Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1489 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: test score interpretation [#permalink]
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Thank you Karishma,
i have my GMAT schedulrd for 21st March and am running short of practice tests. that's the reason I am taking intervals of 15 days. Will definitelly take the GMAT prep test next to gauge my score

I plan on taking a practice test to see where I stand.
Which test prep is better?
MGMAT or a GMAT test prep?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
lpanalystii wrote:

I plan on taking a practice test to see where I stand.
Which test prep is better?
MGMAT or a GMAT test prep?

GMAT prep tests are provided by GMAC (it conducts the actual GMAT) free of cost to everyone taking the GMAT. It is assumed that the algorithm GMAT prep tests use is very similar to the one used in actual GMAT. Hence, they tend to give you a fair idea of your current standing.

All test prep companies use their own algorithms which they develop according of their understanding of the actual GMAT algorithm. The actual GMAT algorithm is not known to anyone outside GMAC.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Karishma, I have my test on 22nd, any suggestions how I can spend the last days before exam?

- MGMAT I - 620 (Q42,V33) -[did not write the essays also dint take a break between the sections
- MGMAT II - 720 (Q44,V45) - [ did not write the essay but took timed breaks]
- MGMAT III - 700 (Q46,V40) - [ wrote the essay and took timed breaks][/quote]
- GMAT Prep 1 - 760 Q48,V40
- MGMAT IV - 690 Q49,V37

I still have GMAT Prep II left also for some reason there are variations in my scores on MGMAT .esp verbal. I am practicing SC and CR everyday. and I do not face a lot of challenges with RC. Can I retry GMAT prep 1 again ?
Please do suggest

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Hi, need help to interpret my scores on the MGMAT exams. My scores are as follows tests (there is a gap of 15 days between each test)
- MGMAT I - 620 (Q42,V33) -[did not write the essays also dint take a break between the sections
- MGMAT III - 700 (Q46,V40) - [ wrote the essay and took timed breaks]

If I am not wrong, you put up a post some days back regarding your first two test scores where you were concerned about the difference in your scores of 620 and 720. It does look like you are better at Verbal than what your first score suggested. This time you wrote the essays too so it would easily explain a drop in the Verbal score. Even though the essays are not particularly grilling, they take a lot of your time which makes you tired by the time you reach the Verbal section. After 3 hrs of continuous effort, you are bound to lose some concentration if you haven't trained yourself for it. Mind you, I am talking only in terms of relative performance on MGMAT tests. All I would suggest you to take away from these scores is the following:
1. You seem to be improving in Quant which should give you confidence. Anyway, your basics seem to be in place so work on those advanced applications.
2. Your Verbal is strong and should get better with time (provided you keep practicing!).

A practice test has two main purposes:
1. It helps you train your mind to perform under stress (read timed conditions) for 4 hrs at a stretch.
2. It tells you your weak areas so that you can improve upon them.

I hope you will keep this in mind.

Also, if you would like to get a better idea of where you stand (as far as the score you will get in actual GMAT is concerned) right now, take a GMAT prep test. In my experience, in actual GMAT, most people score within a range of 40-50 points of their score in GMAT prep tests.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Karishma, I have my test on 22nd, any suggestions how I can spend the last days before exam?

- MGMAT IV - 690 Q49,V37

I still have GMAT Prep II left also for some reason there are variations in my scores on MGMAT .esp verbal. I am practicing SC and CR everyday. and I do not face a lot of challenges with RC. Can I retry GMAT prep 1 again ?
Please do suggest
[/quote]

22nd of March? If yes, then what are you keeping the GMAT prep test 2 for? Take it right away if you haven't taken it and analyze it very properly. Re-do every Quant question where you had a doubt and every Verbal question. It will take 2 days and then you will have just 2 days left. In the last two days, just relax. Try to keep a cool head, get involved in whatever works for you - some sport, yoga, long walks - anything that relaxes your nerves. A cool head will add much more to your score as compared to 2 days of cramming. A couple of hrs before the test, take a quick look at all the formulas you want to remember in Quant. Then just go and take your test - remember, one or two questions will not change the game so don't get stuck and waste precious time, keep moving.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Karishma,took the gmat prep II got 770 (Q50 V44).. was a little worried about the variation in the score of MGMAT. :( :shock:

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
devinawilliam83 wrote:

- MGMAT IV - 690 Q49,V37
- GMAT Prep II - 770 Q50,V44

Please do suggest

22nd of March? If yes, then what are you keeping the GMAT prep test 2 for? Take it right away if you haven't taken it and analyze it very properly. Re-do every Quant question where you had a doubt and every Verbal question. It will take 2 days and then you will have just 2 days left. In the last two days, just relax. Try to keep a cool head, get involved in whatever works for you - some sport, yoga, long walks - anything that relaxes your nerves. A cool head will add much more to your score as compared to 2 days of cramming. A couple of hrs before the test, take a quick look at all the formulas you want to remember in Quant. Then just go and take your test - remember, one or two questions will not change the game so don't get stuck and waste precious time, keep moving.[/quote]
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Thanks Karishma,took the gmat prep II got 770 (Q50 V44).. was a little worried about the variation in the score of MGMAT. :( :shock:

You must have heard numerous times that GMAT prep test is the best indicator of your actual GMAT score. Generally, your GMAT score varies within +-50 points of your GMAT prep test score. I would suggest you to focus only on your GMAT prep test scores. All test prep providers use their own algorithms which may be quite different from the GMAT/GMAT prep test algorithm. We do not know how robust they are and how well they can estimate your ability every time. Hypothetically, if you take GMAT on 7 consecutive days, chances are you will get 7 scores within a range of 20-30 points of each other. If you do the same for tests of any other provider, you will get scores within a range of upto a 100 points, I think.

Tests from prep providers are useful in establishing timing strategies, identifying weaknesses and learning how to handle pressure. Do not take the score you get very seriously. Some people score much more in GMAT prep test than in MGMATs while others score much more in MGMATs as compared to scores in GMAT prep test. Either way, you cannot guess which side your score will tilt on the actual day.

Remember to keep your cool and have faith in yourself. Also, be flexible during the test; don't be stubborn. Do not spend more than 3 mins on any question (until and unless all you need to do is say, solve an equation, and you will get the answer). One or two bombed questions will have almost no noticeable impact on your score.
I say this again and again, "GMAT is a game of wits." You keep yours about you and nothing will go wrong.
GMAT Club Bot