Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Over 700 in just over 2 weeks? [#permalink]
This is interesting... I took my GMAT this morning, and I got a 680 as well.. Q49 and V34 7 IR and crushed the AWA. we are fairly opposite... I would say that if you truly understand why you're having trouble with quant, then it's very possible.

I've rescheduled as well, I'm quite disappointed in my V34, as I've been studying for about 13 weeks, but I think I understand what my problems were, and it wasn't timing. It was likely knowledge and confidence.

Also, this is what helps me... when i re-take in a few weeks, if I do not improve my score, I'll cancel the score. It doesn't hurt to retake it with additional studying (besides the time and funds.).

Hope this helps,[/quote]

Haha, small world, huh?

That's what I figure. If the retake doesn't go well, at least I have a decent score to work with. Good luck to you on your retake.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
sildawg wrote:
So after 10 weeks, I was unpleasantly surprised to see a 680 with Q42.

Is it possible for me to raise my score 20 points in 2 weeks? I'm planning on only focusing on quant.

Your verbal score is very, very good.

For your target score: to get a 700 (+20 from a 680) with a 41 in verbal, you need a 44 in quant. A 42 in quant is 50%, and a 44 is 57%. I'd say that you can go from 50 to 57% in two weeks. Just focus on the basic concepts. At Q42 the GMAT is not giving you difficult questions.

All the best for the GMAT. I hope you end up with a 710 or a 720 though. An increase of only 20 points isn't going to make a huge difference (other than the whole yay! 700! thing :)).

Thanks!

That's the thing. I knew I wasn't getting difficult questions. I guess it was the timing and feeling rushed, otherwise I don't know what happened.

Yea the 700 score is a pretty psychological thing for me and it just feels like something I need to clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sildawg,

First off, a 680 is fantastic GMAT score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +-30 points of actual ability, so your 680 could have easily been a 710. This is all meant to say that the difference in performances is marginal (and Business Schools know that). That all having been said, the answer to your immediate question is YES - you could score 700+ in less than two weeks.

The next set of important questions have to do with how you took your last few CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Since you're interested in Finance programs, a higher Quant Scaled Score would definitely be helpful. A Q42 is not going to impress anyone - so if you do plan to retest, then focusing your practice on that area of the Exam would be a good idea.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sildawg,

First off, a 680 is fantastic GMAT score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +-30 points of actual ability, so your 680 could have easily been a 710. This is all meant to say that the difference in performances is marginal (and Business Schools know that). That all having been said, the answer to your immediate question is YES - you could score 700+ in less than two weeks.

The next set of important questions have to do with how you took your last few CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Since you're interested in Finance programs, a higher Quant Scaled Score would definitely be helpful. A Q42 is not going to impress anyone - so if you do plan to retest, then focusing your practice on that area of the Exam would be a good idea.

Rich

1. I usually skipped the essay, but on test day I didn't notice any difference in performance especially with the 8 minute break between IR and quant.
2. Yes, I took all of my practice tests at home.
3. I took my last practice test at the same time and the other ones around 3 hours later than my actual test time.
4. I had to occasionally pause my tests due to distractions at home.
5. No, I didn't take a CAT more than once.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sildawg,

At your current scoring level, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes - if you make too many of them, then a 700+ score becomes impossible. Keep in mind that the accuracy of CAT results depends heavily on how YOU choose to take the CATs. The more realistic and 'test-like' you make those experiences, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. If you deviate from the standard Test Day 'event' (skipping sections, pausing the CAT, taking it at home, taking it at a different time of day from your Official Test time, etc.), your scores can deviate too.

This is all meant to say that - to hit your score goals - over the next few weeks, you really must put a premium on making your CATs 'match up' with what you'll experience on Test Day in as many ways as possible.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot