Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:34 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
I think one of the best uses of these events is to ask about "human" factors that are not easy to find on the web. These events give you a chance to ask about people's experience and impressions- where would you suggest to live, what social clubs did you find most enjoyable, if you were to go X school again what would you do differently this time? These events are much more enjoyable if you ask "hard" questions (politely, of course) that require some thought from the panel, e.g. what is the weakest aspect of your school? What school would you consider to be the best alternative to your school?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [2]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Yes, Adcoms and school representatives generally have canned answers for pretty much every question. They get asked the same things over and over. I like to observe their reaction more than listen to them. For example, I'm interested in returning to the west coast after finishing business school, so I tried to ask questions in a way that made them think for a second. Instead of just asking "can I get a job in SF after graduating" you might ask something like "how active is the SF area alumni club, and do they often interatct with current students".

Most adcoms and shool reps want to be honest, but you just have to realize that they get the same questions all the time and naturally have a facade to deal with weaknesses. Every school wants you to believe that you'll have access to a plethora of jobs and that they have wonderful professors and a powerful alumni base. It's not true at every school.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot guys...also whats the dress code for events like these. Do you have to reach before it starts or its ok to be 10-15 mins late??
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
1) Business casual is a safe choice

2) They generally expect some late comers. One advantage of coming early is that it gives you more opportunity to speak with the reps/alumni(although you can also wait until the end for this).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Re: What to ask adcom/alumni at school admission events? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What to ask adcom/alumni at school admission events? [#permalink]