Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 22:05 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 22:05
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
MAC Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
City/State: Chicago, IL
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Best schools for MBA in non-profit/social enterprise? [#permalink]
Thanks for the suggestions! I had considered all of the above, and after a fair amount of research and talking to alumni, ruled them out because I didn't think I'd 'fit' in. Kellogg is probably something I'd consider applying for as well, but thought I'd limit the schools.

Also, I'm planning to apply straight out of college, so don't some of the schools like Haas or Tuck usually ask for post graduate work experience?
Send PM
Hi Infinite Paradox,

I can understand your concern. I had the same concern about "fitting-in" when I was applying to certain b-schools, especially the top 5. Even after speaking with alumni and doing my own extensive research, I took it a step further and visited the schools. It was the best decision I made and I strongly recommend this if you want to truly determine your fit for certain schools. I assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised as every school has a distinct personality. Within the first hour you will know if this will be the business school that you can see yourself at. You will receive an unbiased perspective and a clear sense of the school's culture, student camaraderie, and faculty's approach. If you cannot visit the school, I would suggest that you attend an offsite information session. Until then, I encourage you to not self "opt-out" of any top programs or limit yourself. You can always reduce the number of schools you will apply to, but after you gain a first-hand experience with the various program members at such forums.

Without knowing much about your personal and academic background, it is difficult to say which schools you should apply to. They are all great programs for the concentrations you are interested in. However, I would suggest that you gain at least 2-3 years of professional experience and not apply directly out of undergraduate school. I have seen candidates be readily accepted to the programs I mentioned (including Tuck and Haas) when they have at least a few years of experience before applying.

Hope this helps. We wish you the best in your MBA journey.

Best wishes,
Sue

**Was our response helpful? Give us a Kudos and we will know**
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Best schools for MBA in non-profit/social enterprise? [#permalink]
Visiting the schools won't be possible unfortunately, but I'm looking to attend admission events for sure. I actually met Yale's Senior Associate Dean, Anjani Jain for a Yale organized informal dinner meet, and it was a great experience.

As for the work experience part, I don't have full time post graduate experience, but I have been working in the non profit sector since 3 years, as well as own a startup company, among other things.
Send PM
Best schools for MBA in non-profit/social enterprise? [#permalink]
Hi Infinite Paradox,

Excellent - this does make your candidacy attractive to AdComms in that you have solid industry experience, especially in your own start-up environment. When I work with candidates, I always share that 1 year in a start-up environment (pre-MBA) is equivalent to 3-4 years of experience in a large firm.

You definitely have a unique background and I believe that it will make you standout from your competition when applying to b-school.

We wish you the best in your MBA journey.

Please let us know if we could be of further help. We believe in assisting candidates with their applications but saving their finances for business school.

Best wishes,
Sue

**Was our response helpful? Give us a Kudos and we will know**
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1115 [0]
Given Kudos: 1761
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi InfiniteParadox,

Here are some schools which are relatively strong in non-profit:
HBS, Berkeley, Yale, Kellogg.

You can read more about it (and about other MBA Specializations) here: https://www.aringo.com/MBA_specializations.htm
GMAT Club Bot