Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 12:45 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 12:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 629 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink]
Try Aristotle Prep. It works very well with MGMAT SC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
VerbalHow wrote:
Hi! I am struggeling with sentence correction and came across this book "Sentence correction nirvana". Does anyone have any feedback/input on the book?

Yes, I do have sc nirvana, and and found it to be phenomenally usefully. In fact, I just chanced upon this book, since my roommate was a student at their coaching.

The book is "dense" initially, since it covers grammar in the initial few pages. I had to read this section twice, but after that, the "buzzwords" like phrases, clauses, independent, dependent clause, participles etc. were no longer buzzwords for me:).

What I liked most about it was the enormous diagrams and pictures given in the book and the way concepts are backed up by numerous examples. My favorite (perhaps because I was weakest in this) was parallelism, since the entire approach on XYZ analysis brought method to my madness of looking at parallelism questions.

Now (after many months since I started preparing actually), I am much more comfortable with SC, than I was earlier. Earlier, I had also tried out many popular books, and I was going nowhere with those, though I understand that every person is different.

By the way, I actually didn't know that this book was commercially available. If there is anything specific you want to know about the book, send me a PM.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
VerbalHow wrote:
Hi! I am struggeling with sentence correction and came across this book "Sentence correction nirvana". Does anyone have any feedback/input on the book?

VerbalHow, indeed I was in the same boat ...SC Nirvana is a very good book....for example, modifiers and their apparent thousands of flavors were just totally out of my grip for a long time, before I landed on this book.

Indeed, the way each concept is followed by official examples, and the elaborate pictures make SC look much more manageable to me now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink]
Hey Guys,

If there is one thing I have learnt during the GMAT preparation is that one need to organize his/her study plan well, especially for verbal. SC Nirvana is a book well organized by the specific topic tested at GMAT. I strongly recommend this book to build solid SC fundamentals. Using SC Nirvana with OGMAT will definitely help you acing the concept tested in GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A splendid book on sentence correction which will definitely help in improving the concepts of candidates.Help in increasing the verbal score.Recommended for SC.
On a scale of 10 would rate as 9
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3824 [0]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
This is for sure a good book to completely bank your Sentence Correction preparation on.

This book has a complete section for Basic level grammar (and will benefit whether you're a starter or are at an advanced level, but feel that the basics are missing).

This books explains all the important topics using flow charts & diagrams. This really helped to understand things faster and easier.

Parallelism, Comparison, Tense are particularly explained very well.

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who is struggling to excel in SC :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi! Thought I would update on my progress and thanks for recommending SC Nirvana. Just got done with GMAT and scored 720: Q51 V38. Have written by debrief https://gmatclub.com/forum/experience-during-my-journey-of-720-q51-v38-194620.html.

Frankly when I bought this book, it was largely a "leap of faith" for me, and was primarily because I had tried few other books, but nothing was working out; positive reviews about the book, on this thread definitely were some inspiration. My last few months (when my preparation really gathered momentum) have been about thoroughly "consuming" the contents of this book; have read the book twice (and few chapters such as tenses and parallelism thrice:)) and felt quite confident about my SC skills.

The numerous references in this book, correlating each concept with the actual questions on GMAT, helped me understand the "linkage" between grammar and its application to solve the actual questions. As I have mentioned in my debrief as well while my final verbal score of 38 might not be a dream score for most, but it did look impossible from where I started!

I would try to be active on this forum for few more days, before I "move on":).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
VerbalHow wrote:
Frankly when I bought this book, it was largely a "leap of faith" for me, and was primarily because I had tried few other books, but nothing was working out

Actually I just noticed few days back that this book now has a preview available here https://pothi.com/pothi/book/educationaisle-gmat-sentence-correction-nirvana.

In fact, first 45 pages have been made available by EducationAisle for preview. So, I don't think it will be a "leap of faith" anymore:).

Congrats on your score. I have my exam scheduled in approximately next 1 month. Hope to write a debrief as well...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
I would not read whatever book I find for sentence correction. Use only tested ones.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi! Gave my GMAT today and scored 750 (Q50, V42). I thought this would be the most logical place for me to post experience of my GMAT journey. The reason being that a major part of my GMAT preparation journey has been about Verbal and in Verbal, more specifically about Sentence Correction; this journey could not have reached culmination without SC Nirvana.

