Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Review - University List [#permalink]
Ward2012 wrote:
whatthegmat wrote:
I am in the process of compiling the list of universities I want to apply to. Please take a look and suggest modifications.

26 yr old Indian male.
Undergrad BE india - 2007 - 83% (confirmed)
Grad School in US(top 5) - 2008 - 3.6 to 3.8 GPA (waiting for transcript from univ)
GMAT - 730 (Q50, v 39, awa,ir - waiting)
WorkEx(as of Oct 2012) -
3 yrs and 8 months for a leading enterprise software firm at San Francisco
2 promotions in 3 years.
14+ patents filed as engineer.
2 major product enhancements as product manager

Univ List
1. Harvard
2. Stanford
3. Wharton
4. Kellogg
5. Columbia
6. Yale
7. NYU
8. ISB

Thanks a lot.

I think you have a decent shot at the schools you mention. The patents are impressive and you have good numbers. what are your goals? Anything else to differentiate yourself from the large Indian IT male applicant pool?

also, are you looking for something in particular from a school? Some of the schools on your list are very different from each other in terms of culture, geography and strengths.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Goal:
1. Share the lessons from 4+ yrs of experience in corp. america, reflect on the decisions that we had made as a team and draw lessons.
2. Enhance my analytical/communication skills. Counting on the rigorousness of the program, diversity of the class and the team/case based approach.
3. Widen my horizon - classmate, coursework, international course opportunities.

Differentiation points:
1. working for a company that is a pioneer in the field of cloud computing for enterprise software
2. expecting good recommendations from senior directors/svp both in engineering/product management

Target schools:
1. Focus on general management, leadership and strategy.
2. close to a major city
3. have spent over 4 years on the west coast in the silicon valley....so looking for a east coast school(stanford being an exception)

Also what are the key points that I should focus on my essays. Something that would make my profile stand out.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Ok, thanks for the extra information. For "Focus on general management, leadership and strategy", every school will teach you general management and strategy and give you leadership opportunities. I think you need to dig deeper and pick different aspects of the program that will help you and relate those aspects to your past personal experiences. Every top school already knows they are great. You need to tell them why you think they're great. For example, listing classes, clubs or professors is fine and shows you did your research, but you need to tie those things to your goals, ambitions and your past experiences. Like if you mention that a school has a great strategy class, that's great. But you need to say how exactly that strategy class will help you.

For your desire to be near a city, that's understandable. If there are any target companies in any of the cities near these schools, you can talk about that when you talk about your goals.

For your goals, they're too vague. Improving teamwork, analytic skills, meeting new people are goals of everyone applying to schools. You need to think about specific industries, roles and how you want to make an impact. Then you need to think about what skills an MBA will give you to get to your goal.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
Ok, thanks for the extra information. For "Focus on general management, leadership and strategy", every school will teach you general management and strategy and give you leadership opportunities. I think you need to dig deeper and pick different aspects of the program that will help you and relate those aspects to your past personal experiences. Every top school already knows they are great. You need to tell them why you think they're great. For example, listing classes, clubs or professors is fine and shows you did your research, but you need to tie those things to your goals, ambitions and your past experiences. Like if you mention that a school has a great strategy class, that's great. But you need to say how exactly that strategy class will help you.

For your desire to be near a city, that's understandable. If there are any target companies in any of the cities near these schools, you can talk about that when you talk about your goals.

For your goals, they're too vague. Improving teamwork, analytic skills, meeting new people are goals of everyone applying to schools. You need to think about specific industries, roles and how you want to make an impact. Then you need to think about what skills an MBA will give you to get to your goal.

Good luck

Thank you. This is very useful. I have a lot of thinking to do.
GMAT Club Bot