Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.47
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2014
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink]
Hi everyone, just joined the WL party myself this morning. Having been through this with Tuck another year, I can't say it's a fun process, but best of luck to everyone still waiting!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Can anyone shed light on how valuable it would be to revisit the campus and meet with Adcom or the waitlist manager?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
I was on the WL round 1. My advice is to just relax until April 6 when you can speak with you WL manager. Easier said than done, but there is nothing you can do right now. I would hold of on all plans to visit or GMAT retaking - you might not need it and there is no point in stressing yourself more by planning a trip or additional GMAT studying.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Ephs44 wrote:
I was on the WL round 1. My advice is to just relax until April 6 when you can speak with you WL manager. Easier said than done, but there is nothing you can do right now. I would hold of on all plans to visit or GMAT retaking - you might not need it and there is no point in stressing yourself more by planning a trip or additional GMAT studying.

Thanks! Can you talk about your conversation with the WL manager and what you were really trying to accomplish?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Question to R1 waitlist'ers. How did you you find out who your WL Manager was? Did they reach out to you, already assigned someone to you (that you found out about when you called), or was it that whoever picked the phone when you called became your WL manager?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dkatzdkatz wrote:
Ephs44 wrote:

Thanks! Can you talk about your conversation with the WL manager and what you were really trying to accomplish?

Like someone stated in previous posts, the break the wait list down into two groups:

1. People who have convincing profiles, but have a few areas that need clarification.

2. People who are on the wait list because of class size.

My WL manager explained this breakdown with me and said I fell in the first group and asked me to clarify my career goals and how I intend to accomplish them. A week after this conversation, I created a 2 page essay/synopsis to answer these questions. I reached out to Kellogg faculty members who taught classes in my particular field of interest and asked their advice on how to accomplish my career goals, which helped with the composition of this essay. After submitted my essay, on Jan. 24 I was contacted by the admissions office by phone and was told I was admitted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
masqueraderus wrote:
Question to R1 waitlist'ers. How did you you find out who your WL Manager was? Did they reach out to you, already assigned someone to you (that you found out about when you called), or was it that whoever picked the phone when you called became your WL manager?

You can just called the admissions office on April 6 and they will tell you who your WL manager is.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi all - I've been reading lots of blogs about immediately emailing back and stating your interest and commitment to the program. Is everyone under the same impression that all dialogue should wait until the date communicated (week of April 2nd)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
asmithtexas wrote:
Hi all - I've been reading lots of blogs about immediately emailing back and stating your interest and commitment to the program. Is everyone under the same impression that all dialogue should wait until the date communicated (week of April 2nd)?

My approach is going to wait. Chances are the AdCom is still finalizing R2 decisions and dealing with R3 stuff. I rather be able to talk to them when they have time then show I can't follow simple instructions and likely ad to their busy workload.

I don't think this April 2nd date is a test or anything to see how much of us "truly" want it.

Besides, I'll probably need until April 2nd to turn my brain back on to application mode.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,
I'm having another distracted day at work so I did some data mining (fun!). We seem to have an equal number of waitlisters from each round totaling up to 46 (see lists below). According to the first-page stats, this is roughly equal to the total number of admits across both rounds! Even if you bump up the admit figure by 20% to account for people that didn't update their status, that still means 46 waitlists to 60 admits. This ratio is only a little better (44 waitlists to 100 admits) on beatthegmat.

I think you might be on to something, Consulting2Finance.

Round 1
    BYURover
    Mappleby
    FIM
    Omnivorous
    Scorpionz
    abman1947
    AshForGMAT
    KPrizzle
    Themangoman
    Toriburu
    MrMV
    Chmatmar
    Njindia
    Socalledpremba
    Elena1985
    TheWaitingGame
    Ctrlz
    Twobeersameer
    mbat1
    jetlau3
    mbagirl23
    spain55

Round 2
    Consulting2Finance
    Ebart
    Tbird
    Cervieri
    Bertreynoldz
    Dkatzdkatz
    JMG
    Oodl
    DevelopmentMBA
    sajhan409
    futbolmundo
    rmlaf
    cymin
    vsetia
    vicky615
    healthcareguy
    visu83
    LadyRoadWarrior
    Generalhorn
    Abacab
    Theresalwayshope
    Asmithtexas
    Petergibbons
    greenwave86

Originally posted by healthcareguy on 22 Mar 2012, 16:01.
Last edited by healthcareguy on 22 Mar 2012, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
HCF, thanks for putting this together, although as a small note I was WL R2. I was the first to report a WL since I got the email late at night while having trouble sleeping over my Booth waitlist earlier that day. FML.

But anyway: If I take your +20% assumption to account for under reported admits and also apply it to the BTG number you apply, that means there are roughly 180 admits so far between BTG and GC. Using last year's yield and a class size of 655, Kellogg admitted roughly 1100 students last year (the front page says 1112). Therefore BTG and GC admits represent roughly 16% of the admitted class so far (this may be high since some people likely post on both sites and would be double counted).

If we assume that BTG and GC combined represent 1/5 of acceptees (I think a fair assumption that may be higher since we are talking about people with good enough applications to get in and the two largest forums out there) that means we have roughly 900 acceptees so far. If Kellogg repeats its traditional yield of around 60% that leaves 115 spots for the class of 2014 (give or take). If we expect the yield on the waitlist to be higher, say 75% (which is north of Wharton's yield), that leaves roughly 150 more admits from the waitlist and R3. Again if we apply the 20% rule that means there are roughly 500 people on the waitlist plus R3 applicants for 150 spots. On its surface a 500 person waitlist seems way too high but we'll leave it for now.

That seems like fairly decent odds to be honest, even with what seems to be a very overstated waitlist number of 500. I honeslty have no idea how many apps come in for round 3 but given how many people typically get in from that round, it has to be de minimus. Even if we say there are 100 great aps from R3 that are as solid as the waitlisted R1 and R2 folks, we still have a 25% chance of getting in. In actuality the chance may be much higher.

And this is with me making assumptions that skew towards us not getting in. The only assumption that you could debate that hurts our chances is my assumption that 20% of applicants post on BTG and GC. However even if that is high, its likely at least partially counterbalanced by my other assumptions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Consulting2Finance wrote:
HCF, thanks for putting this together, although as a small note I was WL R2. I was the first to report a WL since I got the email late at night while having trouble sleeping over my Booth waitlist earlier that day. FML.

But anyway: If I take your +20% assumption to account for under reported admits and also apply it to the BTG number you apply, that means there are roughly 180 admits so far between BTG and GC. Using last year's yield and a class size of 655, Kellogg admitted roughly 1100 students last year (the front page says 1112). Therefore BTG and GC admits represent roughly 16% of the admitted class so far (this may be high since some people likely post on both sites and would be double counted).

If we assume that BTG and GC combined represent 1/5 of acceptees (I think a fair assumption that may be higher since we are talking about people with good enough applications to get in and the two largest forums out there) that means we have roughly 900 acceptees so far. If Kellogg repeats its traditional yield of around 60% that leaves 115 spots for the class of 2014 (give or take). If we expect the yield on the waitlist to be higher, say 75% (which is north of Wharton's yield), that leaves roughly 150 more admits from the waitlist and R3. Again if we apply the 20% rule that means there are roughly 500 people on the waitlist plus R3 applicants for 150 spots. On its surface a 500 person waitlist seems way too high but we'll leave it for now.

That seems like fairly decent odds to be honest, even with what seems to be a very overstated waitlist number of 500. I honeslty have no idea how many apps come in for round 3 but given how many people typically get in from that round, it has to be de minimus. Even if we say there are 100 great aps from R3 that are as solid as the waitlisted R1 and R2 folks, we still have a 25% chance of getting in. In actuality the chance may be much higher.

And this is with me making assumptions that skew towards us not getting in. The only assumption that you could debate that hurts our chances is my assumption that 20% of applicants post on BTG and GC. However even if that is high, its likely at least partially counterbalanced by my other assumptions.

We're nerding out on a whole new level here - love it! I personally think that both these forums self-select members in such a way that the members are probably more qualified and more driven than the average applicant. For example the acceptance rate in this forum for Kellogg 2012 so far is 60/234 = 26% versus the 20% rate of acceptance in the latest intake. In that sense, while I don't think that 20% of the total applicant pool have registered on these two forums, the GC+BTG accepted pool may still make up 20% of the total accepted pool. Also, I would estimate a 10% overlap of registered users in both the forums from my daily observations. Often, I'll see someone post here and then on BTG right after. Using that math, there are only 800 acceptees at this time.

As for the waitlisters, its 44+46=90, less the 10% double-counting adjustment, leaving us with 81. Using the 20% rule here, that gives us roughly 400 waitlisters - still high, but probably more realistic.

Even if we bump up the R3 "strong applicants" to 200, that still means 600 people fighting for 300 acceptance letters, giving us a 50-50 chance. BOOM!

Haha, that seems way high but the math don't lie ;)

PS: I fixed your name on the list
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
did everybody get an april 2nd date?, i saw many with april 6th dates.

As I read in one post, it might be the way to differentiate the two kinds of WL applincants

I got april 2nd by the way
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Apr 2nd here as well. How would 4 days make a difference? Perhaps it is like that so everyone doesn't call on the same day and inundate the poor WL managers?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
JMG wrote:
did everybody get an april 2nd date?, i saw many with april 6th dates.

As I read in one post, it might be the way to differentiate the two kinds of WL applincants

I got april 2nd by the way

Mine said Apr 2 as well. My last name is in the first part of the alphabet in case they split it up like that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Operations
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
I got April 2 as well. There was no mention of the date in my official waitlist notification. It was in the waitlist FAQ website that was linked in my notification. Are you all saying that there are different waitlist FAQ websites floating around out there with two different dates?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
All right, I'm joining this team now. Kellogg is my top choice.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  23