Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1900 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
Re: In 1992, only 12 percent of the women between 18 and 24 [#permalink]
I am not sure.

Conclusion says "conclusion that the proportion of women among people" -
'among people' includes both men and women of all age groups.
The percentage figures given are 'of women' and that too only of a particular age group.

Am I missing something? :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
C..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [0]
Send PM
gsr wrote:
I am not sure.

Conclusion says "conclusion that the proportion of women among people" -
'among people' includes both men and women of all age groups.
The percentage figures given are 'of women' and that too only of a particular age group.

Am I missing something? :?

i guess that is why D makes sense ?

It bridged the gap between 'women' and 'women between 18 and 24'.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Another very tricky 40+ level CR.

OE:

Explanation:
ID Question Type and Task
The task in an evaluate questions is to find the assumptions in order to either weaken or strengthen one of them.

Read the Argument and Extract Necessary Information:
The argument points to the change in percent as proof that a greater proportion of women are adhering to a low-carb diet . Ths makes the assumption that the total number of women has not decreased and that the proportion of men has not decreased.

Formulate an Answer to the Question
To evaluate this argument it would help to have information about either the total women or the percent of men.

Eliminate Answer Choices:
(A) Unhelpful. This percentage is already know since there can only be women adhering to a low-carb diet or not. Thus telling you about one percent tells you about the other.

(B) Unhelpful. This does not confirm or disprove the statistics given. It does not support any assumptions.

(C) Keep. This choice addresses the assumptions we've identified in the choices. If we know the percentage of men has not gone down then it is valid that the proportion of women increased.

(D) Unhelpful. This choice much like (A) does not provide any information that is useful, this choice acutally would provide less useful information than does (A) since it gives information about all women not following the diet.

(E) Irrelevant. This choice does not contributed to understanding of the statistics provided about women who followed a low-carb diet.

(If you are still confused, compare this problem to OG10 #155)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Actually I don't like too much this questions because

1) I didnt find the answer (ok, forget this reason :lol: )

2) the problem is not clear. Even with C it doesn't mean anything :

The argument points to the change in percent as proof that a greater proportion of women are adhering to a low-carb diet : This points to the inevitable conclusion that the proportion of women among people adhering to a low-carb diet has increased over the past decade.

but with C you get :

The percentage of men between 18 and 24 years of age who followed a low-carb diet in 1992 and 2003

it said that this choice addresses the assumptions we've identified in the choices. If we know the percentage of men has not gone down then it is valid that the proportion of women increased.

First, it is wrong. If you take both percentage you can not find the percentage of women AMONG PEOPLE out of it. for example : 30% of men and 50% of women. We don't know the real values, how come you can get any idea. Maybe number are same but the population decrease, or maybe the number of women decrease so the % is up but it doesn't mean they represent less or more than before AMONG PEOPLE

Moreover, even if you know that both men and women, in %, who adher to low carb diet went UP, the trend may be in reality decreasing :
--- 1992-------2003
W 20/100 26/100
M 40/100 401/1000

20/200=10% of women among people
26/1100=2.6% of women among people

both rates were higher but it can't prove anything.

I understand that in CR you have to find the best answer among several, and that it doesn't mean this is the best possible answer at all, but I hope I will avoid this kind of problem because it is weird to answer something you know it is incorrect

But my Verbal is quite bad so maybe i am the only to react like this and maybe people here find the OA ok, if it's the case i will try to understand it more but please tell me if this answer is so logical

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
C is the best answer but not the correct answer, because the conclusion depends upon the number of men and women and not just on percentage.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts