Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: admission inquiry [#permalink]
Kudos
scorpionz wrote:
2.do all schools have fall and spring semesters?
As far as I know, none of the top schools have spring starts. Schools typically begin only in Fall of each year. An exception to this rule at the top of my head is Columbia which has something called as a J-term since they start a batch in January.

6.how helpful is having a green-card ,as we are expecting to get it in a few months( 6-8 months)?
Not helpful from an admissions perspective. Might be helpful post-admission if you're looking to take up a loan..Am not entirely sure about this loan part though.

I agree with all of scorpionz responses. I just wanted to add two things. For (2), Columbia has a January start date, but is the only school I know of that does... and I don't think it's as easy to be accepted into as the regular cycle. For (6), although it won't directly affect your ability to be admitted, it will make you easier to place in a US job after graduation which is something most schools are concerned with.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
rrnambiar02 wrote:
1.which is the earliest semester i can apply for?

You can apply anytime you want, but you may be in a good position to apply for Fall 2013 when you have 3 years of work exp.

rrnambiar02 wrote:
2.do all schools have fall and spring semesters?

Yes for a FT program, for a flex part time MBA, you get to create your own schedule.

rrnambiar02 wrote:
3. will i be considered as an international student or out of state student?

My assumption is international, but if you have US residency you may be able to be classified as in state for Florida if you go to a public university in Florida.

rrnambiar02 wrote:
4.which are the universities i can apply with my score?

Again, in theory, you can apply anywhere you want, but you didn't really say which type of program you wanted, or what you wanted to do after school.

rrnambiar02 wrote:
5.should i consider retaking the gmat to better my score?(as 650 is the lowest i've got in my mock tests.range-640-740 in some 25 tests)

Since I would go for Fall 2013 if I were you, I'd take the test one more time and hope for a better score. Most Top 25 full time programs have median GMAT's near or above 700.

rrnambiar02 wrote:
6.how helpful is having a green-card ,as we are expecting to get it in a few months( 6-8 months)?

I don't think it's going to help or hurt your chances that much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for replying :)
another question:
because i dont have a work permit here, i am planning to volunteer for some organization..will working in such organizations as a volunteer be accounted in my work ex.
please provide me with some inputs.
best wishes,rachana.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
rrnambiar02 wrote:
thanks for replying :)
another question:
because i dont have a work permit here, i am planning to volunteer for some organization..will working in such organizations as a volunteer be accounted in my work ex.
please provide me with some inputs.
best wishes,rachana.

No, volunteer work is not work experience. You can list it in another area though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Rachana,

It's going to be a tough sell..As the poster above mentioned, generally volunteer work is not considered as full time work ex. HOWEVER, in your case, since you are not going to work in any other job full time, you MIGHT be able to pass it off as full time work experience.

It all depends on how you project it to the ad com. If the volunteer work you are planning to do has a direct bearing on your post MBA goals, you can definitely make a case out of it. One of the key requisites for this of course will have to be that you are spending a significant amount of time on a daily basis in this work and not just a few hours a week..You will have to demonstrate that you are seriously pursuing it as a career option and not just to spend your time constructively while you wait for other things to fall in place..
GMAT Club Bot