Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Just perusing the forums and thought I'd add a humble opinion as a current applicant. Going through this application round, a key success factor I've learned is that an applicant needs to demonstrate 1) a clear sense of goals and 2) why a particular school fits. Adcom people don't typically come from industry - they don't really care what your actual work responsibilities are (unlike if you were interviewing for a job). They DO care, however, if can talk confidently about the trajectory of your career - where you've been, how (in very qualitative term) you got to where you are now, and where you want to go. It seems like you have a great career path so far, but you are VERY unclear about your future aspirations. How are you going to write a 2 page essay on future goals if your 3 sentences here are so vague?

Secondly, each school prides itself on its uniqueness (whether it's really THAT different is another story) and you usually need to spend another 2 pages convincing why you're a good fit with them. That said, it's kinda useless to ask people where you should apply, especially since your goals are so unclear. Do you want a school that feeds consulting firms, banks, tech companies? I mean, that list is going to be different depending on your goals.

The reason why I say all this is because it WORKED for me. I have a very humble profile - 710 GMAT, WE at niche, no-name consulting firms. Trust me, I lack the "sparkle" that most admission consultants say a Top 10 MBA program looks for. However, because of careful application execution and realizing how adcoms work, I interviewed at a top 5 program (R1 decisions not yet released), I got into a top 10 program, and I got significant scholarships (66% and a 100%) to two top 25 programs.

Take what you will from it, but hope this helps to refocus your thought process.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey,

For what its worth, yes it helps.

The purpose of posting my profile was to get a sense whether it had the strength to compete when applying to a top tier b-school.

As far as short and long term career objectives go, it's not so much that I am "unclear" about them as it's simply that I haven't stated them. Yes, it still might be a bit fuzzy than it should be, but it certainly isn't a total blank.

I do understand where I come from; have made certain difficult choices to get here; and want to make sure I equip myself with the capabilities to tread the path that I have set before myself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
sumatmittal wrote:
Hey,

For what its worth, yes it helps.

The purpose of posting my profile was to get a sense whether it had the strength to compete when applying to a top tier b-school.

As far as short and long term career objectives go, it's not so much that I am "unclear" about them as it's simply that I haven't stated them. Yes, it still might be a bit fuzzy than it should be, but it certainly isn't a total blank.

I do understand where I come from; have made certain difficult choices to get here; and want to make sure I equip myself with the capabilities to tread the path that I have set before myself.

No need to get defensive. I just don't understand why you'd ask for people to recommend schools when you don't provide that information.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Not getting defensive here. Just failing to understand the harm in trying to understand whether my profile is good enough for me to apply to a tier 1 b-school.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I definitely think you have the right stuff for a run at the top ten. I agree with the other comments that you must hone your vision, but the raw material seems to be there. Having said that, there are a lot of applicants with good profiles who end up falling through the cracks. Strategically framing your background with what you want to do going forward is important. You might want to consider a post MBA trajectory in marketing considering your background. I am not advocating you lie to the committee, it's just that you seem to have a great preparation for a marketing career and this could resonate well with the committee. By the way, I love the way you are already thinking about how you are different than the "average" Indian applicant. It's this kind of approach that will help you navigate the competitive waters of top tier b-school applications.
GMAT Club Bot