Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:59 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: How much weight does the CFA charter carry [#permalink]
GMATCFAAspirant wrote:
I have passed a CFA level 1 in June 2011, and am in dilemma to take CFA level-2 or give GMAT this year

Which helps better in MBA admissions?? - to do GMAT with CFA level 1 or to pass CFA level 2 and then give GMAT???

Ppl kindly provide your inputs on this.

Adequately preparing and receiving a high GMAT score should do way more for your MBA admissions process than going from CFA 1 to 2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your inputs. Also would like to know about the following:
1. Have heard of Scholarships available for MBA abroad. I was interested in knowing any cutoff marks/ criteria /rules there are for getting those scholarships. Could someone provide me this info if they know?
2. Also wanted to the Loans we could avail for doing MBA. If someone could give me the average payback period for a MBA student getting in top-30 schools, it would be really helpful.

Thanks in Advance for your inputs/thoughts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
GMATCFAAspirant wrote:
I have passed a CFA level 1 in June 2011, and am in dilemma to take CFA level-2 or give GMAT this year

Which helps better in MBA admissions?? - to do GMAT with CFA level 1 or to pass CFA level 2 and then give GMAT???

Ppl kindly provide your inputs on this.

You could do both. Obviously you need to at least take the GMAT, but its definitely possible to take the GMAT and a CFA test in the same year. I took the GMAT twice and CFA LIII successfully in the same year, and managed to get my R1 apps out with an admit. Its doable, you just gotta bust your butt hard.

These binary decisions of CFA LII vs. higher GMAT are silly. Figure out what your limitations are and if you can do both without failing, then go for it. Obviously if you can only do one successfully, the GMAT is clearly more important to getting into business school.

As a side note to anyone reading this considering the CFA program, I'm doing banking recruiting and have found an unexpectedly high number of people in the field have their CFA -- probably like 20-30% of the people I spoke with, which is higher than my expectation of <5%. Those that don't have it are generally aware of the designation and have respect for its rigorousness. I haven't had problems convincing people that I'll be able to handle the technical nature of the job thanks in large part to my CFA progress.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi everyone,

Hope these thoughts are of help. Although admissions teams understand how difficult a CFA can be to attain, it is important to understand that business schools are aiming to cultivate future leaders. For this reason, a CFA certification will be weighed with less emphasis than your work experience, etc. A CFA will be of help if you are addressing a low quant score, however you should not expect the impact to be significant.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
This one of the best discussions i have come across on gmat club..Thanks to every 1 for such useful info...
I am preparing for my gmat and plan to do CFA level 1 by december and then would apply in a b-school.My question is that by clearing just the CFA level 1 is going to help in the recruitment process post MBA. ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
sudden wrote:
terp06 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I believe it's given much less weight than it deserves. Ryguy knows a lot more about this though, I'm sure he'll post something on this thread in a bit.

Agreed. I don't believe that many Adcom members realize the dedication and amount of work it takes to get a CFA. They almost seem to equate it to be similar to getting a CPA.

That's exactly right. With all do respect to folks pursuing the CPA, it's not even comparable. The CFA exams are more difficult by a mile. In fact, they are significantly more difficult than:

1) Any test you will ever take as an undergrad
2) GMAT
3) Anything you are likely to do in business school
4) I've heard several lawyers say it's harder than the bar

I don't want to exaggerate here, because the exams are definitely passable, but it is a huge commitment to get through the three levels. Imagine studying for 300-400 (if not more) hours, walking into a six hour beast of a test, and then, statistically speaking, probably failing. CFA Institute just released the level one pass results -- 35% made the cut. Most of the people taking the exam have BBAs and MBAs already, so that gives you a sense of the difficulty.

Please don't exaggerate. I did all three levels only because it was required by my employer. The exams were quite easy for someone with a bachelor's in math/physics/computer science.

Honestly, I consider the whole CFA thing a waste of time.

Quote:
(no to mention that it doesn't teach you leadership, team work or how to suck up to your boss prior to asking for a good recommendation).

On this I agree.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
cougarblue wrote:
I apologize if my post came across as abrasive or degrading, sudden. I'm just calling it like I see it, after hearing these arguments for the 1000th time. (btw, I'm equally as qualified as you are to talk to the difficulty of the exams.)

Obviously your feedback is a good data point(s). But I've also heard other Charterholders' feedback from M7 schools which was essentially what I represented in my post, so I take that data and combine it with yours. I understand that you will want to overweight your own experience, but I'm just trying to draw a generalization here.

Just so we're clear, I never said the Charter wasn't respected in industry. Indeed, I recognized that it shows both a level of commitment to the IM industry and a propensity for setting and achieving a desired goal. When I talk about "glorifying" it, I'm talking about all those statements you hear like, "probably at least 1,000 hours of study." Now, I know they recently revised the 250 hours to 350 hours, but can you say with a straight face that you actually studied 350 hours or more for each exam?

There are many professional exams, both more and less difficult than the CFA exams, yet we never hear about how difficult they are or how they are better than an MBA. My main point is to provide a tempered viewpoint, as an insider, on the matter and that maybe, just maybe, CFA Candidates and Charterholders, myself included, are a little guilty of self-aggrandizement.

I remember that I spent about 8 hours a week and passed all three levels on the first try. In total it took me 2 years.

I worked at the largest asset management firm in the Netherlands. Few of my colleagues took CFA seriously. Many of them had a PhD and some were part-time professors. A recommendor of mine said "Probably only people outside asset management would have much respect for CFA." I tend to agree.

CFA shows how good you are at memorizing things and not how intellectually curious or creative you are. The latter is much more important to be a good analyst/researcher.

After passing three levels' exams, I did not even bother to send the CFA Institution the formal application for the title.

BTW, I was dinged by HBS and CBS. Obviously CFA did not help much.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
wow that's crazy. i'm spending easily 10-15 hours a week on the CFA right now. doesn't look too promising but I think I will continue with it.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3