Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:22 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: chances [#permalink]
Unless you've done something remarkable with your life (cured a disease) or have a relative that donated a building to the school, you don't have a chance.

Not trying to be a jerk, just helping out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In none of the top 15 ???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
gomzit wrote:

No no, I was referring to Harvard (or Stanford for that matter).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mbarealestate wrote:
gomzit wrote:

No no, I was referring to Harvard (or Stanford for that matter).

Take it for what it's worth but this poster is right. H/S/W is pretty much out of the picture for you. You only mention GMAT and GPA, so I will assume the rest of your application (work exp, recommendations etc) fall under the same category of your GPA and GMAT. Pretty good, not very good, and not great. Booth, Sloan, Kellog, Columbia are very long shots as well, I'd say you'd have a 10% chance at getting into each of these schools. That said, if you apply to all of them, you may just land an interview and do your best from there. Haas, Tuck, Stern, Yale are reaches-you'd have a 20% chance or so. Your sweet spot is more around the top 15 range-Cornell, Duke, Darden, Tepper, Ross. You'd have a decent shot at those schools. Obviously this isn't a hard and fast 'ranking' of schools as rankings are subjective, but that should give you an idea.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I would say that to improve your chances at a top 15 school try to bump your GMAT up a bit (to say 730), which will make up for your GPA a bit (which is acceptable but a bit on the low end of top 15 type schools). However, my biggest cause for concern is that you only state GMAT and GPA stats (an vague work experience) and expect people to give an answer. While good GMAT and GPA are required to be considered B schools look well beyond that. Work experience is important but schools want to show how you've interacted in teams and led projects. Moreover, your essays must convey a cohesive argument as to why you want an MBA and why you will be an asset to that particular school.

As far as quantifying your chances, the best thing to do is to look at the ranges at each particular school you apply. By all means apply to Harvard but realize it is a VERY hard school to crack (unless a miracle happens Tuesday, I didn't get an interview invite there).

My best advice is to reach for a couple schools, but also apply to schools were you have a pretty solid shot, and even include a safety school if your intent is to matriculate this year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok so with my current gmat score and gpa what are the schools tht i should be looking at if the gmat score is the issue i dont mind giving the gmat again and applying next year also my gpa might not be accurate its a very conservative estimate .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
This isn't law school guys. You can't give someone their odds based on just stats alone. Your undergrad, age, work experience, demographics, and ECs matter a ton. Havard takes 900+ people ever year. Probably some of them have the same stats as you. Does that mean you'll for sure get in? No. We'd need a more complete picture of your candidacy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Moss wrote:
This isn't law school guys. You can't give someone their odds based on just stats alone. Your undergrad, age, work experience, demographics, and ECs matter a ton. Havard takes 900+ people ever year. Probably some of them have the same stats as you. Does that mean you'll for sure get in? No. We'd need a more complete picture of your candidacy.

100% agreed... but i will add my two sense. You sound like me 2 years ago when I got a higher gmat than anticipated and suddenly realized I had similar stats to the averages of top programs. Take time to learn all you can about the process and understand why you want an MBA (develop goals especially). Don't do what i did last year and rush to apply to top 5 schools, some of which are the most competitive in the world, and apply against the best competition with a rushed application.

That being said. I would work for another year to get some more meaningful work experience... your stats look familiar :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Like has been said, the top programs don't focus on stats alone. They use the whole picture to make their admissions decisions.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NABE
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.1
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Well I would say why not work for another 2 years and try to add some significant experience during that time to your profile?

I got a 700 on the GMAT and have a 3.1 GPA from a State school. But I have 6yrs of work experience in 3 different countries plus have managed customers across 7 countries (all in Asia, although I am not Asian) and I can speak four languages. I am applying for R3 at HBS. Do I have a shot? Maybe, maybe not. You can only find out if you apply.

Someone I know got a 740 on their GMAT, had a GPA close to 4, had a bachelors in material's science, a master's in biochemistry with a scholarship from MIT-NUS, and solid working experience for a medical consultancy as well as a for an ibank, and (my thoughts) they didn't get into a top 20 int'l MBA because the essays didn't manage to convey any of this!

Food for thought.
GMAT Club Bot