Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2101 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2101 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
CoolJonny, I am glad you like the software! :)

Here is a link to couple posts (including one asked by me) regarding RCs.

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 775#151775

I know its cliche but I think with practice, you should find what strategy works for you. You could search and search for the strategies posted by 700+ takers, but if it doesn't work for you, it really isn't worth that much.

So for RC, I would suggest you take some time to figure out what works for you. For me, through practice, I have found that reading actively and taking notes work like a charm; somehow skimming just doesn't work. Also, I have found that as I'm taking notes, I am able to understand more because I need to know what I should be writing down. Does that make sense? Overtime, you learn to spot the key words, e.g. however, but...etc.. Creating a mental roadmap is also very important. Again, reading speed can also be improved with practice.

Also, I have to stress that taking time to read is not a problem at all. For me, it takes at least 4-5 min to read but since I read actively, I am able to answer the question quickly (usually < 1 min) and eliminate the choices easily (By POE). So the key here is not how long you read, but what you read/comprehended.

RCs were my nemesis but with practice, I am fairly confident with this section now. I only missed 1 RC question in the last CAT.

I'll always remember what HongHu said in one of the sticky; as you are reading the passage, try translating in your head and pretending you'll need to explain it to a 5 year old.

Also, the fact that you are not used to reading on PC screens may be a factor in your reading speed as well. So I would try going to Yahoo or CNN and read their daily news as fast as you can. Their words are pretty small so it should be good practice.

Hope this helps a little bit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
TeHCM :kiss ....thanx a lot dude....after reading ur post ...i felt as if there is ray of hope for me to improve my RC skills :oops: ...I had lost hopes in between....coz the skimming strategy simply just doesn't work for me....but i feel if i just give a try ...by reading actively and taking notes.... I still got 5 weeks for my gmat....and I need hell lotta hard work to do in RC & CR :cry: .....

for CR wat do u suggest.????????????????????????

thanx a lot
all the best..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It looks like timing in verbal section is the weekest area for all of us. I used PR 2006, PR verbal review, Kaplan 2006, Kaplan 800 and OG 11 for my first attempt and scored Q47 and V27.

I am using MGMAT's strategy for verbal for the second attempt. I hope it will make some difference. I am practicing their Diagramming technique and it is taking me more than 3 min to answer CR questions however my accuracy seems to have improved a lot. I have not tried MGMAT's strategy for SC yet. I heard great things about their strategy for SCs.

I am trying a different route to takle RC this time. I am working on my reading speed to be able to finish reading a 70 liner in 2 or 3 min. Hope it works. I can be more confident about this strategy only if i see improvement in my test scores.
8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: 4 Weeks --Need Advice on improving the Speed in Verbal [#permalink]
Optimus Prep's VERBAL BOOSTER for only $199 is the best resource for an intensive verbal preparation for the GMAT. It has included everything you need to succeed.

Features:

- 3,000 questions and detailed explanations covering all verbal question types
– Video lessons explaining all VERBAL concepts from A-Z
– Create and do as many customized GMAT quizzes as you wish
– 9 full GMAT simulations
– Powerful analytical tools for individual progress tracking
– Study from home on your PC, Mac, iPad or even iPhone
– Technology that constantly analyzes your individual learning level and adapts to it
– Optimize your time and study only your personal weakness areas
– No additional books needed for your entire GMAT prep
– Improve your VERBAL GMAT Score or get a full refund

Please visit the link to learn more: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-verbal-booster

Contact our support to get a free 7 days trial access code without providing payment details.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 4 Weeks --Need Advice on improving the Speed in Verbal [#permalink]