Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:54 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Do I have a valid case to complain about the test center? [#permalink]
Well the best time to ask for this report is when you are leaving the test center. But my advice is call the test center. Remind them about what happened yesterday and just let them know that you think it really messed with your score. Although you understand these things happen, you'd like a written explanation from them of what happened b/c you are going to make a case to recieve a free retake.

At this point, you will not get the score removed from your report. But the best you can do is get a free retake. So go for that. If you are kind and reasonable, they will more inclined to help.

Let us know how it turns out!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
Well the best time to ask for this report is when you are leaving the test center. But my advice is call the test center. Remind them about what happened yesterday and just let them know that you think it really messed with your score. Although you understand these things happen, you'd like a written explanation from them of what happened b/c you are going to make a case to recieve a free retake.

At this point, you will not get the score removed from your report. But the best you can do is get a free retake. So go for that. If you are kind and reasonable, they will more inclined to help.

Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks! I just get off the phone with the test center and they said they already sent the report of what happened on the test day to Pearson. All I need to do is to email Pearson at the email address above and wait for the response, which I did.

I also asked whether they have similar cases in the past at the test center and the admin said there were some cases, in which test takers were allowed to retake the test for free, but it depends greatly on the situation.

So I just cross my fingers and see what happens.. Will update you the progress.

Thanks again.
-C
Intern
Intern
Send PM
After more than one month of processing (Pearson Asia had to escalate my issue to the program coordinator in the US), today I got the official response, together with my AWA score (yes, it took them 1 month to grade it, unlike typical procedure which usually takes them 10 days). I just get off the phone with a Pearson customer representative.

I got 6 on AWA, and my request to have a free retake has been approved. The representative was very nice and apologized me for what happened. However they are unable to add a note in my GMAT profile to say what happened. The representative said when the schools ask about it, just give them the incident report number and when they contact Pearson, Pearson will provide all the details. I wasn't sure what day I should retake the exam again, so he said whenever I'm ready, just call customer service and provide the incident report number for them to schedule. There is already a note on that incident saying that I'm entitled for a free retake, at no cost.

So, remember to ask for your incident report number from the testing center if you think you have a case. That incident report number is crucial, so be sure to store it safely. Basically this is your right, so if you don't do it, nobody will do it for you. And test centers are not very willing to remind you this, soemthing indicating that they did not provide a quality service. I didn't know the existence of the incident report number until the customer service asked me what mine is. Then I had to call the test center, asked for that number, and called Pearson back.

The representative also said actions have been taken on the test center side, but he cannot disclose what exactly those actions are. He also assured me that similar problems won't happen next time I take the test there, if I choose to.

Hope this helps people in similar situation.. I guess GMAT still likes me...
Director
Director
Send PM
I'm very happy that you were able to get your free test out of it! This was the best you could hope for. Best of luck, and I hope you knock it out of the park this time. Plus, with a free test, you're playing with house money so hopefully that takes some pressure off...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
I'm very happy that you were able to get your free test out of it! This was the best you could hope for. Best of luck, and I hope you knock it out of the park this time. Plus, with a free test, you're playing with house money so hopefully that takes some pressure off...

Thanks and appreciate... I'm going back to GMAT cave now :)) Will update score later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
If it makes you feel better, you're not alone in this. I read a similiar story a few days ago from someone in Pakistan where outtages are the norm.

Anyway, best wishes on your retake!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
I'm very sorry to hear what you experienced on your test day. Although its good to see that you get to retake the test. I faced a similar situation when I gave my exam to (See the thread "Horrendous GMAT Experience!", Sorry i cant post links yet)....I emailed GMAC a week ago at the above address that you used. But I still haven't received any reply. How long did it take for you to get a reply? What other steps did you take to sort out your predicament?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts