Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Stratus Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2008
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Pleae help me assess my Analysis of an Issue. [#permalink]
Thanks a bunch, man. Glad someon finally threw some help my way. I'll get to work practicing that.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
I second everything Jim said. You also need to make your essay quite a bit longer. Although it doesn't have to literally be 5 paragraphs (as long as it follows that format), if it has 4 paragraphs, your body paragraphs should be quite substantial. Your conclusion paragraph doesn't have to be extensive (I have scored a 6 with a one-sentence conclusion), you absolutely *must* have one! Otherwise, it looks like you were unable to finish.

Your initial paragraph starts out well, but it should only serve to introduce your ideas. Save any substantial description of your examples for the body paragraphs. Also, watch your sentence structure--some of those sentences were a little too long and involved. (For instance: Though people have studied Buffett and Buffett has been more than generous with his knowledge, financial managers, professors and businessmen the world over continue to preach and practice finance and business in a way that directly contradicts Buffetts beliefs.) Remember that one of your graders will be a computer, and the other will be a human who is spending all day plowing quickly through essays like yours. Make your essay easy to follow, with a very obvious structure.

By the way, although you will *not* be judged on the factual accuracy of your examples, I'm not sure the bit about Carnegie is true. He had a number of active partners, and he was not directly responsible for the management or day-to-day operations of his companies (he spent much of his time in New York and Europe, far from his Pittsburgh facilities). However, it's true that he did tend to take charge of whatever he got involved with, so he is a good choice to support the larger point you're trying to make.

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Bot