Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Great score! [#permalink]
Congrats for that fabulous score srb2k.... You surely are on ur way to a top B school with this performance and ur GPA. A few things mate which I wanted to ask about the verbal and the quant part. Does the difficultulty level of both sections simulate that of OG? I have been onto OG bsides GMAT plus , Princeton and Arco. And as bono asked how difficult was quant wrt OG? Your views would be og hr8 help. In the mean while enjpy the moment and party hard. You conquered it man!

cheers
neeraj
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Bono and Neeraj.
The difficulty level of the quant section was similar to that of the last few questions in OG. Once you have the fundamentals right, the questions are definitely solvable. I did run into a very basic perm/comb type question. The questions discussed in this forum are quite good and should suffice.
Watch out for the various tricks regarding +ve/-ve numbers and other number properties - factors, exponents, qoutient/remainder etc. The geometry problems were pretty simple - but you need to know the formula for area of different quadilaterals, circle etc.

The Verbal was very similar to OG. I think if you use OG for verbal, that is good enough. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go through the OG verbal more than once. Do the SC questions in OG twice and that should help a lot. The difficulty level of RC passages were very similar to that of OG. The CR choices were a little more vague than the OG, but not very different though. Overall, I think if you are comfortable with the material in OG, that should be good enough for verbal.
-R
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear srb2k,

First of all congrats on your brilliant score ..How was the verbal in partcular..Did you find big RC passages in this section or any other type of difficult question (2 bold face type in the CR , last in OG). My verbal is not very good and I definitely need improvement ..I am giving exam again next Wednesday ..how did you go about solving verbal ..I mean was it double checking first 10-15 answers and then increasing the speed or do it in single flow keeping accuracy in mind. In my last attempt , I think I lost the grip after 30th question when I got very big RC passage(100 lines) ..After that I was not very sure of whether the answers that I was marking were correct and that led to a poor score in Verbal.Did you have to guess on any q's in verbal?Would definitely appreciate your comments on this …
Cheers…
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Tyagas,
The verbal part was not very different from the OG - I had 4 RCs in all - one was 90 lines long, two about 50 lines and one around 40 lines. I am not a native speaker of English. So, I wasn't quite sure how I would do in the test - but atleast from my experience, I think using the OG is the BEST way to prepare for this section. At least all the questions I faced were very much inline with the ones in OG - I had about 3 to 4 SCs to start with - they were quite simple - just testing the basic stuff - misplaced modifiers, wrong subject/verb agreement, misused pronouns etc...
There was on bold face CR, similar to the one in OG. As I said, I started off slow - double checking my answers even if I was sure about the answer. But then I ended up rushing through the later half. Though I didn't have to guess, I think it is a good idea to maintain a good pace even in the beginning. The difficulty level seemed to remain pretty much the same over the course of the test, for me.
Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Verbal Strategy for Non-Native Speaker [#permalink]
Congratulations SR2BK, a 41 V for a non-native speaker is very good. In your first post you mentioned that Kaplan verbal is tough and not very representative of the real test. Would you say that the toughness of the kaplan verbal questions helped you think harder and score well in verbal?
Also, how was your timing thru the verbal part? I normally reach question 20 with 20 minutes left in the clock and eventually have to guess a lot of questions at the end. Do you have any strategy for timing in verbal? Thank you,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Yoda,
I don't think the Kaplan verbal questions helped me much in my preparation. Specifically I don't think doing the Kaplan RCs and CR questions helped me much. Infact, most of the time, the passages were so complicated that I was having trouble comprehending the ideas. The CRs choices were usually very vague and most of the time, I felt that the reasons they provided for choosing one answer over another were lame...

One thing that I used in my preparation for RCs and CRs are the official LSAT questions - They are a little more complicated than the ones in GMAT, but they helped me in improving my speed.

Regarding the timing strategy, I always tried to maintain the same pace throughout the test - I tried to avoid spending more time on the first few questions. But in the actual exam, I ended up spending more time on the first few questions because I was re-reading the answer choices and double checking my answer etc. But I guess the key is that if you find that you have less time half-way through the test, don't panic, simply pick-up your pace. Most of the time, one answer will stand out as the right one. If you are very short on time, simply trust your instinct and pick the one that you feel is right and move along. It is better to do that than to end up randomly guessing on several questions. Again, this is just my 2cents. Not everyone may agree with this strategy.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts