Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford MBA or a US MBA??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth (int-ding), Ross (admit), Said (admit), Fuqua (int-WL), McCombs (int-ding)
WE 1: 2.5 Years with Tata Motors Limited (Automobile Manufacturing)
WE 2: 1.5 Years with Lanco Infratech Limited (Power Generation)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 19

Oxford MBA or a US MBA?? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:53
Hi friends,

Ive just got admitted in Oxford's Said Business School for their 1yr MBA program starting Fall 2011.

The problem I have is that I have also applied to a few US B-Schools (Ross, McCombs and Fuqua) and all of them have their final decision dates sometime in the 2nd half of Jan-2011 (McCombs is a rolling admission, but I expect it to come by then).

Now, Oxford's deposit deadline is Jan14-2011. This means that I have to make a non-refundable deposit of GBP 5,500 (USD 8,500) before the results can even come out for the US B-Schools!! Here is the dilemma.

Is Oxford really better than these schools, so should I make the deposit? I know I'm taking a big risk by not paying, but if the US schools are vastly better then Oxford, then I am willing to take a risk.

Please help.....Your comments would be most useful in making this confusing decision.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford MBA or a US MBA?? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 13:07
Hi,

At the outset congratulations for getting through what I believe is certainly one of the best MBA programs in Europe.

Regarding your concern on what-if I think the issue is not with SBS v/s Whatchamacallit alone but with US v/s UK, and 2 years v/s 1 year.

Pros:

1. Cost of education (including lost opportunity cost) is lower in Said than anyother US Bschool.

2. Brand of Oxford trumps almost everyother University name in the world (except Harvard maybe :))

3. Work VISA in the UK is a lot more easier than the H1 route in the US - especially over the last few years.

Cons:

1. US Economy/available jobs >>> UK economy/available jobs

2. Perceived/known quality of education in say a Ross or a Fuqua is more than that of Said. Maybe it is because the US schools are better are branding it but it is atleast "perceptibly" better.

3. 1 year maybe a rush if you are looking at switching careers. 2 years allows you the luxury to do an internship, and in many ways the only shot at career change.

So I don't think its school X versus school Y but something that is more basic.

Hope this analysis helps,

Arun

http://www.crackverbal.com
http://www.facebook.com/CrackVerbal
https://twitter.com/AskCrackVerbal

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford MBA or a US MBA?? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 14:38
If you are looking to work in the US, stick with US schools. Additionally, Ross and Duke have better reputation than Said simply because they are perceived as more selective and are more established as MBA brands. Take UT over all others only if you want to work in energy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth (int-ding), Ross (admit), Said (admit), Fuqua (int-WL), McCombs (int-ding)

Re: Oxford MBA or a US MBA?? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 23:46
Thanks guys...specially arun...

looking at the pros and cons, even im heavily inclined towards the US (2 yr) program, mainly coz i want to switch careers since I have a very technical background and now want to head towards management consulting. So the internship would really help me in testing my abilities and proving them.

Also, job opportunity wise, US is very good and I always wanted to work in the US, so I think that point is important as well....

Aaaargh..!! If only the deposit deadline was a month more, I would have heard from all the US schools about their decisions and would be able to make a better decision...!! I just hope that if I forfeit Said, I get into a US school.... Fingers crossed..
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Oxford MBA or a US MBA?? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 19:10
EDIT:

After some research - I've found the answer to my own question

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Oxford MBA or a US MBA?? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 20:03
MackyCee wrote:
EDIT:

After some research - I've found the answer to my own question

what was yr ques?? and the ans??
Re: Oxford MBA or a US MBA??   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2010, 20:03