Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:41 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619770 [1]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: 32nd Percentile on GMAT Quant- need urgent advice! [#permalink]
gmat1992 wrote:
So I recently completed my first GMAT Prep practice test. Did well on Verbal (96th percentile) but atrocious on Quant, which was shocking as I didn't think I was that terrible at math. I completely ran out of time and left 10 questions blank, as well as got 11 wrong on the 27 questions I did attempt... Can anyone suggest a good source to take CAT Quant tests? I've been doing a LOT of paper practice questions, but clearly they're not very effective.

Hi gmat1992,

As you go through the many practice questions - compare your approach with ours as shown in the video solutions to OG13 here: https://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide- ... p?id=ogps1

You can do lots and lots of practice questions - but still get nowhere if you're not learning from your mistake or seeing how other people might do that same question in a different/more effective manner. So open your eyes to the possibility of how you can improve so you don't run out of time and can better spot the answer within a short amount of time.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
@gmat1992

The low score is mostly because of the severe penalty for not completing the test. For example, if you had just randomly selected answers to the last 10 questions, your score in the quant would have been 50th percentile(my best guess). Pacing is really important on the GMAT, and it is important to have a good gauge of one's ability when it comes to tackling the harder questions. Often, it is best to let go the harder questions. This is more of an issue for students scoring close to the average score, as you raise your level there is less room to let go the harder questions.

I wouldn't worry too much about the low quant score in your first diagnostic test. This is fairly common and is partly because most students are not used to the adaptive nature of the test, and on top of that the average difficulty of the questions is GMATPrep is fairly high and it is easy to get sucked in to the hard questions. For example, you can miss six questions in the quant(in GMATPrep only) and still get a Q51.

For now, I would recommend you to work on foundations and make sure you are very comfortable with the subject matter. Certainly use the Official Guide questions to get a hang of the GMAT style and common traps. You will make a lot of mistakes and this is a normal process for most students. At the same time, also start doing timed practice to add the element of pressure and get in the habit of getting to the end of the test, even if it means letting go a few questions here and there. For this I recommend using the GMATPrep Question Pack 1, and create mock tests. You can see this link where I describe how to do this: https://www.gmatquantum.com/faq/gmatprep ... -of-t.html

And reserve the adaptive tests in GMATPrep and GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 for later once you have gone through this initial process.

Cheers,
Dabral
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat1992 wrote:
So I recently completed my first GMAT Prep practice test. Did well on Verbal (96th percentile) but atrocious on Quant, which was shocking as I didn't think I was that terrible at math. I completely ran out of time and left 10 questions blank, as well as got 11 wrong on the 27 questions I did attempt... Can anyone suggest a good source to take CAT Quant tests? I've been doing a LOT of paper practice questions, but clearly they're not very effective.

Actually it isn't much about paper vs CAT. Certainly there are things that make CAT tougher such as its adaptability to your level, reading questions on the screen but solving on paper etc but at the end of the day, if you know your stuff, it doesn't matter what question they give you and in what format. Its advisable to practice CATs (to check out our free CAT, go to https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/free-g ... tice-test/. We also provide 5 practice tests at a nominal charge of $49) to get used to the different format but before you delve into that, you need to understand why you got 11 questions wrong. Were they conceptual errors or careless mistakes? Did you use circuitous solutions with a lot of calculations? Did you not read the questions properly? The point is before you worry about how to practice, worry about why you need practice. What is it that is lacking in your preparation.
By the way, great job on the Verbal section!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts