Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.44
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval: From Law school to B School [#permalink]
Love your handle. Easily my favorite book and one of my favorite characters.

I think you have a solid shot at Top 15 bschools so long as you can alleviate their concerns about 1) sticking it out 2) being focused. I agree with you on the approach of using the law school experience as a development opportunity that helped you grow. You can leverage that to point out that having been through that, you're more calculating about your decision to go to business school and have even more conviction that this is EXACTLY what you want to do. Although it is concerning that you decided you hated the idea of practicing law AFTER beginning law school (are you going to realize you HATE the idea of being a consultant/ibanker/asset manager/general manager after beginning business school?)

Not sure what your GMAT breakdown is, but if your quant is low, you might want to retake (given your non-quant undergrad) or possibly take some quant courses at a local school.

Pardon my candor and bluntness here, but your goals are incredibly vague and trite. You need to put together a story between your past and your future, and clearly elucidate how business school fits in. The future needs to be something that any business school 1) wants to be accredited with helping you achieve 2) recognizes is feasible 3) finds believable and specific enough to recognize that you're not being aimless.

Keep in mind, also, that at business school you'll likely quickly determine that 1) you're smart enough to do it 2) you may similarly be disinterested in subsequent career opportunities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
i think faro hits it mostly on the head. given your decision to leave law school (which, IMO, was prbly the right decision), you need to be extra crisp about your career focus and objectives to offset this weakness in your app. If you can do that effectively, you'll be competitive in the t15. saying you want to go into mgmt consulting won't be tight enough for you.

bear in mind, however, that top 15 is a large spread. there's a big difference b/t admission to stanford vs. #15 (univ of richmond). i think what you're asking is "Can i get into a top tier?" ansr is the same as long as you address that focus issue.

hope that's helpful,
-james young
GMAT Club Bot