Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 20:54 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 20:54
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Extensive undergrad and post-undergrad leadership experience
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Kellogg 1Y (matriculating)
GPA: 3.1 at state school
WE 1: Strategy Consulting, 4 years
WE 2: Military, 2 years
WE 3: Founder of Professional Services Firm, 3 years
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
LionO wrote:
Waitlisted at Booth. I understand Booth has lowest yield of top tier/M7 b-schools so imagine they have to keep a pretty healthly waitlist pipeline to get the class they want.
I did get admitted to the 1 year MBA program at Kellogg on Monday so think I'm headed to Evanston.

To those who got dinged across the board: chin up! That was me last year! It comes with the territory when you apply to only top programs. I spent all of last year thinking about my applications and planning for this year and literally moved heaven and earth to make sure my applications were the best possible representation of who I am.

Congrats to all the admits, good luck to the waitlisters and those who will reapply next year.

LionO, have you see Panthro and Snarf?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
you two should seriously consider both going to the same school and starting the Thundercats Club...

co-president: LionO
co-president: Cheetarah
VP of membership: panthro
CFO: snarf
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I was travelling yesterday, so my cell was off for a lot of the day. No call came through when it was on, but I couldn't worry about that too much.

When I landed at home, I called my house to see if my wife was home from work already. She wasn't, but the phone only rang twice so I knew there was a message on the machine. Could it be? No - it was someone soliciting donations for medical research.

I'm on the west coast, so I could log in when I woke up. Waitlist. Why do you tease me so, Booth? This was the first of my three possibilities to respond. Not a good start.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
To those admitted - Congratulations!!

To those dinged - Here's something I had posted in the Kellogg thread during R1 decision time. I think it is as applicable here as it was back then n there..Allow me to re-post it here...

Sorry to hear about so many dings...Took me back in time to last year when I was in the same boat..Fresh applicant, applied with a lot of enthusiasm only to get dinged thereafter...

Being a reapplicant, believe me when I say that I know how difficult it is to allow the feeling to sink in..But as a reapplicant, also believe me that life doesn't stop. At the end of the day, you still have your skills, aptitude, achievements, confidence and everything else that made you apply in the first place. These attributes will help you eventually find your calling and be successful no matter what you do & where you go.

Don't decide right now whether you want to reapply next year. You will be thinking far too emotionally. Take a complete break for a couple of months and then try to objectively analyze what went wrong. Then take a decision if you want to reapply. You would have anyway gained immensely from all the self-reflection and introspection that goes into the process. You have truly not lost anything at all...

I thought I could reapply to Kellogg one more year because it fit in well with my life's plans. If I get dinged this year, I won't reapply next year. Not because I will be too disheartened but for the simple reason that a two year MBA will not find a place in my life anymore. Some of you might reapply while some of you will not... Either way, if you can hold your own, you will be successful!

Good luck for your remaining schools and in general for life ahead! Also good luck to all the others still waiting for their results! Please try not to be heartbroken if you get dinged..I know I won't be..Not because I don't want an MBA badly enough but because I believe an MBA is just a milestone in my journey, not the destination itself...

Cheers!

To those waitlisted - You have PLENTY of hope!! A lot of us waitlisted in R1 were admitted in this round. Historically, Booth has seen plenty of admits from the waitlist although I don't have any hard stats to back it up. There is a dedicated thread for Booth waitlists. You can access it HERE. The posts in this thread will answer many of your questions that we initially had...

I saw a post where someone was asking if professional help would be advisable to chart out a waitlist approach. While its a completely personal decision that you will have to take, my personal take is that it is really not required. The entire video thing is completely new this year. No professional will be able to give you advice backed by any supporting evidence. Going on your own might be the best approach. I did that and do not regret it and would not have regretted it even if the result had been otherwise...Just my $0.02..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
devooght wrote:
I'm just glad it's finally over.

-------------
Yeah, you already have Tuck! It's a real tight program. Other than H/S/W, I think you are splitting hairs with the rest of A8 or M7 schools. Congrats on Tuck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
got the booth email with the admitted student details and am now a part of the fb group!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Kudos
metal wrote:
Well, congrats to all who got in, I am also in, it wasn't easy, yet, when I am looking at you on this site I honestly don't want to study with most (not all) of you - you are neither interesting or well experienced. I see you are talking about yourself, yet, almost none of you mention any hobbies or any meaningful charity or social work. To see if this school is good, I visited campus, took a tour, interviewed with a second year who was acting quite strange (I would expect better training of those who interview) and went one step further, I checked out profiles of few currently attending students from my country (since I am familiar with what "good" background is like) and I can say that whoever is making decisions in admission office at Booth are clueless about applicants from abroad. I am yet to make my decision on whether I want to attend or not but going through this experience I learned that at least as far as admission goes - it is a joke. Anyway, I may see you guys and study with you so won't leave any info about self here but get ready you bit..ess.

metal, given the tone of your post and that this is your first post, I'm inclined to think you've been turned down by Booth. Wherever it is you do end up going for an MBA, your attitude will really take you places ... the wrong kind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
metal wrote:
going through this experience I learned that at least as far as admission goes - it is a joke..

Sadly if you really were accepted (I'm inclined to agree with wiredo) then I'm afraid you may be right :evil:

In a more humorous tone, I do like the fact that a guy whose name basically looks like "weirdo" was the first one to reply to this post though. :lol: I have no idea what this guy is talking about, because of the more than 10 admissions events that I attended here in Shanghai during my admissions process, Booth's alumni were by far the most humble, dedicated and dare I say successful group of folks I encountered.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
metal wrote:
So, the question for me is whether Booth is worth time, opportunity, money and whether upon my return home, there will be a great network for me (based on my research on network it is not "Yes").
I have strong financial, accounting, and entrepreneurial background, I am looking to join same group, can Booth provide that for me? Should I spend two years learning what I already know...

Sounds to me like you already have your answer...if you don't feel the network is strong based on your post-graduation career goals, and you feel as though you already know what is going to be taught then why waste your time, money, and take a spot in the class (if you really have one) from somebody who really wants to be there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Guys - while I agree that Metal's tone is a bit inflammatory, let's keep it classy here. Tone aside, he brings up some relevant points about what a personal decision attending an MBA program is. The ROI is much more complicated than (tuition and living expenses + lost income) on one side and (new salary and signing bonus + network) on the other.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
metal wrote:
when I am looking at you on this site I honestly don't want to study with most (not all) of you - you are neither interesting or well experienced. I see you are talking about yourself, yet, almost none of you mention any hobbies or any meaningful charity or social work.

Keep in mind that this is a forum on the internet to discuss applying to business school, not a place to discuss hobbies and charity work. If you want to get to know the people who you might be studying with, you should go to Admit Weekend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
On a lighter note, going to Booth also means that you might run into fabulous Fab... :-D
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-23/goldman-s-tourre-travels-to-rwanda-while-awaiting-trial.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
metal wrote:
Well ladies and gents, I just got a warning from cheetahra1980, apparently what I wrote was not an expression of my opinion but inflammatory remarks about other people. If I can't respond to your future posts then you know I have been banned.
There is a post where someone states that I didn't get in, I would like to respond that while it is hard to get into Booth, there are many considerations that go into making a decision to attend or not. Some of us (myself) may have families, kids, etc. and just getting into a top school doesn't mean that everyone rushes in to spend $$$. There are some great teachers that will be teaching at Booth, no doubt, Mr Axel for example, what a great gent, former president of Bundesbank, very bright, he is(was) teaching at Booth and that was great. But, while his views are interesting and time will show how successive Euro experiment will become, I can read his views in WSJ. So, the question for me is whether Booth is worth time, opportunity, money and whether upon my return home, there will be a great network for me (based on my research on network it is not "Yes").
I have strong financial, accounting, and entrepreneurial background, I am looking to join same group, can Booth provide that for me? Should I spend two years learning what I already know...

I don't think people have a problem with you not liking Booth as it is a unique business school that is not for everyone. At least you realize it now before matriculating and wasting $100k. Also, for the record, Cheeterah is one of the most open-minded people on this site. I think people take issue with the fact of how you present your argument. To openingly state that the student body accepted at a top 5 school (based on information included on a message board) is so inferior to you as to not be worth your time comes across incredibly arrogant. If networking is your biggest concern out of business school (and for many people with undergraduate business degrees this is the case) I would suggest you conduct yourself with a little more tact in the future. A school could have the best network in the world and it won't help you one bit if you come across as pompous and self-important as you did in your previous two posts.

Regarding your initial question as to whether can Booth provide you what you need...I would state that if you are already having doubts about a school now, it likely won't get any better once you are there. Also, it seems odd to me that you complain that a business school degree won't teach you anything new (which also is a bold statement) but then state networking is your number one goal. On one hand you seem more of a candidate for a Finance PhD but on the other hand you want networking. I would suggest you also sort this out before pursuing a degree.

Originally posted by Consulting2Finance on 26 Mar 2012, 08:21.
Last edited by Consulting2Finance on 27 Mar 2012, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
A questions to all previously waitlisted admits: After being waitlisted is the admission rolling, meaning we can be admitted any time off a waitlist, or will all of us once again be notified a day before the R3 deadline (May 15)?

Thank you for the help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
metal wrote:
Well, congrats to all who got in, I am also in, it wasn't easy, yet, when I am looking at you on this site I honestly don't want to study with most (not all) of you - you are neither interesting or well experienced. I see you are talking about yourself, yet, almost none of you mention any hobbies or any meaningful charity or social work. To see if this school is good, I visited campus, took a tour, interviewed with a second year who was acting quite strange (I would expect better training of those who interview) and went one step further, I checked out profiles of few currently attending students from my country (since I am familiar with what "good" background is like) and I can say that whoever is making decisions in admission office at Booth are clueless about applicants from abroad. I am yet to make my decision on whether I want to attend or not but going through this experience I learned that at least as far as admission goes - it is a joke. Anyway, I may see you guys and study with you so won't leave any info about self here but get ready you bit..ess.

The best MBA people I ever met in campus visits, MBA events, alumni, and in businesses are Booth graduates. It is one of the best if not the best.

Originally posted by oneyearmba on 27 Mar 2012, 06:15.
Last edited by oneyearmba on 10 Apr 2012, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Just FYI..All posts by metal have been deleted and he/she has been banned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I completely agree with the people who are being realistic after being placed on the waitlist in R2. The class is full (320 paid the first deposit in R1 and 460 admitted in R2) and will allow for WL to come in if R1 or R2 admitted students decide not to attend and don't pay second deposit.

Speaking of deposits, when are the R1 second deposit and R2 first deposit and second deposit dates?

Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  108   109   110   111   112  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts