Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:26 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Idiom (strange construction) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ric123 wrote:
The full sentence is this one:

"That was a long section on a lot of tiny words! However, recognizing and checking pronouns is one of
the best skills you can develop for gaining points on GMAT Sentence Correction. Pronoun errors are
extremely common on the exam, and the first step to recognizing those errors is spotting the pronouns."

Is comes from "Foundations of GMAT Verbal, Fifth Edition", chapter 2, page 36. You will find it at the page's bottom: "Pronouns Wrap-Up".

I was trying to understand the structure of any sentence, while reading, just to check whether I understood the topic, then I found this "to recognizing [...]". Is it a noun modifier modifying "step" (preposition after noun, such as "The cat ON THE COUCH took a nap)?

The word "to" can act as a preposition or a part of an infinitive. In this case, "to" is acting as a preposition after the word "step" (to form a noun modifier after step). Gerunds follow prepositions, so saying "the first step to recognizing those errors" is correct grammatically. From a preference standpoint, I would probably use the preposition "in" rather than "to" but that's a preference, not a rule.

KW
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Kyle, now it is clear; I just wanted to be sure about the prepositional phrase.

KyleWiddison wrote:
Ric123 wrote:
The full sentence is this one:

"That was a long section on a lot of tiny words! However, recognizing and checking pronouns is one of
the best skills you can develop for gaining points on GMAT Sentence Correction. Pronoun errors are
extremely common on the exam, and the first step to recognizing those errors is spotting the pronouns."

Is comes from "Foundations of GMAT Verbal, Fifth Edition", chapter 2, page 36. You will find it at the page's bottom: "Pronouns Wrap-Up".

I was trying to understand the structure of any sentence, while reading, just to check whether I understood the topic, then I found this "to recognizing [...]". Is it a noun modifier modifying "step" (preposition after noun, such as "The cat ON THE COUCH took a nap)?

The word "to" can act as a preposition or a part of an infinitive. In this case, "to" is acting as a preposition after the word "step" (to form a noun modifier after step). Gerunds follow prepositions, so saying "the first step to recognizing those errors" is correct grammatically. From a preference standpoint, I would probably use the preposition "in" rather than "to" but that's a preference, not a rule.

KW
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts