Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Said (A)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Career switching is very common, but your narrative should still be grounded in your past experience. So, finance would be fine, if you can relate it to international development, let's say. (E.g., I want to work at the World Bank or IFC one day...) -- that would make fine sense with your profile and show why you need an MBA. But saying that you want to get into Investment Banking or Corporate Finance would be a bit of a stretch. See what I'm saying? Entrepreneurship could work too, but since you've rebuilt your career in the international development space, I'd think the IFC type of career goal would be the strongest fit. Of course, you should write what feels true to you, but also keep these guidelines in mind. The story should be logical and demonstrate why you want to do what you state, and why you need an MBA to get there.

Good luck!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your answer, Mili! :) I think some corporate finance at the school and IFC/World Bank in the long run would really make sence for me.

However, are you sure IFC or the World Bank as a long-term goal would make sence for adcoms? Don't they usually require a PHD in economics (or MA in economics) at the IFC?

Thank you in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ..
My GMAT score is 730 (QA 50 VA 39) AWA 4.0 IR 6 ... I got 690 in my previous attempt with AWA 5.5... Is this good enuf for ISB.. I got a work exp. of 3.25 yrs in a multinational IT firm.. please reply.. do i need to retake the GMAT for the low AWA score..
GRAD- 3.2/4
I am B Tech in Mechanical from VIT...
Please help..
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello 523561,

To follow-up on WB/IFC - you'd have to do more research to know whether that's a realistic career path. If it is, then it would make a great story. If it's not, then you probably shouldn't use it, but should find something similar (maybe being a CFO at an international development/investment company like Kiva or something?? Really just thinking out loud...)

Good luck!
Mili
Send PM
Expert Reply
LivelyJimmy,

In my opinion, you needn't retake your GMAT. The AWA is not as heavily considered as the rest of the exam, and you did quite well. I'd suggest you focus on other pieces of your application at this stage.

In the future, if you have a query, please post it in a new thread so we can stay organized (unless your question is directly related to someone else's thread). Thanks!

Best of luck,
Mili
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Mili,

I think I have found my career narrative and I'm pretty excited about it. IFC regularly hires MBA graduates, but it also requires that they have 3-4 years of finance-related work experience. I think getting to IFC and exceling there would make an excellent long-term goal for me (not short-term, because I cannot get there right after obtaining an MBA degree). Can I build my short-term goal story around Private Wealth Management or Corporate Finance (or simply a firm like PIMCO which invests heavily in the developing world) provided I state IFC as my long term goal? Or will it scare away the adcoms anyway and microfinance institutions like Kiva or ASA post-MBA will look better? (Will they actually constitute a decent choice for top schools like Wharton or Booth?)

I would highly appreciate your reply!

Kind regards,
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think that makes sense ... (the IFC part, at least!). Definitely whatever you choose for your short term goal needs to give you the strong finance experience that IFC seeks and the continued international development thread. I'm not sure about corporate finance vs KIVA track... we'd have to have a longer/more in-depth conversation to discuss that. If you'd like, you can sign up for a free consultation with a consultant from our team to discuss your career narrative in more depth: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

I think you're getting very close on this, though, overall! Congrats!

Best,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Moderator:
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
1452 posts