It's been more than a year since I started flirting with the idea of appearing in GMAT. I am an Indian male and have twice appeared in CAT, scoring more than 95 percentile in Quant both times. English had always been a weaker area, and so, even before I started my preparation for GMAT, I knew that Verbal would be a challenge. However, I understood the "magnituide" of that challenge only after I got 7 questions in Sentence Correction correct, out of 30 odd questions that I first attempted from OG. Critical reasoning and reading comprehension were much better (though I did not attempt those under time constraint).

After that, it was pretty much all about Sentence Correction. As a non-native English speaker, I knew I had to work on fundamentals "grounds-up" and was ready to put in the effort. So, my initial few weeks went into looking out for grammar books, only ending in realization that I would never be able to complete the sheer content in those books. I also read an expert comment that reading a grammar book end to end was not the best strategy for GMAT, because GMAT SCs require understanding of only a "subset" of the grammar rules.

So, my strategy changed and I thought that perhaps directly accessing the available GMAT Sentence Correction sources, would work best. This also turned out to be frustrating after few months, because the available material either "assumed" that we were already aware of English fundamentals, or was just too basic to address Sentence Correction thoroughly.

Incidentally, my roommate had joined coaching at EducationAisle then, and through him, I got to know about "Sentence Correction Nirvana". Within few days of my initial read of first few pages of this book, my interest in the book picked up. What initially interested me was the treatment given by the book to the grammar fundamentals: crisp and concise. All the "buzzwords" used by most experts on the GC/BTG forum, such as phrases, clauses, Independent, dependent, run on, relative clauses etc. were wonderfully explained.

Thereafter, the book utilized those grammar fundamentals, to build concepts in each specific topic. What also helped was the numerous pictures; reading the book almost felt as if someone was "teaching"! The deconstruction method of parallelism, the "doer of the verb" methodology in subject verb and the "logical/grammatical bifurcation" in modifiers were so effective. Not that it was a cakewalk ultimately. I had to read the entire book twice; but the thing is that after seeing a marked improvement in my SC skills after reading the book once, I didn't have to "push" myself to read it the second time:). In fact, I read the comparisons and ellipsis chapter thrice, but thereafter, I just mechanically applied their "comparison operator decision tree" and never ever got any comparison and ellipsis question wrong!

Over the last few days, when I was giving mocks, I was consistently scoring 40+ on verbal and am relieved that my performance did not dip in the exam. It's almost a surreal feeling today, as I write this, because after my initial "experience" with sentence correction (7 out of 30 correct!) and my early frustration with the available material, I had almost given up.

Apart from this, I scored a 6 in IR and (obviously) have not received AWA score, though I am quite sure I will score decently, since my CR skills are quite ok.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
ayushman wrote:
I just noticed few days back that this book now has a preview available here https://pothi.com/pothi/book/educationaisle-gmat-sentence-correction-nirvana.

Hi Ayushman, congratulations on your score! My first attempt in GMAT ended in a very low score in Verbal (same is true for Quant also). So, I am looking at reappearing in GMAT now. I went through the book's preview and it looks very promising.

I had a question, however. I couldn't see any "practice questions" or "assignments" in the book. Can you confirm this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
gmatgrl wrote:
I had a question, however. I couldn't see any "practice questions" or "assignments" in the book. Can you confirm this?

Hi gmatgrl, let me take up your question.

The free preview that you might have seen, has the the "grammar portion" available for preview; hence you didn't notice practice questions. Once the "actual" lessons start (subject-verb agreement, pronouns etc.), each lesson is followed by quite decent number of questions.

However what really helped me was that once I registered with them after buying the book, they actually sent me a very comprehensive assignment (with questions as well as explanations) by mail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VerbalHow wrote:

I read a couple of reviews that they seemed encouraging.

p.s. I have already gone thru "more popular" books available, but unfortunately, couldn't get much benefit out of it. My Quant is good.

If the book you are referring to you is "GMAT Sentence Correction Nirvana" by Education Aisle then I really cannot recommend it highly enough!!!!!! It covers SC in a more thorough and concise fashion than most of the other materiel I have come across.

The fact is that English grammar can be a dead bore and the material from Princeton Review put me to sleep in minutes. But with, SC Nirvana made the experience far more palatable than I had ever expected. Within 237 pages, every aspect of grammar that can possibly be tested on the GMAT is covered. It rarely becomes monotonous and keeps the prose light. Much of the other material I came across usually got too theoretical for it's own good.
I honestly didn't expect much when I first picked up the book as I was under the mistaken impression that only the majors publishing houses were capable of publishing worthwhile material, but I was really impressed by the time I was done. All explanations are garnished with sufficient examples (I think most are from the OG) and every concept is meticulously explained without getting too convoluted.
Each concept is put forward in a memorable way and often with tables or diagrams that make it easy to recall.

It doesn't offer much in the way of practice questions (15-25 questions after each chapter), but the book's main purpose is to elucidate the theory of English grammar and it does so perfectly!
I'd wholeheartedly give it a 10.5/10 (11 if there were more questions :lol: )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Thanks EducationAisle for the wonderful book- SC Nirvana. I managed to score 81 percentile in SC and thus, have touched the 700 figure as well. All thanks to the hard work you guys had put in writing this book. Prior to this, I had availed many e-courses but the kind of impact this book has had on my preparation has pushed me to write this thank note. This book is an indispensable tool for any GMAT aspirant and truly justifies the title it carries. The content is one-stop-solution for mastering the Gmat SC concepts. Besides this, it does not cost me the fortune.

Thanks a Ton.

Score Debrief:
Q51
V32
: SC- 81 Percentile
Attachments

File comment: Attaching the ESR on request from some people.
ESR-.pdf [414.64 KiB]
Downloaded 181 times

Originally posted by mohitggaba on 05 Jan 2017, 10:39.
Last edited by mohitggaba on 27 Jan 2017, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V36
Send PM
Having just completed my GMAT, I felt it is important to offer my feedback on a resource that contributed hugely to my improvement in Sentence Correction. I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 690 (Q47, V36). As a non native, my verbal was extremely weak when I first began preparing for the GMAT. I went through several resources but even after studying everything out there I could not seem to get a grip on sentence correction. As a result I kept searching for a resource that could help me improve in this area. I came across this link but was initially sceptical because there were only a few reviews and all the promises from the other resources did not deliver. However, I felt I would give it one last shot and see if this new resource held any promise.

And deliver it did. Not only did I end up purchasing the book but also ended up purchasing the online verbal course and all the carefully created PDF documents of GMAT prep problems from Education Aisle. The end result - almost 90% accuracy (from about 20% accuracy) on GMAT prep problems a few days before the exam. The specific areas this book helped transform on sentence correction were grasping Modifiers, Parallelism and the uses of which and that.

On the exam day, I am extremely confident I nailed every sentence correction problem. I was able to not only validate why I was rejecting every incorrect answer choice but also validate why every correct answer choice was correct. Admittedly, my intense preparation helped. I did end up practising about 3000 sentence correction questions (including spaced repetition) until the patterns became second nature.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam has said that one best book is equal to hundred good friends...I think the SC Nirvana has been that book for me. It was just by luck that I found out about this book after having given up on SC and consequently GMAT. I tried many other books and courses but never was able to understand how to use that rule in an actual question and hence always ended up being confused.
Enter SC Nirvana! I do not think a more comprehensive book is available for someone who is an novice but wants to master SC. The brilliance of the book is that every concept and idea is explained in context of a GMAT question.
My whole approach to SC has changed from being scared from it to really having improved my accuracy. I actually find myself using all that i learnt even in my day to day writing and speaking - collateral benefits!!
The book is extremely well organised and exhaustive and a one stop solution. It is evident that the authors have actually squeezed in the essence of the GMAT SC section into the book and left no concept untouched.
I would highly recommend this book to someone like me struggling with SC but wants to improve his/her score in a short duration.
Over and above everything, what is wonderful about the book is its simplicity and straightforward approach to SC.
Kudos to the team and good luck to everyone trying to ace the GMAT!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
Send PM