Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Would you get a Second Degree or a Masters if..... [#permalink]
bullgator2000 wrote:
Hypothetically, assume this scenario was yours, what would you do?

You got your undergraduate degree from the University of Florida in 2005. You degree was a BSBA with the major of Marketing. Your job experience up till this point has been very spotty(part time management and sales). You had a 2.75 GPA in college, and didn't intern anywhere. You're networking base is very good though.

Currently, you work in retail banking at a very reputable bank with the ability to move to the investment side of this company down the road in a few years.

Should you try and attain a second under graduate degree in Finance or Accounting at the University of Central Florida, as you have many of the pre-reqs for one of these degrees?

Or should you wait and go for a Masters, either in Finance, Accounting, or an MBA down the road. Accounting being almost impossible with your work experience and undergraduate degree. Finance being difficult because you've waiting 7 years to go for a graduate degree. And an MBA difficult because of your lousy GPA and spotty job record.

Certainly things aren't optimal where you are, but you want to make the right choices going forward. You are looking to rebrand yourself and break into the financial industry sooner than later. What would you do? Thanks

If that was me, I think I should try going for MBA. I believe there are still some schools out there that can give you opportunities to still study but of course you might need some personal consultancies that can help you through the hassle of MBA applications. I've heard from my brother one site which is mbaqandaDOTcom and he said that the guys there were very helpful. You might also want to try checking on this site in the future.

Jerome
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
I can honestly say I am in a very similar position; undergraduated in marketing last year and then founded my own business, now thinking about getting an Msc in general Management.

I'm 23 YO so that might change the equation for you a little bit, but I thought about committing myself to a second undergrad degree and realized that would drain years out of my life: I do not think I can endure it.

Also I'm in Europe, and here it's actually common to do: Undergrad+Master instead of Undergrad+Experience+MBA.

If you have the chance, evaluate if an Msc might work out for you. There are some who accept experienced students (less than 3 years usually, less than 1 the top schools)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
well done man !!!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92919 posts