Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1540 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cool Score!! Congrats!!

Pls share with us your experiences after getting some rest! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats... I see that you are one of the more serious GMAT takers with a detailed study plan.
I modelled much of my studies like yours.. Good to see you score. Hope to be able to achieve what you did.

Do let us know the breakdown of your scores... Kap Online Diagnostic... Kap1.....2....3...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
[#permalink]
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
good job.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, :-D that's awesome score, CONGRATULATIONS! :banana
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks everyone. The people in this forum have been especially helpful in guiding me through my prep.

Here is the link to the details of my initial strategy:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20849&highlight=critique

Here is a briefing of my prep:

Materials used:

1. Kaplan Premier + CD (Good refresher. Good quant. The CATs are much harder than the real thing. I would suggest doing both quant and verbal to build up stamina, but disregard the verbal explanations; the Kaplan CAT verbal is crap!!!. Quant, although hard, is helpful since it drills in key concepts.) --- I did all of it

2. PR Cracking the GMAT 2006 + CD (Again good refresher. Quant is very easy, i would recommend only attempting BIN 4 questions. Verbal is much better than that in Kaplan. PR CATS: Quant is fairly easy, verbal is decent, although relatively easier as well) --- Did all of this too

3. OG 10th and 11th - The OG is your GMAT Bible, especially when it comes to Verbal. There's a lot of overlap between the two editions. I bought 11 before 10 and thus, had to go through many of the same questions twice. For someone starting their prep, do OG 10 first, then 11; you will be able to spot repeats and skip them. The OG 11 Diagnostic also has some good math concepts. I did both of these. The verbal you will see on the GMAT will be very very very similar to that in the OGs.

4. Kaplan 800 - Good quant, although definitely not "800 level". I did all of it except for sentence correction. Good practice, i would recommend it.

5. MGMAT SC - Awesome for SC. Each chapter assigns a set of questions from the OG10. This is how i went through the OG 10 SC.

6. MGMAT Word Translations - Decent guide, esp. for those who have trouble w/ Rates and Sets. Overall above average.

7. Kaplan LSAT - I tried some CRs from this, but they seemed very different from GMAT CR. LSAT RC was very good practice!!! All the passages are 55-60 liners and have the same question types as the GMAT. I would recommend it for RC but not for CR.

8. GMATclub Challenges - I took four of them, got around 80-90 percentile each time. Fairly good practice: some very hard q's and some very easy ones. If you are going to take these, make sure you go over the explanations and learn some concepts and shortcuts.

9. Probability, Perm/Comb - Read the GMATclub "course". I believe people on this forum do way too many comb/perm than they need to. Furthermore, one has to realize that ETS is testing logic and intuition, vs. the use of formulas.

10. ETS Paper Tests - I only did the CRs and SCs in a few of the later tests. The rest are repeats from OG.

My test experience:
I was scheduled for a 12 pm test, tried but couldn't sleep the night before. I woke up at 8:30 and went over all my math notes and skimmed through MGMAT SC guide for a final refresher. I got there early so started the test at 11:20. VERY NERVOUS!!! The essays weren't bad, good warm-up for what was to follow.
Quant: Started panicking as the section started and probably answered some easy questions incorrectly. After a while I thought i had screwed up and decided that a 700+ was now beyond my reach. Looking back, this is probably the best thing I did b/c from then on, I was calm and able to focus completely on the questions. The rest of Quant was fairly straightforward: many word problems (esp. DS), some number props. I got a currency conversion question too, which i think i screwed up (Forgot what i had learned in International Finance :x ).
VERBAL: This was a breeze, especially since I thought the test was a lost cause. Basically, I gave it my all, but didn't get panicky or lose focus. Very much like the OG, Powerprep, GMATprep and ETS paper tests.

