Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Are Online MBA Schools Serious MBAs?

0% [0]
92% [12]
7% [1]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There are some students for whom a Distance/Internet MBA is a viable option. For the general MBA student, I agree with Porscheboy that you lose out on some of the most important elements of the MBA- learning from other students and networking with them.

Further, you have some pretty good options right in your metro area. For instance, UT-Austin has the Texas MBA at Houston

https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/news/pres ... tonmba.asp

Rice offers both a Professional MBA and an Exec MBA

https://jonesgsm.rice.edu/jonesgsm/The_M ... ionals.asp

Tulane has also offered an EMBA program in Houston

https://www.freeman.tulane.edu/emba/houston/features.htm

Texas A&M offers an Exec MBA in the region as well.

https://emba.tamu.edu/index.htm
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Hjort. U-Texas seems to have stalled on its Houston MBA program; at this time no one seems to know when (if?) it will get going here, and Rice is not offering an online program, or a part-time which I can make with my schedule (obviously, I asked there first - along with HBU and St. Thomas) - the price of a management position is a longer than 40-hour standard week, so only the Saturday programs are seriously workable for me.

It's a nudge off-topic, but since I am not finding this information anywhere else, how useful is an EMBA in Sarbanes-Oxley focus? I ask this because since Enron was based in Houston, Sox compliance is a huge point of emphasis for many Gulf Coast companies - I actually got a nice job offer from a car dealership chain in Arkansas, whose CFO desperately wants a dependable auditor to verify that the quarterly statements he and the owner are signing for the SEC won't come back and bite him - I turned down the offer, because I recognized they needed more than I could offer (my formal Sox training has been limited to a couple seminars from Dun & Bradstreet) , but the offer is typical of the Houston climate. The EMBA has always seemed to me the road for future Directors and CEOs, while my resume is more back-office; audits and troubleshooting. So my game plan was to pursue an MBA with a concentration in Accounting, although I find myself enticed by Finance.

Am I right, or am I missing something about EMBA's?

Thanks.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you make of this statement by UT Austin

"Offer an Executive MBA Program in Houston

Completed: In August 2005 the McCombs School began offering an Option III weekend MBA program in Houston. The program has been very well received by the Houston market, with over 4,000 requests for applications and more than 1,600 individuals attending information sessions for the program. Because of the large number of applications and the quality of the applicant pool, the school has doubled the size of the first class - from 50 to 105 students - starting the program in August. Houston is one of the two most important Texas business centers not just for the state, but for the nation. This new MBA program will be of great value to the school in developing stronger relationships with the companies in this city."

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have added an Online MBA Compendium:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24524
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
What do you make of this statement by UT Austin

"Offer an Executive MBA Program in Houston

Completed: In August 2005 the McCombs School began offering an Option III weekend MBA program in Houston. The program has been very well received by the Houston market, with over 4,000 requests for applications and more than 1,600 individuals attending information sessions for the program. Because of the large number of applications and the quality of the applicant pool, the school has doubled the size of the first class - from 50 to 105 students - starting the program in August. Houston is one of the two most important Texas business centers not just for the state, but for the nation. This new MBA program will be of great value to the school in developing stronger relationships with the companies in this city."

Hjort

Sadly, I'd say it reflects a problem in communication. I have sent emails to Ms. Losefsky, the designated communications agent for the University of Texas, but have received no reply. Also, telephone calls to the McCombs School in Austin have been fruitless - no one seems to have any direct information on the Houston program.

While it is possible that the initial success convinced UT to hold off any additional publicity for now, I do find it peculiar that there should be confusion about the program's existence.

Incidentally, I found the same press release via Google, but I note that there are no follow-up or related articles. It appears that UT made the release back in February, but has said nothing since.

Thanks also for your suggestion about Tulane and Texas A&M. I am looking into both, although the Tulane program website seems to imply a mandatory period of study in New Orleans for regular MBA and some international study for the EMBA, neither of which is a feasible option for me.

I also appreciate the feedback about Online Schools. While I still think I may have to go the Online route, I have asked for information and applications from Colorado State, Maryland, and the University of Tulsa, all of which are brick-and-mortar schools with distance options, rather than Phoenix, DeVry, or Capella. I had a gut feeling about them, and I want to be sure that my sweat, time, and money are well-invested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have heard that Kelley School of Business' online program is pretty good as an online program. Considering their regular MBA program is in top 20 consistently, I could imagine that some of that 'good stuff' will rub off.

I believe the program is called Kelley Direct MBA
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the tip stretchad, I will check it out immediately.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
While I imagine you have already tried this, have you contacted Shannon Chapman regarding the Texas/Houston MBA?

Program Admissions/ Marketing Manager Shannon Chapman
(512) 475-6425
(866) 881-6224
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I think maybe it's an end-of-year break. Right about now, I'm not getting a whole lot of responses (nothing from Texas, Rice sent a form e-mail but nothing detailed yet, Houston and Texas A&M sent packages), but that should change after January 2nd.

Locally, I'm hearing good things about the University of St. Thomas (Saturday cohort MBA program) . Does it ring any bells up your way?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have heard of this program but I clearly cannot claim to be an expert with regard to its quality or reputation. I like the way that the classes are concentrated on Saturdays and thus the program avoids taking over Fridays like some "weekend" programs do. The school also seems to value keeping relatively small class sizes. There are some elements are less reassuring. For instance, the lack of accreditation by AACSB or one of the other major international groups is usually not a good sign. One could argue that the traditional accreditation process discriminates against "teaching" schools- I appreciate the agrument but I am not convinced by it. If obtaining an official business credential is important to you I would be reluctant to pursue a program that is not accredited by one of the major agencies.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good point, Hjort. I actually have a list of the AACSB-accredited schools, but then I have a lot of lists just now. I need to prioritize between the "very important" and the "moderately important" lists.

By the way, I noticed that the Texas MBA at Houston is relatively expensive. Is it acceptable to ask the pricier schools why they are more expensive? I can understand when a school is known as "elite" or otherwise has a reputation that drives the price, but a state school that doesn't have a top ranking? I don't see it.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree that Executive MBA programs are often overpriced. In defense of the University of Texas, while not quite one of the Elite Cluster schools, it does come close. Further, the nearest school of comparable stature is over 700 miles away and the nearest school that is clearly higher in prestige some 1000 miles away. Accordingly, the University of Texas has a monopoly of sorts on prestige in the region. This is not the same as saying it is worth the price- since you have an established career the added prestige of the University of Texas might not be that important to you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Strange. Rice University (Jones Graduate School of Management) has the same tuition as Texas, yet Rice has a much stronger reputation for its Executive MBA than Texas, at least in South Texas, and from the people I have asked about it (at Ernst & Young, Citibank, IBM, and similar companies). Also, Rice's admissions standards seem to be tougher and their average GMAT (according to Kaplan) is higher than Texas. It sure makes Texas look like the wanna-be between the two schools.

Thanks also for pointing out that at this point in my career I may not need a Ferrari to commute to work, as in I need a solid degree more than a flashy one. I have actually received job inquiries in the past year which I had to decline, because I knew that the degree I held would matter. This came from some conversations with some very good friends, and the gist has almost-universally been 'just get the MBA, to back up the resume'. You hear something like that once from a trusted friend, that's one thing, but after the fourth time, you get to thinking that you have to agree.

Again, thanks for your advice. My progress in GMAT studies may make the actual decision for me. Sure hope those Kaplan and Princeton Review tests aren't too far from the real results!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]