Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:48 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: 2013 Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Accepted to UT! :-D Now for deciding where I'll end up in the Fall.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hey everyone - just curious, and I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but do individual schools (such as UT Austin, SMU, BC, etc.) give out need-based grants? I know the gov. does not give out to grad students...

Personally, I'm just having a really hard time deciding where to go because the thought of taking out 60-70k in loans (on top of undergrad) is absolutely terrifying me.

Or if anyone has any tips on other things to do to cut down on tuition, that would be very helpful! :-/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
actressinpink wrote:
Hey everyone - just curious, and I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but do individual schools (such as UT Austin, SMU, BC, etc.) give out need-based grants? I know the gov. does not give out to grad students...

Personally, I'm just having a really hard time deciding where to go because the thought of taking out 60-70k in loans (on top of undergrad) is absolutely terrifying me.

Or if anyone has any tips on other things to do to cut down on tuition, that would be very helpful! :-/

This reminds me of a cost accounting problem. You should consider that living expenses will need to be paid regardless of which school you attend (sunk cost). However, you should still consider the cost of living for each school (Austin is not bad). I know that UT and SMU do not have need based aid; it is all merit based. However, I am curious about your offers at SMU and UT. If you don't mind, please PM me. You should also consider that SMU does not have the option to work as a graduate assistant during the program, but UT does. In fact, if you are able to secure a good assistantship at UT, you may be eligible for in-state tuition (save $20k). In addition, you will get a steady paycheck and receive a tuition payment each semester.

You should also consider the post-graduation opportunities that you will have. UT will give you several options outside of public accounting. I can give you at least 3 examples from actual students that I knew. One went to work for Intel in corporate accounting/finance. Another UT student went to work in oil and gas accounting. A third went to work for Merrill Lynch in New York.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 580 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
GPA: 3.33 (Accounting, Minor in Finance)
GMAT: 580

Denver: Master of Taxation - Accepted
Arizona: Master of Accounting (Tax Track) - Accepted
Arizona State: Master of Taxation - Accepted
Texas: Master in Professional Accounting - Denied
USC: Master of Business Taxation - Accepted

Originally posted by smiller91 on 12 Mar 2013, 22:52.
Last edited by smiller91 on 26 Mar 2013, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GPA: 3.5 (accounting)
GMAT: 690
Work ex (accounting) : 5 years
International student (India)

UIUC - MSA - Denied
OSU - Fisher - MAcc - Interview done in Feb - Awaiting Decision
TAMU - Mays - MSA - Awaiting decision by this month
Indiana - Kelley - MSA - Applied within deadline - No interview yet

Can anybody throw some light on when these universities send out decisions (accepted or denied) for international students? Are application of international students assessed separately? The waiting is driving my crazy.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Nrupesh wrote:
GPA: 3.5 (accounting)
GMAT: 690
Work ex (accounting) : 5 years
International student (India)

UIUC - MSA - Denied
OSU - Fisher - MAcc - Interview done in Feb - Awaiting Decision
TAMU - Mays - MSA - Awaiting decision by this month
Indiana - Kelley - MSA - Applied within deadline - No interview yet

Can anybody throw some light on when these universities send out decisions (accepted or denied) for international students? Are application of international students assessed separately? The waiting is driving my crazy.
Thanks

Got dinged in all four! Congrats to all those guys with acceptances and good luck to those who are awaiting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
has anyone applied to Ms in Accounting program offered by Texas A & M? I haven't heard back from them yet ...:(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
Send PM
Hello everyone.....I just need some solid advice and opinions. If you had the choose between getting a Masters of Accounting at

1) University of Viriginia (McIntyre School of Commerce)

OR

2) North Carolina State University (Poole College of Management)

Which would you choose? Which is more recognized/better reputation and would possibly carry more weight when it comes to jobs?

Originally posted by ThePrinceOfSunspear on 15 Apr 2013, 17:59.
Last edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear on 18 Apr 2013, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ThePrinceOfSunspear wrote:
Hello everyone.....I just need some solid advice and opinions. If you had the choose between getting a Masters of Accounting at

1) University of Viriginia (McIntyre School or Commerce)

OR

2) North Carolina State University (Poole College of Management)

Which would you choose? Which is more recognized/better reputation and would possibly carry more weight when it comes to jobs?

I would definitely choose UVA between those two. I consider UVA to be better recognized, and going to NC State will make it far more likely that you will only be recruited in the NC area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing, though.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
Send PM
I realize I'm late to the club, but am wondering what people think my chances are. I was able to get a permit from my UG school to allow me to graduate this summer, so I am applying to my MAcc programs really late. I hit pretty close to the deadline for most of them, and was actually passed deadline for one (but got permission from the school to apply anyway).

GPA: 3.59 (jr/sr level) / 3.30 (accounting)
GMAT: 660 (Q: 39, 48%; V: 41, 93%; AWA 6.0, 90%; IR 8, 92%) -- Obviously disappointed with my quant score and am worried about it. But that's what I get for how much prep I put in.
Other: 5 years unrelated work experience. No accounting internship (haven't taken a summer off, as I will graduate with my BS Accounting in under 3 years). Great Letters of Recommendation from accounting faculty. I am an international student from Canada.

I've applied to:

U Virginia
U Georgia
U Florida
Wake Forest

I expect to start hearing back pretty soon, but am wondering what you guys think my chances may be.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kaikkimustat wrote:
I realize I'm late to the club, but am wondering what people think my chances are. I was able to get a permit from my UG school to allow me to graduate this summer, so I am applying to my MAcc programs really late. I hit pretty close to the deadline for most of them, and was actually passed deadline for one (but got permission from the school to apply anyway).

GPA: 3.59 (jr/sr level) / 3.30 (accounting)
GMAT: 660 (Q: 39, 48%; V: 41, 93%; AWA 6.0, 90%; IR 8, 92%) -- Obviously disappointed with my quant score and am worried about it. But that's what I get for how much prep I put in.
Other: 5 years unrelated work experience. No accounting internship (haven't taken a summer off, as I will graduate with my BS Accounting in under 3 years). Great Letters of Recommendation from accounting faculty. I am an international student from Canada.

I've applied to:

U Virginia
U Georgia
U Florida
Wake Forest

I expect to start hearing back pretty soon, but am wondering what you guys think my chances may be.

I am not overly experienced in the admissions process, but I can tell you that I was accepted to Wake Forest for this Fall (25% scholarship). I got a 610 GMAT score, although I'm not sure at the moment what the breakdown was. I'm sure I did better on the verbal than quant, though. My overall GPA is 3.89, and my upper level GPA as well as my accounting GPA are right above 3.9. I am going to be going to UT Austin rather than Wake Forest, but I thought I'd throw my stats out there. Your GMAT is definitely more competitive than mine was, but I'm not sure where they are right now because it's later in the process.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-15-2014
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi Every one,

I am currently pursuing Masters in Commerce in India. I am planning to do MSA after my Masters. Its because the Undergraduate degree is a 3 year degree and it is a must for me to do either PG Diploma for 1 year or a Masters degree for 2 years to satisfy the eligibility criteria of 16 years of Education. I've heard that I would get 150 credits for CPA if I did Masters in Commerce. I want to appear for CPA exam in the first year of MS.I am expecting a GPA of 3.5 in Masters and I got 3.2 in my UG. I have a Question to ask:

How much score should I get in GMAT for securing an admission in a good University or any other university for that case?

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If anyone has heard back from Georgia, NC State, Virginia, or Alabama, I'd love to hear some stats.

I'm not taking the GMAT until December, so I need a goal to shot for! Good luck to everyone.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts