Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
LBSx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kartikdatwani wrote:
Hi

I had appeared for the GMAT on 11.02.2013. I've scored less than what I was aiming for. My score is - 680, AWA - 6, IR - 7. I was scoring pretty awesomely on my practice tests (from 720 to 750) everytime so I had prepared my list of 5 schools according to those scores. One of the schools was LBS.

Now after a month or so I've received an email from LBS, saying essentially this -
"I am sure you would agree that the GMAT test is one of the more challenging parts of the application process, so your good score is certainly a step towards a successful application!"

My query is - I am really excited to see that LBS considers my score "good". But then I think to myself that maybe LBS is calling it a good score because it's above average according to GMAC. Or is it possible that it's good enough for LBS according to their standards. I know that the average GMAT score for LBS is way more than 680. But then averages are just averages.

Please tell me what to make of the statement in the email from LBS.

My profile - Mech. Engg. from NIT Jalandhar, India. Graduated 2nd in my class with an internship in Germany sponsored by DAAD. Have a couple more international achievements - Invitation by NASA to visit their research facility after winning a competition on global level and won a competition by AIAA at the Asian Level. I have played basketball at the national level in India. Pretty decent social work. Rest is the usual - Organizing committees in university fests, compering various stage shows etc.
The main deterrent in my profile - I will have a work ex only of 2 years by the end of July, 2013. Coupled with my "less than expected" GMAT score.

Please tell me whether there is any hope in applying to LBS.

Hi kartikdatwani, I'd say there is certainly hope for applying given the e-mail you received, and your extracurricular activities can either make or break an application with a 680 (very good score, but less than LBS average, as you mentioned). If you only have two years work experience, it certainly sounds like you're pretty young and could reapply again next year. Even with the same 680 score, you'll have more more experience and presumably more activities than this year.

So, there's obviously no guarantee of getting in to LBS with your current profile, but I'd say it's worth a shot. Worst case, it doesn't pan out and you reapply next year. If you're dead set on getting in somewhere this year, then you can apply to a couple of schools.

Best of luck on your applications! Please let us know how things work out if you can.

Thanks!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi

Thanks CobraKai and VeritasPrepRon.

CobraKai - I was infact crushing practice tests. On the test day I believe I ran out of luck. I am one of those who didn't have a purely pleasant test day experience. Anyways I learned a lot from that experience and can now move on and prepare again, even harder this time. I do have time on my hand so I will most probably appear again for the GMAT. Though not fully decided on this.

VeritasPrepRon - Thanks for encouraging me and reaffirming my strategy of "what's the harm in applying". I do agree that my work experience is very less than the average at LBS. I think the work experience criterion gains importance when the admissions committee wants to see the variety of life experiences an applicant has had or his/her emotional and professional maturity. Is it so? Or is it because of some other reasons which I cannot fathom?

I will certainly let the forum know how things work out. Please let me know what extra I can do ( besides improving my GMAT score) in order to stand out in the competitive environment that is the LBS.

Also, I am considering applying to ISB too. Is my profile good enough for ISB?

Thanks again for the replies. :) :). Deeply grateful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
The good news: It's comfortably in the mid 80% range of 650-750.
The bad news: It's 30 points below the median of 710.

https://poetsandquants.com/school-profile/london-business-school/

IMO, I think the email is the marketing arm of LBS encouraging you/thanking you for applying. Have you applied? If not, and if you were crushing practice exams and have time to take it again, it wouldn't hurt. Obviously LBS admits people with a 680, but if you get a ding/WL with a 680 - you can only wonder if a higher score could have helped.

Hi CobraKai

I just want to let you know that I took your advise and appeared for the GMAT again. This time I scored a 730 (Q50 V40) [Awaiting IR and AWA scores]. I am now pretty sure that my GMAT score is pretty decent. I just want to know now whether applying to LBS this year makes sense, given my profile, which I've mentioned in the 1st post on this Topic.

P.S. - Congrats for making it to Johnson. :) .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
kartikdatwani wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

IMO, I think the email is the marketing arm of LBS encouraging you/thanking you for applying. Have you applied? If not, and if you were crushing practice exams and have time to take it again, it wouldn't hurt. Obviously LBS admits people with a 680, but if you get a ding/WL with a 680 - you can only wonder if a higher score could have helped.

Hi CobraKai

I just want to let you know that I took your advise and appeared for the GMAT again. This time I scored a 730 (Q50 V40) [Awaiting IR and AWA scores]. I am now pretty sure that my GMAT score is pretty decent. I just want to know now whether applying to LBS this year makes sense, given my profile, which I've mentioned in the 1st post on this Topic.

Thanks! Congrats on your score! I'm not sure how much work experience LBS likes, but you can be sure that no one has ever gotten dinged because of a 730 GMAT. I'd say go for it if it's what you want!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
kartikdatwani wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

Hi CobraKai

Thanks! Congrats on your score! I'm not sure how much work experience LBS likes, but you can be sure that no one has ever gotten dinged because of a 730 GMAT. I'd say go for it if it's what you want!

Thanks a lot CobraKai.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts