Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:48 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [7]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.56
WE:Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Advice for Career Changers [#permalink]
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with this one. I applied as a career changer and did just fine. In fact I don't think I would have gotten in if I claimed to want to stay within my current line of work. If an applicant can connect the dots from past/current experience to future aspirations there is no reason they shouldn't be successful (as long as the other aspects of the app were in line). I always tell people to detail their real career goals. It sounds much more compelling than just saying what you think the adcom wants to hear.

+1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with this one. I applied as a career changer and did just fine. In fact I don't think I would have gotten in if I claimed to want to stay within my current line of work. If an applicant can connect the dots from past/current experience to future aspirations there is no reason they shouldn't be successful (as long as the other aspects of the app were in line). I always tell people to detail their real career goals. It sounds much more compelling than just saying what you think the adcom wants to hear.

I don't think your personal experience is relevant to whether the OPs advice is in general a sound one. And I don't think he's claiming that you absolutely can't get into a top school as a career changer....obviously you can. Only that its generally a safer strategy to avoid applying as a career changer. THe OPs post doesn't apply to everyone (nothing does) but is nevertheless pretty sound IMO.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mooze wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

I don't think your personal experience is relevant to whether the OPs advice is in general a sound one. And I don't think he's claiming that you absolutely can't get into a top school as a career changer....obviously you can. Only that its generally a safer strategy to avoid applying as a career changer. THe OPs post doesn't apply to everyone but is nevertheless pretty sound IMO.

True my personal experience may not be indicative of the whole. However, anecdotal evidence I've seen from other applicants shows the same type of results. Do I think someone's goals can be totally out of left field from their background? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean an applicant who is a consultant shouldn't be honest about his/her goal of working in brand management simply because it's logical to want to continue along the consulting path and become a PM. If that person can show how the skills they already have would benefit them in a new career field and that an MBA will help fill in the gaps, then from what I've seen in other successful applicants who talked about career changing I doubt an adcom would be nervous reading those goals. I stand by the assertion that being honest helps in writing compelling essays. And if a person honestly wants to switch careers then they should logically detail how they plan to do it with the help of an MBA. Isn't a consultant's job to help applicants figure out how to tell their own story, not give them a story they think adcoms want to hear? IJS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
mooze wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

I don't think your personal experience is relevant to whether the OPs advice is in general a sound one. And I don't think he's claiming that you absolutely can't get into a top school as a career changer....obviously you can. Only that its generally a safer strategy to avoid applying as a career changer. THe OPs post doesn't apply to everyone but is nevertheless pretty sound IMO.

True my personal experience may not be indicative of the whole. However, anecdotal evidence I've seen from other applicants shows the same type of results. Do I think someone's goals can be totally out of left field from their background? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean an applicant who is a consultant shouldn't be honest about his/her goal of working in brand management simply because it's logical to want to continue along the consulting path and become a PM. If that person can show how the skills they already have would benefit them in a new career field and that an MBA will help fill in the gaps, then from what I've seen in other successful applicants who talked about career changing I doubt an adcom would be nervous reading those goals. I stand by the assertion that being honest helps in writing compelling essays. And if a person honestly wants to switch careers then they should logically detail how they plan to do it with the help of an MBA. Isn't a consultant's job to help applicants figure out how to tell their own story, not give them a story they think adcoms want to hear? IJS

Well, as long as we're basing this on anecdotal evidence, I can tell you the vast majority of the applicants i've spoken to do not tell "their story",..they tell the best version of a story they can credibly sell based on their work experience and overall profile. Lets not be naive about the application process,...when I went to Tuck ASW the career services folks told us that based on previous classes 70% of us would change careers,...obviously not everyone suddenly realizes they were wrong about their deeply held goals,...it stands to reason that many (if not most) either don't know what they want to do (and therefore tell the best story they can),... or know what they want to do but sell a different story that sounds better.

Honestly,..I appreciate that the OP is simply dealing with reality,..the majority of MBA applicants are not wedded to a specific career goal/path. This talk about "finding your own voice" or "telling your own story" can be a little patronizing. We all know that's not how the game is played. And a consultant's job is to teach his/her clients how to play the game.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
As cynical as this sounds, the job of the consultant is to get a candidate into her dream school. The reality is when you are looking at the application as a whole, the content of the other essays will have stories from their previous background. If the career you are shooting for has limited overlap of skills from your current position, then the adcom doesn't have a view into how you could be successful in the new career. There is an element of "grasping at straws" that the applicant is at risk of showing, and I believe that is the OP's intent of the post.

If you are currently an RFID development engineer and want to work in investment banking post-MBA, it is difficult to connect the dots. If you currently work in management consulting to CPG's and want to move to brand management, there is more content there to be able to put into the essay as to why you are ready to make that change. In my mind, it seems that a lot of people use the MBA as an "anything but what I do now" exit and that can come out in the essays if you put down an industry you know nothing about but sounds cool (e.g., private equity).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I think there are some important caveats to this advice and it probably depends on how you define career change. A general rule is that you can change functions or you can change industries, but it's really hard to change both.

- Some people have little choice but to present themselves as career changers. An engineer or a software developer is basically expected to be changing careers (and engineering/sciences generally makes up 1/3 of the class). You could say you wanted to go into operations or just be in a position to manage people I suppose, but it's frankly just as natural for a developer to go into product management in the tech industry. Or a scientist going into marketing at DuPont for example. These functions are not that hard to sell.

- "Downgrading" is generally not an issue. So if you worked in banking and want to transition to industry, this is not really a hard sell either, particularly if it was an industry you analyzed. Same with consulting.

I think it is true that any moves into finance if you don't have experience can be really tough to sell. The other direction you can usually claim you fell in love with xxx industry, but it's just harder to say you suddenly discovered your love for finance when you've never done it before.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot