Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:48 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [10]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: 740 GMAT - My Retake Battle [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing your story. And congrats on the impressive score. I also appreciated your thoughts on the Economist GMAT Tutor course.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

Congrats on getting a wonderful score.

Please share your test center feedback. Did you take your test in Bangalore?

Regards,
Paresh
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Congrats and your test day experience was quite detailed and impressive.I don't remember anything except the scores from my last test,it's all a blur. I am also an Indian male(not IT) ;) looking at my second attempt soon. I am glad that I read your debrief. Cheers and good luck with the application.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Congrats)) Was sc questions the same with gmatprep? I mean I think gmatprep has a lot of idiomatic questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
siddharthsid007 wrote:
Hi Kartik,

Thanks for the wishes !

To my understanding and experience, none of the Prep tests available can predict your actual score very accurately. On the real test, there are upto 8 or 9 questions in each section that do not contribute to your actual score, this scoring pattern is not recreated in any prep test (including GMATPrep). Also the scoring algorithm of many prep tests may not have the latest percentile inputs. For eg. I remember seeing a forum member with a 750 with the exact same Q-V breakdown as me. Basically the percentiles on the real test keep getting updated while the prep tests, including the GMATPrep tests are not updated as frequently. So I'd warrant a guess and say that the performance for which you get a particular score is being constantly altered by GMAC.

I also have a strong feeling that the first 15 questions determine the specific range within which you will finally score. I would also rate the actual test to be slightly harder than GMATPrep tests, I got some very interesting questions with false logic answers which I was only able to do because of experience. I was able to confidently predict my Quant score between 50-51 because I had reached a point where I could see patterns & repeated answering logics and was consistently getting the same score everywhere. The same, however, was not true for my Verbal score, it was erratic, and jumped all over the place on different tests. Though in real life I would say they are both equally strong.

Anyways, according to all the expert comments I have seen, your real GMAT score can go +/- 30 from your real talent. So, for eg. I might have gottena 750 or a 760 if I had gotten maybe an experimental question wrong instead of a counted one. Luck also plays a factor ;)

I would note that the veritas tests I took were at my home, and no matter how close to test conditions I tried to get, there is a definite comfort factor when you are in familiar surroundings, this is absent on the real thing. And, as you mentioned, test day pressure also plays a role.

Everything being said, I would rate Veritas Prep tests very highly and I went over each test multiple times during review. THe Quant is approx. GMAT level, if very slightly lacking in 700+ level questions (I saw some very easy Q questions on veritas prep towards the end many times ! ). The Verbal is the real gem with a number of great questions, it does have its faults though, some of the passages and CR questions are NOTHING like the real thing, SC shines through. I have a feeling that the scoring algorithm is also not that updated since a V51 is highly unlikely to appear ever. Use it for the material :)

So, it is somewhat harder that GMATPrep but I'd highly recommend doing them both.

Congrats for the score and wish you luck for your apps. From what you have mentioned here I agree with most of them except this "On the real test, there are upto 8 or 9 questions in each section that do not contribute to your actual score, this scoring pattern is not recreated in any prep test (including GMATPrep)" . I think that's a pretty big number for number of anchor questions. To the best of my knowledge it is 4/section and they don't really contribute to your score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No I tested in Mumbai both times. Staff and facilities there are top notch. No idea how the other centers are.

pareshcs wrote:
Hi,

Congrats on getting a wonderful score.

Please share your test center feedback. Did you take your test in Bangalore?

Regards,
Paresh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's why I said "Upto" in my post earlier ;) My view was based on conversations with several MBA grads and industry professionals. No matter the exact count, the idea is to try and get everything right. :)

mshrek wrote:
siddharthsid007 wrote:
Hi Kartik,

Thanks for the wishes !

To my understanding and experience, none of the Prep tests available can predict your actual score very accurately. On the real test, there are upto 8 or 9 questions in each section that do not contribute to your actual score, this scoring pattern is not recreated in any prep test (including GMATPrep). Also the scoring algorithm of many prep tests may not have the latest percentile inputs. For eg. I remember seeing a forum member with a 750 with the exact same Q-V breakdown as me. Basically the percentiles on the real test keep getting updated while the prep tests, including the GMATPrep tests are not updated as frequently. So I'd warrant a guess and say that the performance for which you get a particular score is being constantly altered by GMAC.

I also have a strong feeling that the first 15 questions determine the specific range within which you will finally score. I would also rate the actual test to be slightly harder than GMATPrep tests, I got some very interesting questions with false logic answers which I was only able to do because of experience. I was able to confidently predict my Quant score between 50-51 because I had reached a point where I could see patterns & repeated answering logics and was consistently getting the same score everywhere. The same, however, was not true for my Verbal score, it was erratic, and jumped all over the place on different tests. Though in real life I would say they are both equally strong.

Anyways, according to all the expert comments I have seen, your real GMAT score can go +/- 30 from your real talent. So, for eg. I might have gottena 750 or a 760 if I had gotten maybe an experimental question wrong instead of a counted one. Luck also plays a factor ;)

I would note that the veritas tests I took were at my home, and no matter how close to test conditions I tried to get, there is a definite comfort factor when you are in familiar surroundings, this is absent on the real thing. And, as you mentioned, test day pressure also plays a role.

Everything being said, I would rate Veritas Prep tests very highly and I went over each test multiple times during review. THe Quant is approx. GMAT level, if very slightly lacking in 700+ level questions (I saw some very easy Q questions on veritas prep towards the end many times ! ). The Verbal is the real gem with a number of great questions, it does have its faults though, some of the passages and CR questions are NOTHING like the real thing, SC shines through. I have a feeling that the scoring algorithm is also not that updated since a V51 is highly unlikely to appear ever. Use it for the material :)

So, it is somewhat harder that GMATPrep but I'd highly recommend doing them both.

Congrats for the score and wish you luck for your apps. From what you have mentioned here I agree with most of them except this "On the real test, there are upto 8 or 9 questions in each section that do not contribute to your actual score, this scoring pattern is not recreated in any prep test (including GMATPrep)" . I think that's a pretty big number for number of anchor questions. To the best of my knowledge it is 4/section and they don't really contribute to your score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Very articulate. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts