Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - chances of top 7 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
WallStreetWizard wrote:
Hi,

Can you please evaluate my profile for chances of getting into the top 7 (H/S/W, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Sloan).

Graduate from IIT Roorkee (Class of '08), major in Mechanical Engineering.
(Planning on applying next year i.e., 2013. Will be 26 with a work ex of 6 years at the time of matriculation)
Strong academics throughout school and college.
Grade X, XII ~90% (CBSE Board)
Grade Point at College: 8.75/10
Won a Summer Undergrad Research Award in junior year (project on applied robotics)
Summer internship MIT in sophomore year (project on Nanorobotics)
Gold medal B.Tech degree project in senior year (project on applied robotics)
Was heavily involved with the robotics club and won several national level contests while in college.

Worked with a startup technology consulting firm for 2 yrs and was a star performer. Given the small size of the firm, led several initiatives - Lead on several projects, managed teams of ~5 analysts, designed the org-wide training framework, part of recruitment drives. (Joined as an Associate, was promoted to Sr. Associate in 1.5 yrs)

Joined a financial research group at a top B-school in India to undergo training in Finance and analytical methods. Stayed there for ~5 months.

Been with a fortune 500 US based financial services firm - started and led the team which has now grown to 6 associates. Got promoted within a year (unusual for the company). Led several division-wide initiatives. Relocating to the states (within the same group) in a few months.

Some sports in college - gold medal at freshmen athletic meet, part of inter-IIT swimming team.
Been with an NGO in Bangalore working with children from impoverished backgrounds imparting life-skills to help them get back to mainstream society. One-on-one mentoring.

GMAT: 760

What are my chances of getting into the top 7?

Given that I still have ~1.5 years before I apply, where should I spend most of my time to strengthen my applications.

Thanks in advance.

You seem like a strong candidate to me. My only concern so far is a lack of leadership in the community: mentoring one on one is wonderful, but it doesn't demonstrate peer leadership and teamwork like a sport and community organization role does. That is definitely an area I would want you to focus on for the next 1.5 years before you apply.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation - chances of top 7 [#permalink]