Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
:cool
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I love coffee (see my name) but I'd never drink it on test day. It stimulates the body - causing the "shakes" but all it does is make you dehydrate and need to use the washroom more frequently. After the initial rush, it will also decrease your concentration.

I'm not a morning person either; when I really need to be alert in the mornings, I eat a real breakfast and take a lukewarm shower to get going. If you exercise regularly then a nice jog or run before the test will also energize you.

Another thing that seems to oddly work: taking multivitamins daily for a couple of weeks before the test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you should continue the multivitamins... its always good to take them (not just for tests) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Christoph, Is the "cool" for the aderol or GSR's score? or both ? lol
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yb wrote:
Just curious, does Aderol work? A lot of people claim it does

apparently hundreds of thousands of people are on it (including ritalin) - and swear by its efficacy. but I not an advocate of taking the drug just to boost scores nor do I take the tom cruise position that all psychological drug therapies are bad.

it may cause you to become more nervous (depending on your physiological condition and mental condition) on the exam which is always a bad thing on exam day. since the drug is nothing but an amphetamine it makes you more anxious than anything else. nothing works better in terms of boosting your IQ than a good night's sleep. there have been studies that show a boost of at least 30 IQ points when a subject has had adequate sleep vs. having had inadequate sleep. of course adequate amount of sleep is relative for most people but the minimum is about 6 hours. :sleep
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hmmm... thanks for the tips... i didn't know adequate sleep was that important
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank You all for your great support! It's overwhelming! Without this forum, this score wouldn't have been possible.

Whatever I was doing over the past one month has become like a kind of addiction to me . I am back here now and I am sure I will stick around here for some more time to come (and probably try my hand on only the EASIER questions!! ;) )

Titleist - did you copy what I said above! leave that study drug, it was too late when you told me about that (on the exam eve). So, I couldn't try it!. Suggest me a new drug to recover from all this stress (over the past few weeks)! You have become like a kind of 'Consultant' physician here!!

Anyways, thanks again! I sure will be around to see and hear from you guys doing great in the exam!

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The coffee definitely kept me up while studying last night but I did get the "shakes". Doing math was a little difficult. I like the exercise idea. I usually work out in the evenings but can start up in the mornings to get going for the AM test. I'm all over multi-vitamins :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
ValleyBall1 wrote:
The coffee definitely kept me up while studying last night but I did get the "shakes". Doing math was a little difficult. I like the exercise idea. I usually work out in the evenings but can start up in the mornings to get going for the AM test. I'm all over multi-vitamins :-D

Forget the timing and all that stuff. Just keep thinking about the test, stay focussed and anytime should work fine!
Later you can contact the 'Consultant', if you need! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gsr wrote:
ValleyBall1 wrote:

Forget the timing and all that stuff. Just keep thinking about the test, stay focussed and anytime should work fine!
Later you can contact the 'Consultant', if you need! :wink:

GSR,

How many challenges did you do? And how did you do on them on average? I keep getting my arse whipped on those. :butt

Oh, forgot to mention that I changed my avatar in celebration of your entry into the 7xx club.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Titleist wrote:
GSR,

How many challenges did you do? And how did you do on them on average? I keep getting my arse whipped on those. :butt

Oh, forgot to mention that I changed my avatar in celebration of your entry into the 7xx club.

I mostly did only the challenges that you and the other guys posted here. I think on the real GMAT, though I found the Math problems little tougher and 'wordier' (than most SC's), the scoring seemed to be a little on the good side. Make sure you get those first few questions right. Apart from Kaplan, Powerprep and GMATprep I didn't take any other tests. Yes, I did take the princeton tests before my first attempt but they are totally worthless. The software sucks, and after the first test you get all the same questions again! You can spend your time usefully elsewhere...even maybe sleep or take rest.
I scored in the 45 range in kaplan and 49 range in PowerPrep and GMATprep, but I found them relatively easy. If it is the careless errors that are causing you problems, well I am sure you can manage that. Because, you will me more serious during the real test and with focus you can cut that down drastically!
The difficulty level is almost the same as the medium-tough problems that we see here but just questions were convoluted and little more wordier! Your Manhattan GMAT should help if such is the case, right!?
One main thing - "Do not lose your mind thinking you are messing up the Math section! I made this mistake both the times and ended up with the same score - 47 which wasn't really as bad as I thought it was going to be! Just don't let that affect your performance on Verbal!" If it helps you to do well in the second section if you knew you did bad in the first, then go ahead and think that way!! :wink: For me, during the second time it did (but still it is risky - i had 50% success rate with that kind of thinking)

On the lighter side, I was loking for your old 'avtar' so that I can take, but couldn't find it anywhere. Pls help me - I need it badly. I cannot sleep without seeing that face atleast once a day! :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the great advice! Although the challenges I think can be quite tough and wordy at times (just finished challenges 1-5!). Got 95% on the last one though! :relief:

Anyhow, you can find my old avatar in the Upload bank. You can copy his image for prosterity! :P
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey gsr congratulations! From your posts in the forum it's not susprising at all that you have this great score. (I was a little surprised that you had 640 once though heh.)

Good job! And please stay around if you have time. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
Congrats GSR!!!!!!!!! :woohoo :woohoo :woohoo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GSR,

That is a great score. Can you shed some color on the difficulty of test as compared with the OG?

Regards,
Rigger
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rigger wrote:
GSR,

That is a great score. Can you shed some color on the difficulty of test as compared with the OG?

Regards,
Rigger

Sure. Time management is the key. When you get stuck on the clock, even easier questions seem tough. I believe that's what happenned to me on the Math section of the test.

Compared with the OG, I would say Math was a little tougher in that the questions were longer, 'wordier' and a bit more convoluted that I expected them to be. Having said that, if you are doing great on the clock, it shouldn't be much of a problem. All the questions were on the real test were like the 'medium-and-tough' questions in the OG. This is true for both my experiences with the real one. The key is to get more practice and try to spend no more than what is required. By virtue of the questions alone (taking out the time factor), difficulty level is perfectly acceptable - neither too tough nor too easy.

On the verbal, I was doing good on the clock and hence it seemed relatively easy. Here again, live by the OG.
SC - Expect a larger part of the sentence underlined. But that's an advantage. More underlined, more easy to eliminate few answer choices.
CR - Expect atleast 2 BF questions.
RC - If you get the 1st 2 questions right, expect back to back RC's. That's what happenned to me on both the tests.

Well, other than that - Stay cool and Good luck!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3463 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
HI GSR,

Congrats buddy :woohoo :wave
Good job. I have seen you answering every questions in the forum. I bet that gave you a very good practice. Your score will inspire all of us.
take care.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts