Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Rank and School Selection [#permalink]
Kudos
When all else is equal then take the money and run. However, in my opinion there are gaps between some schools that money cannot bridge. In those cases go to the best school you can get into.

I got into 3 schools that I held equal to one another then let money play a role in the decision. Don't regret it for a second.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
You certainly make some great points. I can think of some examples where it might make sense to take the money and run.

1) You want to go into a very niche industry.
You gave a great example (Yale and the non-profit industry). Here's another example: Anderson and the film industry. I, for one, would take a full ride at Anderson over no money at Kellogg or Haas!

2) You want to do entrepreneurship or work at a start-up.
Maybe it's just my risk-averse nature, but loan debt is a very real deterrent to pursuing entrepreneurship or the start-up scene. Again, I'd probably take a full ride at Booth over HBS if I was dead-set on starting my own company after school.

3) You target firms treat schools in the top X (e.g., M7, top 25) as equivalent.
This may be hearsay, but I've heard general management positions and LDPs are very attainable from almost any top school. Here, it might make sense to take a full-ride scholarship from Darden over no money at Booth.

That said, there are many, many reasons why it makes complete sense to matriculate at the business school (and to some degree, the broader institution) that is more well-regarded. From where I sit, you did a great job articulating why someone would/should choose a higher ranked school: they are unsure (or ambivalent) about what they want to do, they want to go into a field where "prestige" is very important (PE/MBB/IB), or they are simply willing to pay a premium to hedge against future indecision or economic downturns.

Yes, these are all great additions to the lists!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
OptimisticApplicant wrote:

Instances When Rank Does Not Matter
- The quality of educational content is largely the same across schools. All MBA programs teach the same basic principles and methods independent of their rank.

I agree that the content is the same, but above you mentioned higher ranked schools attract better professors and students. I think those two groups of people greatly influence the quality of the education, which makes ranking matter.

Yes, accounting is accounting, finance is finance, but the learning that happens from peers with accomplished careers is what sets the top schools apart from the pack, especially when discussing cases.

Glad you pointed this out! The reason you list above is exactly why I worded that point so carefully, using "educational content" as opposed to simply "education." Completely agree that best in class professors and peers will broaden the context.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
cheetarah1980 wrote:
When all else is equal then take the money and run. However, in my opinion there are gaps between some schools that money cannot bridge. In those cases go to the best school you can get into.

I got into 3 schools that I held equal to one another then let money play a role in the decision. Don't regret it for a second.

I think that most people would agree with this concept. However, I also believe that the "gaps between some schools that money cannot bridge" are too narrow for a lot of people. E.g., I have a feeling that some folks in your situation would have chosen Wharton over Booth + more scholarship money. Here's a more dramatic example: ross-no-money-vs-kelley-for-marketing-149126.html

This person wants to go into brand management. In my opinion, the difference in value between Kelley and Ross for this person is NOT worth ~$80-100K in today's dollars...not even close...

One final point, I think the "gap" significantly widens as you move down the rankings. E.g., the gap between HBS and NYU Stern (10 ranking spots) is worth a lot more than the gap between Washington U. Olin and Rice U. Jones (also 10 spots)
GMAT Club Bot