Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 23:08 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 23:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8869 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Your experience after taking next generation GMAT [#permalink]
ShalabhAr wrote:
OG 13 does not have any IR questions. Download the GMAT prep software from the GMAT website. It contains 50 questions.

Actually, OG13 comes with a 50 question bank of IR questions posted on a companion website.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I ran out of time on the IR section. The GMATPrep software and example questions on mba.com didn't prepare me for every question type. I can't speak about OG 13 because I haven't seen it.

Without disclosing any content of the exam, I suggest you prepare not only for data-table questions, but also for critical reasoning/logic questions. For example, the following is a logic problem:

Four sandwich-makers will be chosen from twelve to make sandwiches. If Joe makes sandwiches, Jack or John, but not both, will make sandwiches. If Jim makes sandwiches, Jerry or Jake, but not both, will make sandwiches. If Julian makes sandwiches, Jerome or Jude, but not both, will make sandwiches. Jeremy won't make sandwiches with Jack or John.

Can you identify which combinations of four sandwich-makers are possible?

The thing is, the if-then statements only go one way. If Jerry makes sandwiches, it doesn't necessarily mean Jim will make sandwiches. But he might! And it might be tempting to say Jack and John is either-or (meaning only one, but not both, can make sandwiches)... but actually Jack and John can make sandwiches together if Joe's not there.

Side note: I could really go for a sandwich right now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
NonYankee wrote:
I ran out of time on the IR section. The GMATPrep software and example questions on mba.com didn't prepare me for every question type. I can't speak about OG 13 because I haven't seen it.

Without disclosing any content of the exam, I suggest you prepare not only for data-table questions, but also for critical reasoning/logic questions. For example, the following is a logic problem:

Four sandwich-makers will be chosen from twelve to make sandwiches. If Joe makes sandwiches, Jack or John, but not both, will make sandwiches. If Jim makes sandwiches, Jerry or Jake, but not both, will make sandwiches. If Julian makes sandwiches, Jerome or Jude, but not both, will make sandwiches. Jeremy won't make sandwiches with Jack or John.

Can you identify which combinations of four sandwich-makers are possible?

The thing is, the if-then statements only go one way. If Jerry makes sandwiches, it doesn't necessarily mean Jim will make sandwiches. But he might! And it might be tempting to say Jack and John is either-or (meaning only one, but not both, can make sandwiches)... but actually Jack and John can make sandwiches together if Joe's not there.

Side note: I could really go for a sandwich right now.

You mean Logic Game and Flowchart type questions... 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
macjas wrote:
You mean Logic Game and Flowchart type questions... 8-)

Oh, that's right. I wasn't aware of those terms; I suppose that I didn't study for IR very thoroughly. Thanks for the clarification!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Actually, those terms are just what I call them (don't think its official or anything :) ) I just took the opportunity to post two of these question types in the IR section...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
LekhaChandrika wrote:
Friends,

Those who took the next generation GMAT, can you please share your experience. Especially on IR section... what sort of preparation is required? Also I have with me OG 12. Now planning to buy OG 13. How different are they other than the IR section?

Thanks

I took the exam on 9th July 2012 with the IR section. OG 13 has an online IR part, which can be accessed by a code in the book. These questions, free IR books from Magoosh, GMAT Pill etc will help you understand the question patterns. You can download the free workshop video from Manhattan GMAT. Finally GMAT Prep has IR questions for practise and in CAT.
GMAT Club Bot