Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am not trying to delay answering your questions- I just want to get a better idea of what you want/need out of your business education.

What type of firm do you wish to work for after graduating with your MBA?

To address your questions seriatim:

1. There are too many unknowns to determine the probability of admission to one of the ultra elite/elite cluster schools. It is possible to gain admission to the top clusters if you maximize all variables (e.g. GMAT, LORs, essays) and craft your portfolio carefully.

2. This is a tough call- the Near Elite schools are almost certainly the higher value choice outside of South Asia but weaker within the region. Regardless, I think the ISB concept has great potential.

3. You would probably be a strong candidate for the US Near Elite cluster

4. I would need more information on your career interests before determining some schools for you to look at.

5. I would suggest getting in contact with IIM/ISB and Near Elite cluster alumni to gather their impressions of their education and career prospects

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I am not trying to delay answering your questions- I just want to get a better idea of what you want/need out of your business education.
No flattery but this is something I like the best about u. Its so easy for you to say some simple answer and close the thread. I had to remind that the questions were unsanswered because I am very keen about making sure that you wont accidently miss out. After reading you answers in your other threads, Your opinion really matters to me.

Quote:
What type of firm do you wish to work for after graduating with your MBA?

Frankly, I dont know right now. Whats very clear is that Software job is predominantly no brainer. Let me build some context here. I respect well earned money enormously because I treat it as a tangible attribution of the value you generate. So whats very clear to me is that I want to "make" a lottttt of money. Right now I "earn" quite big amount, as I generally keep saying bigger than average IIMA salary. Well this is one of the things which makes choosing IIM lot more difficult.h

Why all this. Well I need some work where I will use my "brain" to make money. More money just means I add more value to world. My easy thought is that, If I am making so much with out using my brains, what if I use them !!!!! . ( I am very serious till now, this is no crap for me ).

I may want to do the same by opening my own company, so I want to work in a environment which see Start ups very close and gives me a strong network and exposure to international market Hjort this is probably the single most valuable information I have about myself. Now can you please suggest me good schools and companies !!!.

This time I am more sure you would answer this, Thanks is advance.

PS : I am trying to write everything I know myself, so 1 more point. In my company I am treated as a very good team player. Every appraisal makes it a point to put it on paper.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I love your directness- well then let's get on with the show . . .

Take a closer look at the following schools:

Stanford
HBS
MIT
UC Berkeley
UCLA
Carnegie Mellon
University of Texas

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shocked !!! [#permalink]
:shock: :shock: :shock: SHOCKED !!!!! believe me I am shocked. Your are the first person who heard my funda about MONEY and did not say "Please dont put in application" or "please dont say it to B schools". With all due respect to those who told me, who really care for me, I got to say I never understood why should "making" money or desire to do so make you feel guilty.

Back 2 business now.

Quote:
I love your directness- well then let's get on with the show . . .
Thanks. I like the tone, it gives me sense of continuation. I am glad.

I am sorry, I feel my grey matter is not working. I did not understand this

Quote:
Take a closer look at the following schools:

Stanford
HBS
MIT
UC Berkeley
UCLA
Carnegie Mellon
University of Texas

These are all Trans/Ultra/Normal Elite colleges against the "Near Elite" you had suggested before. Do you mean that, to acheive my target I got to get into one of these colleges (assuming u ignoring my chances). If so, can u instead gimme a list of colleges where there is a realistic chance of getting in ( With good GMAT , LOR and essay ) and also helps in acheiving what I want.

Too much to expect . From the same quote, what I hope in most optimistic situation is that you are leading me in a perticular direction by " first asking to learn about these schools", then to ... ( I donno) and then lead me to a decision . ok ok, I agree thats too much to ask for :( .

-- neways, Thanks a lot. I wont disturb you more unless you are OK with me doing it.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your comments/questions do not disturb me- I am very happy to help. I hope that my previous message was not confusing. When I said take a closer look at those schools I meant it literally i.e. investigate these schools to see if they offer the types of opportunities you are seeking. At this stage there are still some important unknowns about your application (e.g. GMAT score) so I think you should keep an open mind regarding which schools will offer a high probability of admission including ultra elites, elites, and transelites. I hope I am not leading you in any particular direction > I am endeavoring to determine your criteria and suggest schools that are consistent with those specifications.

You sound like a very ambitious person and I genuinely admire that attribute in people, especially when it can be channeled in a productive manner. In light of that ambition and your career goals few Near Elite schools comes to mind. Maryland is one possibility.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
You sound like a very ambitious person and I genuinely admire that attribute in people, especially when it can be channeled in a productive manner. In light of that ambition and your career goals few Near Elite schools comes to mind. Maryland is one possibility.

Thanks a lot. I will take a deep look at Maryland.

Question

I read about this in few indian forums. One of my friend was also saying this !!!. What is this --- They say that the placement for international students is not as easy as for US students. Its being projected as descrimination against international students. I could even hear people saying something like 80% get placed in campus and remaining are predominently international students.

I want to know the real situation . Suppose an US student and international student are very similar ( in acads, comn skills etc.... ) how different are the chances of these two guys getting JObs.

Thanks in advance
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ceteris paribus, it is easier and cheaper to hire the job applicant who already has permission to work in the United States. Thus, you would expect some advantage for domestic applicants even if they have the exact same skills as the international applicant. As a gross generalization, the larger and more international firms are more willing to go through the trouble and expense of sponsoring an international employee. If a firm decides to undertake the transaction costs related to sponsoring international employees, it makes sense to do so where one is likely to find a large pool of highly qualified international candidates with exposure to American culture >>> the schools in the top few clusters.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well , thanks again.

Now I know it is true and also the reason. Fair enough. Does it vary much across colleges . What is the intensity of this problem. Is it that 50% international students remain unplaced or is it 5%. Where does it fall generally.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
You might find this useful:

https://www.goizueta.emory.edu/careerman ... stics.html

Note how the US/Perm Res students have a higher base salary, higher signing bonus, and higher Other Guaranteed Compensation.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]