My Practice test scores (in the order in which I took them):
1. Powerprep 2: 640
2. Kaplan Online Diag: 670 Q39 V42
3. Kaplan CAT 1: 570 36/33
4. Kaplan CAT 2: 620 42/32
5. Kaplan CAT 3: 550 34/29
6. Kaplan CAT 4: 590 36/34
7. PR CAT 1: 650 44/36
8. PR CAT 2: 640 40/38
9. PR CAT 3: 690 46/40
10. GMATPrep1: 770 49/47 : some, but not much, overlap from the OG
11. PR CAT 4: 750 49/45

Note: For AWA, I just used something similar to the templates provided in PR. I took none of my practice tests w/ AWA. It doesn’t take much out of you so I personally don’t think it helps build stamina. The stamina building comes from back-to-back quant and verbal sections.

Tips:
1. SC - Focus only on OG questions, some SCs from other sources may be confusing (and incorrect in terms of Standard written english).
2. Take a CAT every week
3. No need to go crazy over AWA
4. KEEP AN ERROR LOG: very important, spend your last few days going over it.

Here's my prep. Hope it helps, ask me if you need additional info.

Here's my question for you guys: I have heard that the good schools like to see a quant score of above 80%ile. If that is true, should I consider taking the test again? (Although I am extremely happy w/ my current score :-D ) Honest opinions please. Thanks

Finally, thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice offered at every step of the way (Paul in particular, for getting me started on the right track)!!

Good luck everyone!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Can you shed light on how you were able to improve your verbal scores?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
TeHCM,
This is what i did to improve verbal:

SC - MGMAT SC guide is awesome; go through the OG using it (it gives references to OG questions for each question type, such as idiom, verb/tense etc.). I started my prep w/ a 60-70% accuracy rate. By the time of the test, i was getting 90-100% right. Stick to official questions for SC!!! Frequently, skim through the MGMAT SC guide (once a week or so).

CR - Use the OG. I seriously recommend doing questions in sets of 3-4, then looking at the answers and explanations. This allows you to evaluate how you answered each question without forgetting the reasoning you used to pick/eliminate answer choices.

RC - Same as CR (do 1-2 passages at a time, then check answers). LSAT is really good for RC b/c it has long, tough passages, w/ similar question types.

Hope this helps... Good luck!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Thanks yb.

That's exactly what I thought. My SC rates have improved to 90% as well after going through MGMAT's SC Guide. Lets hope it stays that way on G-Day! :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
TeHCM wrote:
Thanks yb.

That's exactly what I thought. My SC rates have improved to 90% as well after going through MGMAT's SC Guide. Lets hope it stays that way on G-Day! :lol: :lol:

Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone tell me what MGMAT is? Where can I buy this? Please let me know ASAP.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hello yb, like many others, you emphasize on the importance on error log...

Did you keep a list of 'questions with mistakes' on a sheet of paper?
Personally, I am not keeping a list... I am thinking.. on my last week of prep, i will simply look thru the books/CAT/online resources where i had mistakes + questions which I spend more time to solve.

Wouldnt that be enough? Rather than to keep a list? pls comment.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi buddy, congratulations on your great score~!!! :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
cooldude123 wrote:
TeHCM wrote:
Thanks yb.

Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone tell me what MGMAT is? Where can I buy this? Please let me know ASAP.

MGMAT = Manhattan GMAT, its a test prep company like Princeton Review/Kaplan.

You can buy a copy of their study guides off their website:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/

or you can browse through the Buy/Sell section on this forum.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yb,

congrats. I think your score is very balanced and it also has 7 in its first digit. So thinking about giving it again will be a waste of time. Instead concentrate on apps.

--Bhai

Originally posted by Bhai on 30 Nov 2005, 10:01.
Last edited by Bhai on 02 Dec 2005, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Bhai for the feedback.

Vic, I would still suggest keeping a log. It won't take up a lot of your time and it will definitely be a more organized approach than simply skimming through question sets.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3465 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats yb!

good job. your strategy and score will inspire all of us.

-nakib
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1581 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats yb! How was your timing on the exam? Also, how many RC passages came up ?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts