Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Essay too long? [#permalink]
They aren't grossly above the word limits, but the word limits are word limits for a reason.

for the essay that's 251/250 words, I'm sure you can knock it under 250 words somehow.

For the 800/750 and 539/500 word essays, I'm also pretty sure that you can cut the words some to get them very close to the limit, if not going under those limits. In all likelihood, you can remove these words and not remove anything that is critical to getting your essay's point across.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2014
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
I was more sensitive to the "no more than x00 words". I think if it explicitly states that, you should keep it under. Otherwise, I think that the 10% rule is okay, but chances are, further revision and editing will allow you to cut out some fat anyway. I made so many passes through my essays that I was pretty surprised at how much I was able to cut by thinking and writing more efficiently.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
krzt wrote:
...but chances are, further revision and editing will allow you to cut out some fat anyway. I made so many passes through my essays that I was pretty surprised at how much I was able to cut by thinking and writing more efficiently.

Agree with this 100%.

Do a word check up and find these words:

Also
And
Because

Chances are that you can remove these words in the vast majority of circumstances if you have many of these in your essays. I had about 15 of these words after a couple initial edits, and was able to remove these words without taking away the critical points and flow of the essays.

Wow, I could remove two of the "and"'s in my post and still get my point across (that last and was pretty close to necessary there). Sentences will sound simpler for sure. But your point still comes across. You get to your point more directly. That is what these guys want to read. Your point. Nothing more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Economics
GMAT 1: 570 Q35 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
If I were an admissions person I'd be annoyed that it went over the limit. What's the point of putting a maximum if people don't follow the rules? It also shows a lack of respect for the person's time. It also puts people who followed the rules at a disadvantage.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Here's the thing, adcoms aren't going through the document counting every word. They can eye an essay and see if it sticks to the word limits. A typical double spaced 500 word essay is 2 pages. If your essay goes to 3 pages that's when it becomes an issue. But if you're at 2 pages and 515 words, it's really not a big deal. They aren't noticing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Word count hardly matters unless you are just way off base. Most of my essays were over 10% over limit, and often much higher (e.g. 197 for 150 words). Didn't stop me from getting interviews. Getting in? Will find out soon enough.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
like others have mentioned, 10% over is a safe rule of thumb
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
I would say that you should stay within 5%, and stay under if possible. If the adcom notices that you went over, they will definitely look negatively on it. Think about it... what better way is there to show that you can't follow directions? That you think you are better than the rules? And that you can't write concisely.

Going over 5%, you run the risk of the Adcom noticing. They read 100s if not 1000s of essays, and can EASILY tell if the essay is over. They have seen every usage of margins, font size, etc.... and probably could guess an essay within 5% of length just by looking at it.

Why risk it? More is not always better. Some of the best writing is concise and to the point. They know that it is hard to stay within the word limits, but they expect it b/c it's part of the rules. If you can't follow directions or rules, why would you be a good business student?

If you go 5-10% over it probably won't be bad... but anything over 10% over could really be looked upon negatively, b/c it will be a blatent disregard of rules.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Agree with the posters above who recommend sticking to the limit. Although officers are indeed looking at page length more so than word count, my essays became more concise after revising them to meet the limit. It's not something that going to get you dinged by any means, but it could help you write better essays! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
But when you put it in a different light: if an applicant is paying $200 for someone to read their application than the adcom sure as hell can spend the extra 20 seconds of their life reading the extra 40 words. The level of irrelevant minutia that some people worry about amazes me and I really, honestly, worry about the kinds of people that work in the business environment. Does this begin the process of training for a sycophant? I do believe it does. And I 'm not referring to any one specific individual on this board, just a general observation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
pacostacos wrote:
But when you put it in a different light: if an applicant is paying $200 for someone to read their application than the adcom sure as hell can spend the extra 20 seconds of their life reading the extra 40 words. The level of irrelevant minutia that some people worry about amazes me and I really, honestly, worry about the kinds of people that work in the business environment. Does this begin the process of training for a sycophant? I do believe it does. And I 'm not referring to any one specific individual on this board, just a general observation.

I agree with you Mr. Derp
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pacostacos wrote:

I get that we can only suck up so much and yes, those application fees are no joke, where some schools don't give any fee waivers under any circumstances. However, the admissions process is ultimately in the hands of the adcom and the guys and gals in it are the ones who call the shots.

I personally wish the adcoms would not have these limits as well, but I at least will play it safe.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
'Within 5%-10% excess words should be the thumb rule', this is what I always advise the applicants I work with.There is a reason why Schools have imposed word -limits. They not only want to see your ability to convey your ideas precisely, they also want to evaluate you on your ability to follow directions. Editing is fun. Have fun with your essays by revising/ editing them 3-4 times , and you will be amazed to see how you are able to cut all the excess fat without compromising on your ideas.
If you have any more questions on pruning your essays, email me at poonam@myessayreview.com.
Good luck,
Poonam
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I think you’re focusing on the wrong issue. If you’re 800/700, but the content is excellent, that is more important. I was worried about my length too. But I’m not an academic so I got a professional service to edit my work. The shorter world length just means that how articulate you need to be when telling your story. I used these guys UniEdit and 2 rounds of editing. They took what I said in 3 sentences and showed me I can do it in 1. https://www.uni-edit.net/content/view/3/ ... nglish_us/
GMAT Club Bot