Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
GPA: 3.77
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - Journalist [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Glad to help! Come back and drop us a line with your score, and we can see how you might fare, taking things forward.

Now....

Go kill that GMAT!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Joe,

So, I am coming back here and looking for advice. I took the GMAT last month and got 640 (34V and 43Q). Not what I was expecting but I don't think I can do anything about it now and I have been focussing on writing strong essays after that. I have had my essays for 2 schools reviewed by 4 different current B-school students (in Emory and Austin) and one Columbia alum and have receieved very positive feedback from them, I know both my short term and long term goals are tied well with the MBA programs and my recos are pretty solid as well. Due to sub-par GMAT score, I have changed the list of schools I am applying to. How would you rate my chances in the following schools:

1. Duke - Fuqua
2. UNC- Kenan Flagler
3. Texas - McComba
4. Emory
5. Georgetown
6. USC
7. Boston College
8. Boston University

I understand there are so many factors involved that can affect the final decision, but based on my profile and GMAT, how do you rate my chances in these schools? I have already interviewed at Fuqua and KF (during school visits). Thanks!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Avantika,
Well, given your list, the first three schools will be most challenging. the others, you would have chances at, even if your GMAT is lower than average, because I feel your profile has a good basis. And Boston college is your one "safe school" which is great.

However, the big question is: If you had been expecting to get a 710 or so on the GMAT, what happened? And would it not be a better idea to retake and apply next year and get accepted to far better programs??? (If you feel you can do better on the GMAT)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Dear Avantika,
Well, given your list, the first three schools will be most challenging. the others, you would have chances at, even if your GMAT is lower than average, because I feel your profile has a good basis. And Boston college is your one "safe school" which is great.

However, the big question is: If you had been expecting to get a 710 or so on the GMAT, what happened? And would it not be a better idea to retake and apply next year and get accepted to far better programs??? (If you feel you can do better on the GMAT)

GMAT was a disaster, I was regularly scoring close to 700 in the mocks and when I took the real test, I got a 640. I did take it again but did even worse - got a 570 2nd time. I certainly think I can do better than that, but, due to some personal and family commitments, I want to start b-school in fall 2013. Which is why I changed the school list and decided to give it a shot.

Also, to clarify, I have completed https://mbamath.com/ before submitting the applications (except to USC) and have attached my transcripts to the application. I will also take quant, finance courses in spring/summer to make sure I am prepared for the rigors of the b-school. I have mentioned this in my optional essays, I don't know how much difference it will make (maybe the school will still consider my sub-par GMAT score if they think I will be prepared for b-school with those courses), but I wanted to give it a shot and see how it goes - specially since I know that my essays and recos are pretty solid and impressive. Does that make sense?

When you say the first three schools would be challenging, do you mean I have next to no chance there with a 640?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's not "no chance", but it is a smaller chance than it would be otherwise... Only looking at GMAT for Duke for example, they only took about 10% of their students in the GMAT range of 650 or lower, so you do need to take that into consideration when applying... But as you see, there still is some chance.

I guess you can apply now for the schools you like most, and then worst comes to worst, you would have another opportunity to retake the GMAT and reapply if things don't pan out as you hope, and if they do, all th better!
Moderator:
Admissionado
9221 posts