Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Top 5
 Q36  V37
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q36  V37
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: GMAT Journey: Mind, Body, Soul [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ks2009 wrote:
BB,

Thanks for your kind words. After taking my first GMAT on 1.10.09, I plan to retake the GMAT by May 30th. May 30th because I may be going out of the country for work and may not get as much study time in. The tough part is staying motivated and improving. I am taking a CAT tomorrow to see if I have improved by studying OG 11 with a timer and error log. Hopefully I have!

Do you feel that you have a good grasp of all the math areas test on the gmat?
Quant is probably the easier of areas for most members here - at least judging from their scores - yours is the opposite, which is good and bad.

The good part is that your verbal is up already but the bad is that the math has sucked up a lot of time and effort and still not up there.
I would recommend instead of going through OG and other tests, go back to a math book and re-start.
I know it sounds crazy but without a solid foundation, you cannot succeed. I am actually a Kaplan materials fan, but it looks like it did not work, perhaps one of the MGMAT Guides may help? They have a general one for math - Manhattan GMAT Math.

Last question - do you hate math?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Thanks..I also believe the GMAT is part psychological "game"..you need to understand its methods.
Have a good frame of mind is crucial.

My Verbal is also my strongest point so far....surprising since I have a quant background!!
Intern
Intern
 Q36  V37
Send PM
BB,

I feel like I have an ok grasp of math areas tested on the gmat: exponents, combinations, probability are still ify :(
I know the basics formulas although I need to figure how to apply while not taking too long on any one problem. I still make simple mistakes like forgetting the simple interest rate formula.

I look a GMAT Prep CAT this morning and got a 640: Q42 and V 36. I know I can def improve my Verbal so need to read the MGMAT SC book this week.

Math has never been easy for me. I wouldn't say I hate math but know it's not how I naturally think. I am more right brained.

Suggestions on math basic review besides Kaplan? I am searching the forum for exponents and interest rate concept info.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
ks2009 wrote:
BB,

I feel like I have an ok grasp of math areas tested on the gmat: exponents, combinations, probability are still ify :(
I know the basics formulas although I need to figure how to apply while not taking too long on any one problem. I still make simple mistakes like forgetting the simple interest rate formula.

I look a GMAT Prep CAT this morning and got a 640: Q42 and V 36. I know I can def improve my Verbal so need to read the MGMAT SC book this week.

Math has never been easy for me. I wouldn't say I hate math but know it's not how I naturally think. I am more right brained.

Suggestions on math basic review besides Kaplan? I am searching the forum for exponents and interest rate concept info.

It may only make it harder with time, but it is useful to do a quick answer check after the question - for example, if you calculated the percentage or something else. Also, often math answer choices will have a pattern to them, such as
A. 1.5%
B. 1.8%
C. 2.1 %
D. 15%
E. 18%

When I see something like this, my first guess is that other people who took this question when it was experimental and tried out, may have made a mistake by multiplying by 10 or dividing by 10. Not always but often the group that has the most answers will be the one you should aim for. However, what this gives you, is an idea what to check for - for example did you forget to multiply by 10? This usually saved me. On my real GMAT I found 2 mistakes during my routine answer check procedure, which got me really scared because I rarely found mistakes in my prep process. This tool/trick is something you should try after you are already comfortable with basics and other solution methods. This will catch a few obvious errors but will not solve the problems, so I would not spent more than 5 seconds on it per question.

About formulas. You do need to memorize all formulas you are expected to know, but that's not enough - you must also memorize at least 1 problem in which you would use the formula, so that you can recreate that problem on the test and apply the formula to the question - it was not enough for me to just know the formula - I was getting confused about which item to plug into numerator and which into denominator. By memorize the problem, I mean memorize every word of the problem and solution so that you can recreate it in the middle of the night if I woke you up, not vaguely remember the problem. Kaplan math workbook had a good section at the back that I used - make sure you memorize every problem from the back of it.

It also is worth a few points on GMAT to know how percents and fractions translate into each other. For example, what is \(\frac{1}{12}\)? or 15%?
Intern
Intern
 Q36  V37
Send PM
BB,

Great advice - I agree I must have a solid understanding of basic math concepts.

I like your idea of understanding a formula by memorizing a corresponding problem. I am using that method and re-reviewing OG 11 by concept i.e. exponents.

I plan to re-review OG 11 until I understand and memorize formulas and problems. In addition, I plan on taking a GMAT Prep CAT every weekend till 5/30. I may purchase the GMATfix software to understand problems from GMAT Prep.

Thanks for your advice and guidance!

bb wrote:
ks2009 wrote:
BB,

It may only make it harder with time, but it is useful to do a quick answer check after the question - for example, if you calculated the percentage or something else. Also, often math answer choices will have a pattern to them, such as
A. 1.5%
B. 1.8%
C. 2.1 %
D. 15%
E. 18%

When I see something like this, my first guess is that other people who took this question when it was experimental and tried out, may have made a mistake by multiplying by 10 or dividing by 10. Not always but often the group that has the most answers will be the one you should aim for. However, what this gives you, is an idea what to check for - for example did you forget to multiply by 10? This usually saved me. On my real GMAT I found 2 mistakes during my routine answer check procedure, which got me really scared because I rarely found mistakes in my prep process. This tool/trick is something you should try after you are already comfortable with basics and other solution methods. This will catch a few obvious errors but will not solve the problems, so I would not spent more than 5 seconds on it per question.

About formulas. You do need to memorize all formulas you are expected to know, but that's not enough - you must also memorize at least 1 problem in which you would use the formula, so that you can recreate that problem on the test and apply the formula to the question - it was not enough for me to just know the formula - I was getting confused about which item to plug into numerator and which into denominator. By memorize the problem, I mean memorize every word of the problem and solution so that you can recreate it in the middle of the night if I woke you up, not vaguely remember the problem. Kaplan math workbook had a good section at the back that I used - make sure you memorize every problem from the back of it.

It also is worth a few points on GMAT to know how percents and fractions translate into each other. For example, what is \(\frac{1}{12}\)? or 15%?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
ks2009 wrote:
BB,

A. 1.5%
B. 1.8%
C. 2.1 %
D. 15%
E. 18%

BTW..I used ARCO Petersen's GRE/GMAT workbok..it has many different variations of question types per formula...such as different D=RT, mixtures, etc....helped me feel less panic if I was familiar with variations...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I am going to start my GMAT preparation.
As of now, I am doing Job in manufacturing company.So I just want to ask if i keep on studying for an hour daily will it be sufficient?(Definitely, I will do detail planning for my studies so that this hour will be utilized properly.)
Apart from this, Can you suggest appropriate Books and course that can help me out??
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts