Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 18:24 It is currently 10 May 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile assessment - PT MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mrwise wrote:
Here's my profile:

* Indian national working in the US for a global telecom MNC, in an engineering role. Total work experience ~7 years.
* My work is pretty much core engineering, with a large dose of project management, since we're supposed to be able to manage projects from start to finish with minimal supervision. We are however assisted by project managers from time to time. Career progression has been stalled for a while due to the economic slowdown and hard times in telecom generally, and my current company has had a promotion freeze for about 3 years now.
* GMAT- 680, Q47, V37, AWA 6, no IR since it was taken in 2010
* Undergrad GPA- approx 3.6-3.7, engineering degree from India
* Grad GPA- 3.3, M.S in Electrical engg in the US
* Extra-curricular activities- Been tutoring immigrants and middle/high school kids with English and Math since the beginning of this year in a local community center. I did the same in 2010 as well, had to stop due to work and relocation. Am also involved with a NGO working on environmental awareness among schoolkids in India, although my involvement is minimal. Have also volunteered with soup kitchens for the homeless occasionally.
* About my MBA- I am focused on a part-time MBA, since my employer will hopefully pay a small portion of my tuition, and I want to keep working while I study. My target schools are Georgetown, Tepper, Stern and UMCP Smith school of Business.

All that being said, what are my chances of admission for 2014 at the schools I mentioned? I am unsure as to whether to retake the GMAT, since I've been told that essays and recommendations will probably do more for my admission chances than GMAT scores. Am just concerned my score may not be enough. Will taking online courses in accounting/finance add anything to my profile and my admission chances? Is there anything else I can do to beef up my profile?

I appreciate any and all opinions, please don't hold anything back :) Thank you!

Your GMAT is fine for these part-time programs. I don't recommend a retake. Langone is the hardest one on your list to get into. Your grad GPA may be an issue, especially there.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I know Langone is the highest ranked on my list, and was one of the main reasons I was considering retaking my GMAT. I'm surprised to hear that my grad GPA may be an issue, since I always thought adcoms focused more on undergrad GPAs. Well can't do much now about my grad GPA :-/ Will focus on the rest of my app and see what happens I guess. Thanks for the reply Linda.
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrwise wrote:
Hi Linda, thank you for your reply. I don't think I'll even be able to get the same score again without significant effort if I retake my GMAT now, so I will take your advice and focus on the rest of my application. Appreciate the help.

You're welcome, and good luck!
GMAT Club Bot