Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Old GRE and Master's degree..chances at Cambridge, Northwest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Old GRE and Master's degree..chances at Cambridge, Northwest [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:02
Please evaluate my profile:

American/Pakistani Male

GRE: 800M 730V 4.5AWA (GMAT equivalent is 760 according to the ETS conversion tool)
Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering. Top public engineering university in Pakistan. GPA 3.5/4 (repeated a couple of courses)
Grad: Master of Engineering & Public policy (a 2 year program). Top 20 public university. GPA 3.95/4

WE:

2 years at top multinational food company as safety and environment manager (1 promotion from assistant manager to manager)
1 year internship at US department of Energy as a policy analyst
1 year (2 years at the time of enrollment) at a big technology consulting firm as senior consultant

Good recommendation letters

Extra-curriculars

Won national-level debating championships in Pakistan
Chair, Graduate Sustainability Committee at graduate school
Selected for a two weeks visit of Japan by the Japan foundation as an energy and environment fellow. Program included graduates from Columbia, Yale, Georgetown etc.

Goals after MBA:

To shift from technology consulting to management consulting.

Targets:

Cambridge
Oxford
Northwestern (1 year program)
Columbia

In addition, what do you think is the probability of obtaining a significant scholarship in the schools mentioned above?

Thanks a ton.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Old GRE and Master's degree..chances at Cambridge, Northwest [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey there arc,
Looks like you have some very good stuff in your profile. The right GRE score, good solid grades, and what seems to be good working experience. I write seems to be only because you didn't really elaborate all that much. But the fact that you worked for the Department of Energy and then moved to Consulting bodes well for you. I also feel that you should be able to build your career arc towards your goals in rational and plausible manner.

I feel that your school list is a fair one, although not so easy that you will have a likelihood of getting scholarships at those schools, although I feel like you should have a competitive shot at getting in. If a scholarship is important to you, you might add one or two schools that are a bit lower ranked to your list.

But overall I like what I see. The Japan thing is nice, although maybe a bit short, and I would love to see one or two other very unique aspects about you brought out in your application.

Good luck with it all, and if you have any follow-up questions, just post them here

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Old GRE and Master's degree..chances at Cambridge, Northwest [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 05:31
Hello Jon,

Thanks a bunch for your comprehensive response! Highly appreciated. Regarding the British schools, do you think it's possible to do an MBA from, say, Cambridge and get a job with prestigious management consulting firms in the US? I am actually more interested in a one-year MBA because two years and the associated costs are too much given that I already have another master's degree. Regards.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Old GRE and Master's degree..chances at Cambridge, Northwest [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 13:33
Expert's post
It's possible, but it doesn't make the most sense. I understand your dilemma, but so much of the benefit from Bschool comes from the network and employers that already hire from a particular school, and if you go to the UK to plan only to return to the US you may miss out on some of that. I mean, if you are already ready for the adventure, perhaps keep your mind open to working in the UK for a year or three???

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Old GRE and Master's degree..chances at Cambridge, Northwest [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 17:07
JonAdmissionado wrote:
It's possible, but it doesn't make the most sense. I understand your dilemma, but so much of the benefit from Bschool comes from the network and employers that already hire from a particular school, and if you go to the UK to plan only to return to the US you may miss out on some of that. I mean, if you are already ready for the adventure, perhaps keep your mind open to working in the UK for a year or three???

Thanks for the quick response. That's actually a good idea. I'll definitely do more research into the job opportunities in the UK. Meanwhile, I also found about this cool 1-year program at Cornell for students who already have another master's degree.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Old GRE and Master's degree..chances at Cambridge, Northwest [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 03:59
Expert's post
Great. As long as you are open to staying int he UK, then it's a great option. You can of course simultaneously look for jobs in the US, but being open-minded will really open up your options. The Cornell program is also a great idea.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com