it has to be along the lines of an analyst or a fund manager(down the line :) )... i do however definitely plan to take up the CFA program as soon as i am done with the masters...... during which i will also spend time gaining practical experience.... now call me out if I'm wrong here, but i plan to do an MBA if required.. obviously not in finance but some other specialization that will be an asset to the intensive knowledge gained through the masters .... an analogy would be this; an engineer having technical skills and now pursuing an mba to start his/her own business. I also currently am certified to work as an Affiliated financial Planner and if time permits will try and get a Financial Risk Manager Certification to get a kick out of it ( i know i'm probably creeping u out now hehe)

2 > alright this may be a tad bit weird but here it goes.... i have atopic dermatitis ( sounds hot doesn't it ?? :wink: )... that means extreme heat and humidity ( one of my concerns with London) are out of the question.... my country has both in abundance year round (lucky me :roll: ) ... i am a moving allergy target during the summer and the monsoons... people put beauty packs at night before sleeping ... i plaster my face with a cortical steroid before sleeping... so yes pleasant weather is what i need... as i said this will be a weird reason and i really do expect to be laughed at for it hehe.

3 > This is the full-time Finance track not the others that you mentioned.

4 > true all schools do have different courses and each course has its own strengths ... but i think a broad way to split them would be theoretical, Hard quants, Generalist.... am i right in assuming this categorization ? if i go by this id like a program that really allows me to modify the direction so that after i get a taste of it and after i extensively discuss it with the professors, Councillors, etc and probably make them all go crazy ^_^ ( yes i do sound like a maniac, don't i ?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 08:45
Well from what I could understand you would like to get a CFA and work in asset management. IBD don't work with investments. They raise capital and do M&A, that's mostly it.

If you wanna end up in working with investments then great quant skills are required. For the equity analysis and portfolio management route you should be fine with an Msc degree. You don't need a advanced quant degree of the like of Princeton's program.

That being said LSE Msc Finance is one of the best Masters in Finance degrees out there. From what I could gather from your career goals you should be more than fine.

I don't know if I understood anything from your point No. 4. But if you want to be a quant there is no better name or degree than Princeton's. It is incredibly selective. If you are into Oxford MFE then you should look at the financial economics degree option offered by Columbia Business School. In my opinion a much better degree.

And about the MBA option. From an academic sense you wouldn't need it. But most people don't do an MBA for academics (unless you looking for a career change) they do it for the brand name, network and mostly the salary boost.

I would do the LSE degree if I were you. HEC is well known in Europe and not at all know anywhere else. I first heard of it when I saw FT rankings. LSE name is huge in finance. It is huge in Asia as you probably know. It is great in the US compared to any other non-US universities and obviously huge in Europe. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 03:20
SamuraiJack wrote:
Well from what I could understand you would like to get a CFA and work in asset management. IBD don't work with investments. They raise capital and do M&A, that's mostly it.

If you wanna end up in working with investments then great quant skills are required. For the equity analysis and portfolio management route you should be fine with an Msc degree. You don't need a advanced quant degree of the like of Princeton's program.

That being said LSE Msc Finance is one of the best Masters in Finance degrees out there. From what I could gather from your career goals you should be more than fine.

I don't know if I understood anything from your point No. 4. But if you want to be a quant there is no better name or degree than Princeton's. It is incredibly selective. If you are into Oxford MFE then you should look at the financial economics degree option offered by Columbia Business School. In my opinion a much better degree.

And about the MBA option. From an academic sense you wouldn't need it. But most people don't do an MBA for academics (unless you looking for a career change) they do it for the brand name, network and mostly the salary boost.

I would do the LSE degree if I were you. HEC is well known in Europe and not at all know anywhere else. I first heard of it when I saw FT rankings. LSE name is huge in finance. It is huge in Asia as you probably know. It is great in the US compared to any other non-US universities and obviously huge in Europe. Good luck.

hi Samurai !!!!
i apologize for the delay in my reply.... my cpu went on the fritz...
what i meant by point four was that i want a generalist sort of course an MFE is kinda specific and seems to close a few options.....
my most important question however is this should i wait, defer my admission to next year and try out other universities across the pond such as MIT ..... its quite a risky venture.... cus lets take the worst case scenario... i dnt get accepted in the colleges i want and LSE denies me a deference .... and ive lost both opportuities
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 06:25
darkwraith wrote:
SamuraiJack wrote:

hi Samurai !!!!
what i meant by point four was that i want a generalist sort of course an MFE is kinda specific and seems to close a few options.....
my most important question however is this should i wait, defer my admission to next year and try out other universities across the pond such as MIT ..... its quite a risky venture.... cus lets take the worst case scenario... i dnt get accepted in the colleges i want and LSE denies me a deference .... and ive lost both opportuities

That is about your risk tolerance but if you can defer your admission it could be worth it. But realize that you are gonna be pushing it back a year so find something to do worthwhile during the time.

On the MIT vs LSE point, if you want to work in America, then definitely MIT is the choice but other than that there isn't really a significant prestige difference to be worth the wait.
Intern
Intern

Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 00:03
SamuraiJack wrote:
darkwraith wrote:
SamuraiJack wrote:

hi Samurai !!!!

That is about your risk tolerance but if you can defer your admission it could be worth it. But realize that you are gonna be pushing it back a year so find something to do worthwhile during the time.

On the MIT vs LSE point, if you want to work in America, then definitely MIT is the choice but other than that there isn't really a significant prestige difference to be worth the wait.

well ... im goin ahead with the LSE procedures.... at the same time il apply to Sloan as well... leave the rest to fate :) :) :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ??? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 20:38
Hey! I'm aiming to apply to LSE for MFIN in 2015. Could you please share your detailed background (e.g, GPA, university name) so that I may assess if I stand a chance to get in.
Re: Offer from LSE for an MFIN ... what do i do ahead ???   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 20:38